My new Cube - Smaller/Bigger? Pro's and cons?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Matt, 16 Oct 2008.

1. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

I've already asked a few members on this forum for advice (if i've been PM'ing you please take it that I value your opinion - don't mean to pester ;))

I'm starting a new tank project as soon as exams are over. Now firstly there's a few topics i'm struggling to tackle so I thought advice from everyone would be best.

1.) I'm going to build a new tank tank. Either 50 or 60cm cube OR rectangular shaped tank. Around 150L display. If cube would it be worth going for the 60? If so could I still use a single MH light and a TS1 skimmer?

2.) Lighting - Are any CLAMP on MH pendants available locally? This is the look I would like - i've seen them overseas for around R1500

[​IMG]

3.) CLS? I plan on keeping the tank SPS dominant as well as having a RBTA as the centrepiece. Should I drill the tank and setup a CLS?

4.) TS1 noise? How noisy is the TS1 skimmer?

Here's the tank that inspired me, jsut love the rimless tank with black silcon. SPS with a RBTA and a pair of clowns ;)

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Megalodon

Megalodon

Id say go 60cm or 65cm wide... a 150w halide will illuminate that with ease... have a 600mm x 600mm cube with a 150w MH and it works very well...
    The reason I say 600 or 650mm instead of 500mm is that you may wish to add T5's at a later date maybe actinics... and since 24w tubes are about 549mm before you even add the endcaps you wouldn't fit that on a 500mm cube... I'm not even sure if they would fit on a 600mm - planning on getting some sometime...

As for the RBTA ... lovely idea I want to put one in my cube sometime too... just have to anemone proof my powerheads or go for external pumps... so maybe a CLS is a good idea for that..

I've got a TS1 skimmer... and it's pretty quiet.. especially if it's in your sump cabinet you won't hear it above the overflow noise.

4. Mathewis

Mathewis

I have seen similar lights @ Animal Kingdom in pta. Where is the link to the above posted Tank. Its very much what I am going for with my new tank. Rimless... Matt have you had a look at my cube? Also Rimless with black silicone, but its 800x800x600.

5. Matt

Matt Thread Starter MASA Contributor

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

What's with the corals stuck to the back glass ?

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

These rimless tanks, how long are they rated to last ?

It seems it just doesn't have enough bracing ?

8. crispin

crispin

that is a lovely looking tank:) and sounds like a great idea. although didnt punk build one along similar lines recently?

i would have thought volume is the better way to go, with the increased stability of water parameters associated with it and the additional width will give you more space to scape with.

9. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

To go braceless the tank has to be built of thicker glass, they last just the same as a braced tank if correctly sized and built.

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Matt - here's my take on your quest/questions:
    1) I would definitely say that you should go for the 60cm cube - this equats to (without sump) 216 litres of water (plus-minus - not taking the rock and substrate displacement into account).
    2) I have never seen this type of lighting in SA yet. PERHAPS someone might import it/have imported it.... Best to post in the Sponsor forums.... - I do know that you get the "hanging type" of units, or alternatively the units that stands on 2 "legs" on the sides of the glass....
    3) The TS1 skimmer should DEFINITELY be good enough to be able to handle the water volume in a 60 Cube....
    4) I have 2 x TS2 skimmers, without an enclosure/cupboard hiding them away as such.... they are not really "noisy" - except for some water splashing sound as the wate exits the exit pipe (I don't use the "sponges" to dampen the water sound.....). This splashing I just LOVE, as it makes me think of the sea - and I MUST have been a fish in my previous life..... ;-)
    5) That tank that you posted is indeed awesome..... As Mike said - you SHOULD be able to do this, if the glass is thick enough that the silicone seam between the panels is also thick enough to form a decent bond between the glass panels....
    6) Definitely go CUBE: then you can have your rock-scaping in a broken circle shape, with the RBTA in the centre and the SPS corals on the rocks
    7) The one 150 watt should DEFINITELY be more than ample..

A quick question though (which you did not post) - what sump design are you planning to use?

8) You can easily do a CLS, if the glass is thick enough. Then you can perhaps ie 2 holes drilled in the bottom glass pane (for the outlets), and another 4 in the rear pane (2 for outlets and 2 for the inlets TO the pump itself)....

Good luck with your exams and with this tank design. It sound absolutely awesome what you planning!

11. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

Nice idea very similar to the tank im getting, and you do get the clap on lights at Sams, they dont look like good quality(my opinion) and i would not buy them. If you still have a choose then i would get a Reef octopus external, as they are alot better, or go my root and not have any skimmer at all but rather a fuge and dsb(decent size) as this could add stop some good stuff from being skimmed out, and leaving a space where you could put a skimmer if need be and natural is best in reefing but your chose.

Well good luck with everything.

12. jacquesb

Ocean - are these METAL HALIDE units or fluorescents?

13. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

METAL HALIDE units

14. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

sounds good bro,let me know when you want to come threw;)

15. Matt

Matt Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Nice lanzo!

16. Jaak

Jaak

Matt, this is going to be awesome! I would also rather go for the 60cm...

17. jacquesb

Jason - how much do they go for then? And how many watts? Are they only MHs? Or T5's as well?

18. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

Last i saw only MH and 150watts all i know.

Recent Posts