• If you are a related business or shop and wish to advertise on this forum and our facebook group then please send an email to admin@marineaquariumsa.com or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Cost is R1500.00 for 6 months sponsorship.

My New AWM37 NANO setup

BTA's can be kept under T5's or power compacts, much depends on the depth of the tank.

Hmm Cycling

This is truely amazing Lawrence and I'm sorry if I get you into trouble but why is nobody crapping on you?

You started stocking without cycling. You added an anemone to a five day old tank and it's in a nano... :eek:

If anybody else did this the WHOLE forum would have been on their case...???

Again, sorry if I'm getting you into trouble but I was just wondering...

Hi There:)
True, but i saw this tank recently and all rock, water etc. was used out of existing systems and has all been through a cycle already. The only new thing in the system was the substrate.
100 % true as Alan said but I also used two other vital things….:lol:Aquaria Ammonia Removing stones &Special Blend and that the secret….:tt2:

One thing for sure I’ll never put any living thing a risk.. as I LOVE Marines…:thumbup:

Nice one :) - I am busy building a little nano for my Girlfriend. My main tank is busy cycling ... boring .... never stared at bloody rock for so long in my life :whistling:

My little nano is a little different ;) didnt like in tank filters so I took a 30L tank I bought for the gold fish ;) made two holes in the glass one for return one for overflow and I have built a sump :thumbup:

My sump is about 15 to 20l whilst the main tank is 30l. Have a little skimmer R140 at LFS.

Just painted the back black and now waiting on the plumbing to dry. Should have it running by Thursday.....with the help of some members here :peroni::peroni:

Send us some Pic’s….. thanks for the comment :thumbup:

I think if the nennie colours up then this will be a good seller. Everyone wants a nennie and 2 clowns in a nano! A mate of mine is interested in one but I just told him to PM you as you can tell him where to view one of these in JHB :)

Thanks

Thank you for that :thumbup:

Update

Hi There MASA Reefers:)
Just thought I post a small update on my Aquaria AMW37 Nano.;) The nennie is doing really, really doing well and has doubled in size in the last 24 hours..and is looking really awesome….:yeahdude: I’m very sure there is more than enough lighting for a bubble nennie…and as far as water quality goes al is looking really really good ,just ran a few tests and wow..Im Happy....:thumbup:
030720111587.jpg

030720111588.jpg

And this was after lights out!!!:lol:

Once again, very nice... And please don't get me wrong, I was not critisizing you, more the double standards I have found on the site... :biggrin:
With regards to double standards, please remember there are many ways of running a successful reef tank, the advice that is given is generally given for a newbe to the hobby. there is a formula that works, and is fairly fail safe. This is until you generally get to grips with the hobby and understand the ins and outs. People generally then work out their own systems and what works for them.
Would i ever recommend running a skimmerless tank to a newbe, no. Would i ever recommend a 24hr cycle on a tank to a newbe, no. Would i ever recommend running the Zeovit method to a newbe, no. Would i ever recommend a nenny for a newbe in a new tank, no. Would i ever recommend the keeping of SPS to a newbe, no. Now this is not to say that none of the above cant be done.

Relax

I know you went relax.:thumbup:.No Prob bud..:)
Everyone questions it but Ive used this method a lot and I know it works...Special Blend , Aquaria Ammonia stones good cured live rock , cycled water and you on your way:lol:. We used the same method on our test 2m tank range 4 months ago and were stocking the tank a week later.Ill do a post on that tank as soon as the review is complete. I also useded too go though the normal cycle setup and did with many of my tanks but now with the new technology it makes life a little easier and yes it really works very very well.....:thumbup:

so true

With regards to double standards, please remember there are many ways of running a successful reef tank, the advice that is given is generally given for a newbe to the hobby. there is a formula that works, and is fairly fail safe. This is until you generally get to grips with the hobby and understand the ins and outs. People generally then work out their own systems and what works for them.
Would i ever recommend running a skimmerless tank to a newbe, no. Would i ever recommend a 24hr cycle on a tank to a newbe, no. Would i ever recommend running the Zeovit method to a newbe, no. Would i ever recommend a nenny for a newbe in a new tank, no. Would i ever recommend the keeping of SPS to a newbe, no. Now this is not to say that none of the above cant be done.

Well said and very true..:thumbup:

Once again, very nice... And please don't get me wrong, I was not critisizing you, more the double standards I have found on the site... :biggrin:

Ah man eventually you stop caring :) ... Happens everywhere in life

I say if the nennie stays happy, this tank is a gem! For the money you can't complain and it also has a mini fuge! Thats crazy cool IMO.. Perfect for the beginner and a little tank for the office :)

Well said

I say if the nennie stays happy, this tank is a gem! For the money you can't complain and it also has a mini fuge! Thats crazy cool IMO.. Perfect for the beginner and a little tank for the office :)

Well said.:lol:.If one really works it out its a real value for money set up...and yea Im sure that the nennie is happy mabe to happy as its getting bigger LOL..:thumbup:

Well said.:lol:.If one really works it out its a real value for money set up...and yea Im sure that the nennie is happy mabe to happy as its getting bigger LOL..:thumbup:

but you will still get some people who will complain.. why cant it have a bigger skimmer/ better lights :lol: ... Then they must pay better $$$ :tt2:

@Aquaria-SA

Sorry if youve mentioned this, dont feel like skimming through 4 pages to find it :p

What lighting and flow does this nano come with?

Last edited by a moderator:
This was the 1st Nano I ever owned and there were a 2 big problems I found.

1.) Heat. The light housing is really close to the water, if you run the water high they are actually submersed! this in turn heats the tank dramatically. They seem to have been tackled this issue with the vent fan on the top now which should help a lot.

2.) Flow through the sump. Although this Nano is really well made (originally I think it was designed by Aquamedic then sold under the Weipro Guise), the flow through the sump is really slow. Easily fixed you think, i'll just get a faster return pump. You do that and the pump empties the return chamber faster than its filled which results in microbubbles in the DT. Ok, so to get around this you run the water level higher, problem is then you submerse the lights under water (this is fine because the light housing is water proof) which in turn raises the heat. A kinda catch 22.

It not all doom and gloom though. With a few mods (lifting the lid a tad and putting in a bigger cooling fan) my dad has been running this Nano for about 6 months with no issues and its coral focused. Its really well made and it has a solid feel to it. All the components are pretty top notch as well. I paid R2200 for mine so R1399 is a steal imo.

Its a really good tank if you can circumvent those 2 issues.

Oh and suprising the skimmer is relatively good as well. I expected it to be horrible but it does alright considering its size.

Do a search for the Aquamedic Nanowave 9 for mod ideas.

Last edited:
I had a nennie in Boyu Tl550 and he was fine, water quality must be good, and T5 are fine.

pic

14124e12d46114ce6.jpg

14124e12d4a860a0b.jpg

but you will still get some people who will complain.. why cant it have a bigger skimmer/ better lights :lol: ... Then they must pay better $$$ :tt2:
True....100% you get what you pay for.. at least they getting a nice system for its price.

@Aquaria-SA

Sorry if you've mentioned this, dont feel like skimming through 4 pages to find it :p

What lighting and flow does this nano come with?
Hi there
They come out with 2 x 24w TC tubes & the pump is rated for 420L/P/H
Hope that helps
Regards
:thumbup:The Aquaria Team:thumbup:

1.) Heat. The light housing is really close to the water, if you run the water high they are actually submersed! this in turn heats the tank dramatically. They seem to have been tackled this issue with the vent fan on the top now which should help a lot.
This has been solved , It now has a cooling fan that blows cool air from the outside to the inside of the tank and pushes the Hot air out the two side vents on the hood as well as the rear of the tank.

2.) Flow through the sump. Although this Nano is really well made ,the flow through the sump is really slow. Easily fixed you think, I'll just get a faster return pump. You do that and the pump empties the return chamber faster than its filled which results in micro bubbles in the DT. OK, so to get around this you run the water level higher, problem is then you submerse the lights under water (this is fine because the light housing is water proof) which in turn raises the heat. A kinda catch 22.
This has also been solved and there is no problem with the flow of the water through the filtration chambers , there are no mico bubbles at all when the sustem is running..when you first set the system up there are a few for a day or so , one can understand this as the air dose get trapped in the odd places when you fill up the Nano for the first time,but after 24h theres none. Also no need to increase the water level.

It not all doom and gloom though. With a few mods (lifting the lid a tad and putting in a bigger cooling fan) my dad has been running this Nano for about 6 months with no issues and its coral focused. Its really well made and it has a solid feel to it. All the components are pretty top notch as well. I paid R2200 for mine so R1399 is a steal imo.
Its a great little system and yes for its prices its fantastic

Oh and surprising the skimmer is relatively good as well. I expected it to be horrible but it does alright considering its size. There has also been a few mods done on the skimmer from our side , but its really a great skimmer for its size.

We have really check and strive to deliver a new modern range of product's to the SA market and will continue to improve where its needed as Aquaria Cares for this great Hobby and really want s it to grow to new height's. Thank you for your comments and help.
The Aquaria Team

Last edited:
Looks great

I had a nennie in Boyu Tl550 and he was fine, water quality must be good, and T5 are fine.

pic

14124e12d46114ce6.jpg

14124e12d4a860a0b.jpg
It really looks great.:thumbup:

True....100% you get what you pay for.. at least they getting a nice system for its price.

Hi there
They come out with 2 x 24w TC tubes & the pump is rated for 420L/P/H
Hope that helps
Regards
:thumbup:The Aquaria Team:thumbup:

This has been solved , It now has a cooling fan that blows cool air from the outside to the inside of the tank and pushes the Hot air out the two side vents on the hood as well as the rear of the tank.

2.) Flow through the sump. Although this Nano is really well made ,the flow through the sump is really slow. Easily fixed you think, I'll just get a faster return pump. You do that and the pump empties the return chamber faster than its filled which results in micro bubbles in the DT. OK, so to get around this you run the water level higher, problem is then you submerse the lights under water (this is fine because the light housing is water proof) which in turn raises the heat. A kinda catch 22.
This has also been solved and there is no problem with the flow of the water through the filtration chambers , there are no mico bubbles at all when the sustem is running..when you first set the system up there are a few for a day or so , one can understand this as the air dose get trapped in the odd places when you fill up the Nano for the first time,but after 24h theres none. Also no need to increase the water level.

Its a great little system and yes for its prices its fantastic

Oh and surprising the skimmer is relatively good as well. I expected it to be horrible but it does alright considering its size. There has also been a few mods done on the skimmer from our side , but its really a great skimmer for its size.

We have really check and strive to deliver a new modern range of product's to the SA market and will continue to improve where its needed as Aquaria Cares for this great Hobby and really want s it to grow to new height's. Thank you for your comments and help.
The Aquaria Team

Thats great to hear! Like I said, its a really well made system and it was only those 2 faults I had issues with. The lighting is spectacular for this sized tank so its a really worthwhile purchase in my mind. Excellent starter system :)

I failed to mention that I used this as a fairly successful planted tank as well :)

4621344696_466786e518_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom