my new challenge

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by magman, 5 Aug 2009.

1. magman

magman

The other day I was having my bakkie serviced, and while waiting to collect in the waiting room, I was reading an old national geographic, from 1999. Basically it was how the coral reefs are being stuffed up, half of it by divers who dive for the aqurium industry, and how they use chemicals to catch the fish, but chemicals that wipeout the reefs.

Another problem I feel I have found, is that lots of imported fish come in and may appear fine, but are internally damaged. I feel they are damaged internally by the chemicals they are caught with. Remember some imported fish may be come in, sent around the country without being unpacked, and be in the lfs within 36 hours of leaving some poor asian country.

I have decided now not to buy a single fish or coral from any lfs, but to rather catch my own. It is also illegal to sell localy caught fish, but I think I can still swop some of the fish I catch for others or corals. I know I sound a bit hypocritical still willing to swop imported fish, but I feel it as a challenge also. We do love diving as a family for the tank, even our kids who are between 7-10yrs old. We have travelled all along the east coast, and have caught some wonderful fish and shrimp etc for the tank.

I cannot remember losing one fish though that was self caught through disease or sickness, except through maybe fighting (eg 2 cleaner wrasse in a tank).

So if any of you want goldies, chromis etc, let me know what you will swop em for. Also if I want to swop 15 fish for a nennie, understand why!!!!!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi magman. It is not only illegal to sell the locally caught fish but also trading and bartering. So you cannot swop the fish but rather just give it away.

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Mek is right ....

5. magman

magman Thread Starter

I did not know that, I knew you could not sell. I will maybe just stick to catching though for my tank, also if I swop, theoreticaly in effect I am using our local populations of fish. I think I will maybe just stick to buying the odd coral or nennie, cause they not getting damaged, and try and use guys breeding for fish.

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

No problem magman, we are all here to learn :)

7. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

magman if you do want to go that route thr is people that sell frags...etc...

Recent Posts