My new DSB and ATS

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Nico Kortenbout, 29 Jul 2010.

1. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout

Hi there. So after some excellent advice from the likes of crispin, tobes, sandlewood, monti and marco :thumbup:, I am planning to build a remote DSB and ATS. Here is the plan, for scrutiny by the gurus :)

I Plan to pump water from the sump to the DSB, collect the drain water from the DSB and let it run onto the ATS. From the ATS directly back to the sump for pumping to the DT.

Would it be better to run from the ATS directly to the DT?

The DSB:
    I Plan to use a 1200lph pump to pump water from the sump (after the compartment with the skimmer) to the DSB. The DSB itself I have a medium size black plastic storage box with thick walls and fitted lid. I am going from 15mm outlet from the pump to 50mm PVC piping to reduce the presure and create a softer flow into the DSB. The sand bed I plan for will be about 35cm deep in a 40cm by 50 cm container. This will leave about 25cm clear above the sand. The inflow will be a 50mm Spreader pipe in a T shape. The outflow will be a 110mm to 50mm conversion pipe leading to a 50mm drainpipe for the outflow. I am not planning any illumination in the DSB.

The ATS:
    This is where I will need the most help. I am planning to try and use a smaller tank, about 50x30x30cm. I will run a piece of 80% shadecloth at an angle (about 25 deg so as not too steep) in the tank. I plan to have the outflow from the DBS as the inflow for the ATS, Let the water run down the shadecloth and then drain out of the tank and back to the sump. I am hoping the water will flow through the shadecloth and hence the algae. I am planning on 2 100W powersaver lamps for lighting.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a diagram of the planned ATS.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shane

shane

Hi Nico,
    I made a similar style ATS. I made the screen angle steeper but shorter. I siliconed a short piece on the base and raised the inclined glass off the base. This created a box at the end of the tank, I have the shade cloth laying on top of the glass. From the box compartment the water leaves the tank into my dsb.
    I hope this makes sense.
    Cheers

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I cant see that shadecloth will work. As the water hits the shadecloth it will just fall through and never reach the end of the screen. For this type of screen you need a solid surface.

5. keyaam

keyaam

I have the same type of screen and used scratched up glass with netting

6. shane

shane

Please excuse the pic, but you get the general idea.
    I used glass the create the incline and laid the shade cloth on top.[​IMG]

7. crispin

crispin

personally i would put it the other way around. Id pump from the sump into a ATS spray bar with a fairly high output pump, depending on the size of your overall system (remeber you dont want the water to go through your sump too fast so you will need to work that out yourself) and use verticle screens for the ATS.

then have it collect into the bottom of your ats, flow down over your dsb and then return to your return chamber of the sump.

the primary reason i would do this as youd be able to have a sparybar with higher pressure for the ats and a regular even flow over your dsb, which will be detirmined by the flow of the pump feeding the ats.

just 2c

8. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Crispin: Are there not pods and various other small creatures that will grow in the ATS and that would be good to get in the main tank? Or is it ok for them to go in the sump? I read what I could on ATS systems and many people spoke about the good little creatures that flourished in them.

9. Nico Kortenbout

ps: shane... love the pic :razz::lol: But I get the idea. How is it working? I am thinking of trying to see if I can work a plan for a vertical pane without much water spraying on the floor. This entire system is in my lounge.

10. Nico Kortenbout

So does anyone know how to drill glass or where one can get a tank drilled in
    Durban? I need to get the drains installed on the new DSB and ATS tanks.

11. Nico Kortenbout

Work is progressing slowly on these new tanks. Still having difficulty in finding someone to drill them. Also can anyone provide some assistance in choosing sand for the DSB? I have heard that you can use washed play sand for kids sandpits (that you buy from a local toy shop). But can you use pool filter sand or beach sand instead?

Recent Posts