My new 5foot

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Reepher, 28 Aug 2016.

1. Reepher

Reepher

Hi all as I am new to reefkeeping I need advice on my new setup I will be running a 5foot with a 5foot sump I have a skimmer dsb and 35kgs live rock and 50ks aragonite what other equipment or additives will I need to start with as I had gone to my lps and the guy tried to sell me every bottle on the shelf I wana keep as simple as possible I want to keep corals but nothing to
    demanding want to keep hardy corals if that exists I've kept fish only before and didn't do to bad any advice will be appreciated

Ps I would like to start my cycle soon as I'm waiting for my carpenter to start my cupboards for this tank

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Lights, return pump, possibly Seachem stability if you want to speed up the cycle. A RO machine or you could buy RO water from the lfs.

tekkengal likes this.
  4. Reepher

Reepher Thread Starter

Got a return n lights wanted to wat I need I term of reactors and supliments

5. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

You can keep it simple for now. It's not necessary to have reactors and to dose supplements, especially if you're keeping hardy corals.

But probably the most basic things to put in a reactor are carbon or a phosphate removing media.

Supplements you won't need if you're keeping a few soft corals, just regular waterchanges. But one you have a lot of corals you might want to start monitoring calcium and alkalinity and add those supplements if you see them dropping.

EFJ likes this.
  6. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

I agree with @TaahirS, keep it as simple as possible. Softies are mostly very hardy and are very forgiving on water quality (as they thrive in "dirtier water"). There is nice variety of colours in softies and there is some beautiful softy systems out there. Reactors can be confusing and sometimes unnecessary. Reactors can come in handy if you have a huge bio load. I think first get used to the ins and outs of a coral tank and then from there you can decide with what extra equipment you need or even don't need anymore.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Depending on the size of the DSB, maybe expand that to add Seachem Matrix stones.

Lights, T5 more than enough to start with. Leds are the future, but you can rather start with a cheap secondhand T5 unit from the for dale section and a year later upgrade to Leds.

Softy corals like leathers pincushions, zoa etc, do not need that intensive light and good water quality as for example SPS corals. Will find the softies a lot more hardier than SPS.

EFJ likes this.
  8. Reepher

Reepher Thread Starter

Ok thanks a lot I learnt sumting new I will take measurements of the dsb wen I get home as well as upload pics as I start my tank for now I got the sump cycling

9. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

I would say:

Lights (T5's will do)
    Return Pump
    Heater
    Fan for cooling (Cheap clip on on over the DT or Sump.
    STC100 (I swear by this ting for temp stability :) )
    Wavemakers

To assist the cycle I used special blend and I still dose as per specifications.

Filter media, I would advise on Matrix as suggested or Orca Biocubes.
    I have a phosphate pad, a nitrate pad and carbon with ceramic rings and bioballs in one chamber in my sump.

No idea about dose as I don't do so.

10. Reepher

Reepher Thread Starter

Stc 100 ???? Huh sounds like high performance oil for the car

Can u please explain wat that is or should I rather ask ol wise mr GoOgLe

11. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

My bad, its temperature controller. It's not that expensive.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

12. Reepher

Reepher Thread Starter

O ok thanks were can I get 1 from

13. Dizi

Dizi

Reef aquatics?

Recent Posts