My New Hanna 83200 Photometer !!!

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Fires, 30 Apr 2010.

1. Fires

Fires

This is My New Toy !!!

Will be here in two weeks with 45 Reagents !!!;)

No more water test problems.:thumbup:

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Lekker, dare i ask how much ? :p

4. Fires

Fires Thread Starter

Mmmm Just R14,828.61:)

5. neo

neo

how much you gonna charge masa members for a water analysis...;) (because this goes far beyond water testing i think...)

6. Fires

Fires Thread Starter

What wil they be willing to pay ??

7. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

That is actually not that bad when you consider all the time and effort you are saving, actualy thought it would be R20k+

8. Boegie

Boegie

Much to expensive.

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@Shaun before you confirm your order I suggest you check with Hennie (reef manic). There was an issue regarding the compatibility of the reagents to saline water. He will fill you in on the details.

10. neo

neo

R1 per individual test:whistling:

11. christiaan

christiaan

Why did you pay so much they retail for $800 (Rabout R6000)

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Also recheck that price. If my memory serves, the reagents are extra. A surprising 15k or so.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2010
  13. christiaan

christiaan

I guess it depends on the amount of reagents you buy but I can only see 10 or 15 test needed out of those available - Maybe an extra $150 - so R7500 - still half price

14. Mainstay

Mainstay

15. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

The reptile show is this weekend - After that I will have capital available to look at this - so tagging along

16. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Correct.

I bought a C99 photometer some time ago - about 12 - 18 months, if memory serves. I wanted it primarily for testing phosphate, but was quite eager to also test for other compounds/elements. I thus ordered the chemicals for the nitrite low range, nitrate, phosphate low range, pH and ammonia low range from Hanna in JHB (Bruma area, if I remember correctly).

To my dismay, I found that the only accurate test, of these mentioned above, was the phosphate low range. After doing some intensive research, I found that many of the other elements in sea water actually caused interference with these tests, and made the results totally inaccurate. Hanna itself states that e.g. iron, organic chloramines and sulphide can cause interference with the ammonia low range test, and chloride, iron(iii) and sulphide can cause interference with the nitrate test.

As an example, I have tested my tank's pH with a freshly calibrated electronic pH meter, and with a hobby colorimetric test kit, and both agreed to within their individual resolution (i.e. 8.34 for the electronic meter, and 8.3 for the hobby test kit, whilst the Hanna gave a reading of "off scale" over range (more than pH 8.5). The nitrate and ammonia tests gave readings of 0.00 on the Hanna. This sounds very good, but I have my water tested by our local university from time to time, and know that the values range as follow: the nitrate readings are normally in the range of 0.23 to 0.76 and the ammonia varies between 0.024 - 0.375 ppm. It is also just plain logical that these values cannot be 0.00 in an aquarium (even though we say that the values should be "zero" when tested with our hobby-grade test kits...)

I don't know the instrument that you have bought, and it is quite possible that Hanna could have developed new test methods to make this instrument accurate in salt water as well. Please do confirm this with them before you part with your hard-earned money.

For what it's worth, the C99 does test pretty accurately for phosphate, and I do use this instrument for this test. Because I did not pay much for my second-hand unit, I am still quite happy that I bought this instrument - I would just have been a whole lot more happy if it could do all the other tests on sea water that it's advertised to do on fresh water...

Hennie

17. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

Very interesting read Hennie

Is there any product on the market that you could recommend we use in my shop, other than test kits. I am serious in that an electronic unit would safe us a lot of time. With 6 coral and 30 fish units AND CUSTOMER TESTS we use lots of test kits each month.

18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

According to the instruction manual, it would appear that this model is usable with seawater, they have specified in certain areas of their manual that for seawater you need to add additional drops of reagent or add extra waiting time for certain solutions, but that is only stated on the Ammonia and Chlorine tests, there is no mention of adjustments for seawater tests on the other parameters, so maybe it is fine with all the other tests for seawater. Perhaps Shaun70922 has had confirmation from Hanna.

19. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

You would need to consider the cost of reagents, some of them are only capable of performing 20 tests, I would assume you would do a few hundred of these per month so the cost factor of reagents would play a big part.

20. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Hennie i just pulled out the quote i got from Hanna in Feb 2008.

The HI 83200 has less testing options than the HI 83099 (C99) and at that time was R2K cheaper than the C99 I think the difference is that the C99 can measure COD (chemical oxygen demand)

Is it Useful ?

The reagents at that time for 100 sachets were. for eg

Ammonia low range R486.00
    Copper low range R1183.00
    Calcium hardness R454.00
    Magnesium hardness R454.00
    Nitrate R627.00
    Nitrite Low range R330.00
    Phosphate Low range R239.00
    Dissolved Oxygen R654.00
    COD 25 vials R289.00

So @Moolis the cost per test was the thing that put the idea to rest for me. We test water parameters at every maintenance. So our R3.5K monthly test kit bill would have risen to over R12K

21. Fires

Fires Thread Starter

Hi Guys,Im still waiting for Hanna USA to send me a mail.

100 sachets for what we need to test is around R290 - R 360.

Thats not so bad,I will be testing 3 x a week..

Recent Posts