My New 4ft

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by marinenoob, 28 Mar 2010.

1. marinenoob

marinenoob

Hi Guys,

I finally got tired of my juwel no-sump setup. So went out and bought a 4ft +- 280l tank with a +-60l sump. I started having problems hard algae on my glass again so i tried my hand at adding an algae scrubber. Please let me know what u think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Triven

Triven

cool tank how much did u pay

4. Annoying

Annoying

WOW the tank ooks great, love your scaping:thumbup:!! How about alittle more specs of the tank? How old is it,current inhabitants, Plans for the future,etc.

5. marinenoob

marinenoob Thread Starter

Hi,

I transferred all my entire system about two months ago to this new tank. I used every single drop of water and subs as well from the previous tank. I currenlty have one seio power head running in the tank because the other PH stop working recently. I have a red-sea prizm skimmer in the sump but would like to change it sooon.

Fish:
    1x yellow tang
    1x sailfintang
    1x striped goby
    1x gold spot goby
    1x emp/koran angel .. not quite sure which one
    1x african wrasse
    1x blue chromis
    1x anthea
    1x clown
    1x boxer shrimp
    4x snails not which kinds
    1x hermit crab

i have various corals but not sure of there names lots of mushrooms.

6. marinenoob

any ideas on how to seed my scrubber and has anyone used a scrubber like this?

7. Annoying

Annoying

Great variaty of fish, I've never seen a scrubber like that before but I think the holes are to big for any to much growth of algae but I can be wrong. How long have you been running it?

8. marinenoob

any ideas on how to seed my scrubber and has anyone used a scrubber like this?

9. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

I am no scrubber expert, but ja the holes seem a bit big, where is it located and what lighting are you using?

To seed it use some of the algae growing on your glass and rub it on the scrubber , should see growth in 3 days or so ....

IMHO that sump is not going to satisfy your reefing needs long term, assuming you are going to have corals and a full reef setup in the future ! I think you should look into a DSB.....

On a positive note, you certainly have a eye for aquascaping !!

10. marinenoob

hi,

the plastic i used looks like an ice cube tray but has fine slits in the holes, would it still not be good enough and if so what should i get. space is an issue for me at the moment and i would love a dsb but was told the sump is not big enuf for one. at the moment i have added one energy saver bulb above the sump and left it on permantely since yesterday.

thanks for your comment on the scaping wasn't too sure on how to do the scaping initially.

regards,

11. Neil H

To be honest i would look at a complete redesign of that sump, i see you have corals and i am afraid that sump will simply not work long term.

If space is an issue then look at the possibilities of an DT DSB.. Reef Maniac will be able to help you with this ......

The ceramic rings will not help you complete the Nitrogen cycle, they are fantastic at breaking down ammonia but not in completing the N cycle

If you have in display DSB and a monster skimmer with macro algae in the ceramic rings compartment that would be much better in my opinion .... just remember to make changes slowly !!!

12. Neil H

Hell give it a go .... stranger things have happened..... seed it and let it run for a week or two, you have already built the thing

there are many threads on how to construct an ATS and what materials to use... check some of them out, some amazing results some ppl have had... eg mudshark !

13. marinenoob

what about dsb? do u think my sump can manage one?

14. Neil H

in that sump a dsb will IMO be a complete waste of time ..... you would need it to cover 95% of the sump for it to be worthwhile..... thats why i suggest looking at making your Display tank part of the filtration by having a DSB in the main tank

15. marinenoob

how do i do that? increase the sand?

16. Neil H

Yip pretty much - needs to be a min of 12cm but pref 15 to 18cm, I will ask hennie to comment on this though.

17. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

what are you considering to get.?
    interesting design what kind of light do you have on the ATS? nothing wrong with this design. you might just want to roughen up the plasctic a little to make it easier for the algae to start growing.
    dont know if the area would be big enough for a DSB maybe (if the ATS is effective) just go for a Skimmer thats rated for much bigger than your acctual system

18. mandarinman

mandarinman

good start, the rest will come with time!

19. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Ummm, that's probably coralline algae, and that is a GOOD thing to have. It's perfectly normal to have a growth of hard calciferous algae on the glass, on the rocks, on everything... you won't stop coralline algae from growing with an algae scrubber.

I agree with Neil that the sump is pretty small, but IMHO any DLSB is better than none ;) I would suggest that you remove those ceramic noodles from the centre compartment, and also remove the glass divider to the left of it, thus creating a larger area for your DLSB. The water from the tank can be discharged onto a perforated plastic plate, or even just through a sock, and it will then not disturb the DLSB too much.

I have my doubts about the efficiency of those white "ice cubes" as an ATS, but time will tell...

Hennie

20. marinenoob

so how do i keep my glass clean then because this algae looks terrible and cannot be cleaned with the magnet, does anybody else have this problem?

21. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

And you try clean how often? With what make of magnet cleaner?

Recent Posts