My New Gravel.

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi guys, have been doing some tests with gravel as I like the Idea of BB, but prefer the look of gravel, but don't like it been blown all over the place. This one looks to work the best it is gravel mixed with silicon, thus making a solid piece of "gravel"

Please give comments. Will it work or not. pro's and con's. Good Idea bad Idea,...

Gravel.jpg

pros:
wont get blown around
wont cover coral
if done in pieces you can remove them, scrubb them and place back if cleaning is needed.

cons:
wont host any pods
no jawfish or borrowing gobys or wrasses.
wont be as effective filter wise, wont host to much bacteria. then again a ssb doesnt host to much bacteria either.

these are just my points and opinions

how are you planning to do this to the whole tank may i ask? i was thinking of doing this to one small section on my tank but just changed the flow.

how are you planning to do this to the whole tank may i ask? i was thinking of doing this to one small section on my tank but just changed the flow.

Remove everything.
One more advantage of having gravel is when you drop something, my silicon one is rubbery so will also work.

Yea Gaz flattened the core issues. Sand definitely has a far better appearance. However In your pic, it looks as though the silicone has peeled off the base. This would worry me.

I would have smeared the silicone on the tank bottom and the added silica. Spaces under the matt in time will accumulate sludge.

I would have smeared the silicone on the tank bottom and the added silica. Spaces under the matt in time will accumulate sludge.

Did think of that, but then I would have to drain the tank,and then let the silicon dry.

This way you can just pick up the "mat" and clean it. It is also water proof, not to sure if the is a good or bad thing.

how you going to stop it from moving around?
what if the current "picks" it up and it breaks your monti's?
just a thought

Back
Top Bottom