My new marine venture-started out not so good

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Prash06, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Prash06

Prash06

Hi guys

I've been on this site for about a month now. And I've been doing alot of reading. I ended up being bitten by the bug quite big and resulting from that, I decided to go look to get myself a tank!!! So as any other newbie I did alot of research and looked around until I thought I found myself a good deal. I ended up finding a secondhand tank with lights, skimmer...the works, for a really attractive price. Well, thus far I'm glad with the equipment I got with it, with exception to the tank and the LR.

To give a more detailed rundown on what I got, here is a better list:
    - 4ft tank (1220L x 460w x 660h)
    - stand
    - about 30 - 40 kilos LR
    - aragonite substrate
    - sump consisting of 2 dustbins (the actual sump cracked a long time ago so this was his replacement)
    - Lights with a commercially bought fixture, 2 MH lamps and T5 flourescent lights
    - Dymax skimmer (how good is this brand?)
    - wavemakers and powerheads
    - return pump
    - 4 heaters
    - transport and installation of the tank
    - small hospital tank
    - some medicine and pet food
    - about 10 - 15 20L drums

Ok so now that all the items bought have been laid out, let me begin the story. I found an ad on gumtree about this tank. I emailed the dude and we made a plan to go see it. When I saw it, it was nice. no scratches on the tank, fish were swimming happy and the lighting and water quality looked good. The system had 2 dustbins which I wasnt a fan but I figured I can design and build my own sump...so that was sorted. I also noticed he had like these brown things that were everywhere in the tank (I didn't think of it as anything at the time). and had a slight cyano and GHA issue. But i figured it was still a good deal despite the cons. Then a few days before the purchase I ended up browsing MASA and finding out that the brown things were actually aiptasia. And reading about it got me a bit worried. But i figured that since I struck a deal with the guy and requested that the fish be sold (I couldn't take care of his fish, was more afraid i'd hurt them at this stage) that it would be wrong of me to back out of a deal

So I did more research and found out that aiptasia can be dealt with using peppermint shrimp of certain types of fish (awesome!). On the day we shipped it and the guy set up the tank and everything else which was great too. So everything was still going ok, figured I have a plan on how to tackle all the obstacles and I'll do great. I decided to clean the tank, and get it prepped for cycling. Halfway through the process of filling the tank I noticed that there is a chip by the base of the tank. The glass is not particularly thick (5mm) so now I'm worried that the tank may burst due to the chip. Secondly when the dude was emptying out the LR, he plucked out all the aiptasia from the tank. which has now created quite an outbreak. They like everywhere!!! I spoke to the guy about the tank chip and he said he got it like that 5 years ago. He been running it ever since and it's never given a problem. My problem is that if it does crack, I could loose alot of furniture and electronics due to water damage (its in my lounge) So what I expected to be a great start to a new hobby turned out to be a case of stress, mixed emotions and nights where I sleep with "one eye open" (due to the chip). Is this a case to be worried about?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

Hey prash,
    Welcome to the forum, and kudos on doing your reading.

we're really going to have to see pics of the chip in order to comment... Also, can you please measure the thickness of your glass panels?

To be quite frank. A tank is often one of the cheaper components of a setup. So, its worth taking a long think about it. Quite frankly he should've pointed the chip out in the beginning - if its significant its definitely a "deal breaker", so maybe a compromise can be met - like he can pay a portion of whatever it will cost to get a new tank of similar dimensions. Depends on the person and the price you payed for the whole setup etc.

4. Prash06

Prash06 Thread Starter

Hi dane

Yeah I'll try to quickly upload some pictures. Gonna compress them. The side glass panels (where the chip is located) is 5mm thick.

Yeah I did tell him that it was the pivot point in terms of the deal and if he mentioned it, I wouldnt be in this position. I spoke to him on sunday and told him my situation and with regards to the crack. His final decision was that he gave me enough time to decide (even though I didnt know about the crack) and since i bought it secondhand, I bought it as is. So no discount or arrangment has been made.

I found it shocking that he's had a marine tank for 5 years, and he didn't even know about aiptasia.

5. Prash06

Prash06 Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

hi prash,

the chip does not seem as though it will run and is more like a scalling than anything, while not appeasing to the eye, better than an actual crack or proper chip, this can easily be cobered by a wooden cabinet if it bothers you,

in a worst case scenario i would glue horizontal strip of glass over it ensuring alot of glue goes inbetween the tank glass and the strip glued on but this isnt necessary.

unfortunatley when you buy second hand you inherit alot of problems with the system and i advise people to weigh up the cost to remediate these problems their liking before buying the tank. 9 times out of 10 it is cheaper to go with a new system than try rehabilitate an old one

but that being said this can be turned into a beautiful flourishing system.

i would also advise you to caht to your insurer about putting the tank under all risks. there are members on the forum who are more suited to offer you info on this.

but i the case of an unforseen event you want to be covered.

7. leslie hempel

see my comments below in blue

8. seank

seank

Must the the longest 6 posts I have ever seen..........lol

9. leslie hempel

allot to discuss;)

10. Prash06

Prash06 Thread Starter

Yeah I agree Leslie, sometimes a new system may be better than a secondhand. I felt the other problems arent a train smash but the tank chip got me worried. I'll go speak to my insurer with regards to coverage on the tank. If someone in MASA has previous experience in getting coverage it would be really helpful.

At the moment I have 2 options for the tank, fix the chip with a 5-10mm "doubler plate" of glass glued over (I'll sleep easier at night) or getting a new tank. I saw quite a nice deal at Dorry's and to be honest it's still on my mind (4ft tank, 10mm thick glass). New tank, stand and sump will be great.

I'd really like to get the LR free of aiptasia. Can these buggers survive the conditions of a cycling tank? I noticed that they not doing too great in these conditions, some of them have been laying on their sides and others have come out of the rock completely. If I could get rid of the aiptasia it would be awesome. Are there any other methods that I can employ during my cycling period?

11. Prash06

Prash06 Thread Starter

Hahaha yeah there's quite an essay going on here. :) At this rate I can write an autobiography about how I got started in the marine hobby!!! :thumbup:

12. leslie hempel

On the LR subject, i once left my rock (which was infected with them) outside on a cold winters night for 3-3 nights and pretty much all of them died. the bacteria can handle a bit of a knock but its the other goggos that i worry about, if your rock is at a point where you feel you cannot properly get it right, i would go this route and reseed with a kg or 2 of new rock from the LFS.

as for the tank why not use this one form an opinion and plan a better future build, we all started somewhere:)

13. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

they could probably survive a nuclear holocaust.
    I have had them before and the best/only method that worked for me was Aptasis X. Your infestation isnt too bad so wont take long to fix.

14. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

i would advise treating this as a learning tank. I would patch the tank as advised by Leslie.

almost all the equipment could be used in a future setup so the buy was no waste

there are so many things to consider when building a new tank that i would NOT advise you to do so until you have run a tank for at least 6 months

15. leslie hempel

definatley

16. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

oh and either you are single or are going to be single soon with those bins as the sump !!!

LOL

Last edited: 1 Mar 2011
  17. Evo R

Evo R

I agree.Rather "fix" this tank and then plan your next tank carefully.You already have all the other equipment needed so it was still a good buy.Seeing as you dont have any live stock at the moment, why not burn the little buggers with a blow torch!

18. Prash06

Prash06 Thread Starter

Ok great! I was really worried about that chip. I was thinking of placing a plate over but I was worried that it wont be ok.

The stand is quite rusted in certain sections (actually just one). Particularly on the sections supporting the tank itself, about midway in terms of length. its only rusted on the one side of the tube (the side facing the floor). you can feel the rust is quite flakey but I dont want to scrape off the rust just yet as it will rust more at that area and eat away the steel(will post more pics later, left the digicam at the office). Certain sections of the tank are primed so I think he did sand parts down and repaint it. Considering that the tank and stand is 5 years old maybe it will need a good sanding and painting like Leslie mentioned. At the moment I don't have the time during the weekends to do this .Folks are going overseas this weekend for a month so for the next month I'll be heading off home to checkup on the dog and the business. I wish they told me about the trip earlier than this weekend.

So I think I'm going to have to delay the cycling of my tank until the 11th of next month after my test:dft004:. I thought this would be the perfect time to cycle but I prefer to get the tank and everything else 100% before I start.

Neil, my bird doesnt even know what a sump is. I described it to her as a "modified sump" so we'll see how she reacts the day she comes through to see me. Hopefully she doesnt run back out the door!

Evo, good thinking! I don't have a blowtorch but i'll make a plan. Sounds like an entertaining saturday afternoon time killer.

By the way, how level must the tank be? I measured it and the top sits 10 mm closer to my wall than the bottom of the tank. it's like that on both sides. If my wall is perfectly vertical offcourse. I don't have a spirit level so i cant check.

19. durleo

durleo

Hey prash - cant you get the guys who repair windscreens to repair it? Are you goin Fish only with liverock or corals aswell - If it is fish only the a raccoon butterfly should clean up any visible aptasia and you can use elim-aptasia or kalk to kill some aswell. If you want to start with a clean slate then dry your live rock and start from scratch. I have aptasia in my tank but it can be managed. You might dry all your rock and then a few months down the line a coral or piece of rock from another tank will introduce it.

Good Luck

20. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

aiptasia

Sadly dude, u going to have to kill ur live rock in order to rid it of those bugger, yeah u goin to lose allot of bacteria an life on the rock but rather start fresh and do it right than to rush off getting medz ,they don't work, its a tempory fix, they grow back.... Throw the liverock out for a few days till its completely dried out, the boil them in water then dry them out again and add them to ur cycling tank, then add some clean cured new liverock from ur LFS to seed them, then u knw for certain u rid of them for good, they a shit thing to have, kill off all your corals,so this method works, I did it;)

21. Prash06

Prash06 Thread Starter

Durleo: I never thought of that. That could work! As long as it has the same hardness as glass the patch repair work might work!

I've been thinking about aiptasia problem today. And I've come up with a new concept. I know these pieces of shit move around so I've come up with another idea to force them move out of my live rock...I noticed that there is no aiptasia on my LR that is exposed to open air (obviously). So I figured I can slowly drop the water level in the tank and force them slowly out of the rock. when the rock is completely exposed to open air it should be free of it. To kill the spores or tissue it leaves behind while it moves I can just leave it outside for a day or 2 or 3. I can leave a small flat rock in the tank for the aiptasia to perch on so that when the tank is nearly empty, I just take the rock and burn it!!! buhahahaha!!!

Jsplayin: Your idea sounds like less work...I like it. But the dead aiptasia will still be lodged in the rock after you boil and dry it right. If so, does it get chowed up by the goggas when you cycle the tank?

Recent Posts