My new marine tank

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Completebeginner, 23 Mar 2011.

1. Completebeginner

Completebeginner

Hi everyone, I'm very new to marine tanks. I bought a second hand boyu tl 550 and I am starting this tread to show the progress of setting it up. Because of work commitments it will be the weekend before I start to set it up properly.I have been informed and have picked up from reading the forum that you all love pictures so I will have them up asap.once I do I will need as much help and guidance as you have to give. I'm looking forward to getting started. Thanks Jamie :peroni::1:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i see you situated in ireland, when i was over there they had some awsome livestock. smallest yellow tangs i had ever seen. im sure you are in for a quality experience.

enjoy.

4. maxisoft

maxisoft

Welcome... Looking forward to seeing the pics...:thumbup:

5. Completebeginner

Completebeginner Thread Starter

Hi guys I bought my tank second hand so plan on giving it a good clean before I do anything. Would it be advisable to buy all new sponges etc for my filter so I'm starting from scratch. Also, I plan to start by adding sand and water and allowing to settle for a couple of days, could anyone recommend a type/grade of sand

Thanks, Jamie

6. Completebeginner

Or is there anything else anyone can think of that I should or should not do prior to adding water , Jamie

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi there and welcome to MASA .... Great to see you starting up .... I would suggest even before the sand goes in and after you have the tank in its final resting place (thats after you gave it a good clean) to do a complete leak test ..... this will save you alot of heartache and effort .... As for sand try to like sugar fine sand ... BTW ... is this for the tank itself or are you planning a DSB (deep sand bed) in a sump of sorts ...

8. Completebeginner

Thanks chikaboo. I won't be using a sump just yet maybe some time in the future. I was planning on putting about 3 inches of sand in the tank. Maybe 2 first and then topping up with another inch of live sand when the tank is ready. Sorry but What does BTW mean.

Thanks Jamie

9. Completebeginner

Sorry also is a leak test just a matter of filling the tank with water or is it more than this

10. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Leak test to my knowledge is just that, filling with water and see what happens. Switch on al pumps etc to see if plumbing is leaking or not.

Hope this helps.

Niel

11. chikaboo

chikaboo

BTW - By The Way - Leak testing would be water only just to make sure there are no leaks ... I also normally put in some kind of pump inside for moving water around just to be sure .....

12. Completebeginner

Ok thanks guys. I haven't properly looked at the tank as vie been working like mad. So I'm not sure what type of filter I have but would it be advisable to put all new sponges etc were possible so I'm starting of from scratch I know I have a brand new skimmer if this helps.

Thanks Jamie

13. chikaboo

chikaboo

More accurate advice can be given when you have everything in front of you ..... And pics also will be beneficial .... Is the tank running at the moment or has the previous owner had it in storage "dry" for awhile ....

14. Completebeginner

Not sure to be honest I will have to gather more info. Thanks for your help much appreciated

15. Tony

Tony

Wash your gravel extremely well especially the sugarfine stuff. New filter pads will definately help

16. Completebeginner

Hi everyone.
    Just an update on how I'm getting on. I started by giving my tank a clean, just the glass didn't take long as the previous owner had kept it very clean.
    Today I went to my LFS and bought 10kilos of live rock and some rubble. I also bought live sand and enough water to fill my tank with about 25 litres left for water changes. I also bought a 25litre drum of RO for evaporation. I also bought tests for nitrite nitrate and ammonia

So I could not get home quick enough to get it all set up. My tank is now running and looks great even tough it's only rock and sand. I have a skimmer in the first compartment From the right next i have the live rock rubble and my heater in the third I plan to put some green algie this has been recommended but I've been told to wait a while before I do this and in my forth is my pump which has a UV tube on it. I also have a very small pump running in the tank.

I'm planning on buying a few more bits
    1. A more effective power head,
    2. A second heater for water changes
    3. A second pump for water changes
    4. A digital thermometer
    5.I have a hydrometer but want to get the better tool which the name of I really can't remember
    Could anyone tell me what l/h power head would suit my boyu tl550 best or recommend the best of the other bits I plan to buy or is there anything I'm missing.

Any advice or help with this is very much appreciated as I really need it
    I'll post picks so far asap
    Thanks guys, Jamie

17. chikaboo

chikaboo

You of to a great start there bud ... To measure the salt content is the refractrometer .... Much more accurate than the hydrometer .... With regards to a powerhead it depends on what you want to keep .... Certain corals like hard corals require more flow than soft corals or fish only tanks dont need too much flow .... so depends on what your wish list is ....

18. Tony

Tony

What rubble did you buy? Sounds like you looking for a refractometer to measure your salinity

19. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome :)

20. Completebeginner

Hi guys
    My I plan to keep a few soft corals and some fish. Yes that's it a refractometer.
    I got some live rock rubble Tony is this ok?

21. Completebeginner

Good morning all
    I have ordered a refractometer and a digital thermometer from the net. I got a d&d refractometer as this was recommended by the guy I got my tank from. Is this a good brand? I want to by a second heater and pump for water changes could any1 recommend the best brands please. Also could any1 suggest the best brand of powerhead.

I'm really happy with my tank at the min even tough I have no fish or corals.
    Thanks for the help guys, Jamie

Recent Posts