My new mixed reef

Reaction score
So it's about time I post up the new setup, it been running for about 2 months now and I'm pleased with the progress.

Last year July I started to plan the new build and in October I started to buy the rocks and substrate to start the build. Items were slowly bought and evn up until now items are being upgraded.

The scape was made and left to cycle in buckets. I used planktonyx bacteria starter which did the cycle in 2-3 weeks. I then added fish and corals along with lighting. Shortly after I added chaeto to the system. You could say I had a fully functional tank in buckets.

The scape that was made was full negative scape design, I wanted because of the look but most importantly have that extra bit of space for fish to play in. I always wanted a regal tang and even though the new tank would be a Lil less than required size, I figured the added swimming space with holes and loops would make up for the swimming space.

Scape was also posted by BRS as I used their NSA video as Inspiration. The scape also has pvc pipes with plugs that I made to click over it for corals to be stuck on.

At the end of January this year, the tank got delivered. I had the biggest size I could fit in the area I had made up, 1400x600x600 with a 1000x500x300 sump.

I wanted to use the same recipe I used on the nano for this tank as well. Huge chaeto fuge with no dosing for nutrient control. I know this was achievable because of the foods and advice I always get from @Planktonyx, Bilqis has been the greatest help in terms of understanding bacterias, foods and tank health. She is truly remarkable in her field and a great asset to our reefing community.

On the 6th of February the display tank was filled with the water and the scape and sand was added. The sump wasn't connected as yet as I needed to sort the plumbing out.

A whole lot of rocks and everything that that goes into the the sump was added, chaeto with lighting kept nutrients at bay. There was no skimmer or Mechanical filtration n up until the nano got moved.

During this 2 week settling phase I was moving easy corals over as well as dosing stupid amounts of pods from planktonyx to build up the population for my mandarin. I also painted the stand just for peace of mind and wrapped the sump, then managed to get a simple flow going to start with the next phase. Putting the skimmer online and start with mechanical filtration, as well as let that fuge start building up. Very pourous rock was placed at base of fuge and lots of chaeto was added.

During this time I also tested the water regularly to make sure there is no mini cycle or anything bad happening. Nutrients were low and params were in check.

Most of the equipment I got it 2nd hand, only the return pump was a brand new item.

Sobo DC return 10000L
Curve 7 skimmer
Idol Marine filter roller
Glamorca gyre
Tunze nanostream 6040

Lighting I'm not that happy with and it will be changed in the future. Currently have 2 x zetlight 6600 and 4 x T5s.

Not a bad start:m14:... jokes. Looking great, going to look epic in a year from now when everything grows out.

At the end of January this year, the tank got delivered. I had the biggest size I could fit in the area I had made up, 1400x600x600 with a 1000x500x300 sump.

I wanted to use the same recipe I used on the nano for this tank as well. Huge chaeto fuge with no dosing for nutrient control. I know this was achievable because of the foods and advice I always get from @Planktonyx, Bilqis has been the greatest help in terms of understanding bacterias, foods and tank health. She is truly remarkable in her field and a great asset to our reefing community.

We were more than happy we could help :) always a pleasure having awesome reef chats. Happy reefing :) Keep up the amazing work.

Good grief what a lot of work went into that scape. Will the copper not be a problem for a marine tank?

Back
Top Bottom