My new 300 temp tank

Reaction score
So, got a 300L tank for my temp setup. The idea is to start it from scratch, but move my liverock and fish over, so I can redo my 600L tank.

So, my Sunday morning started by collecting the tank below.
20180904_165123.jpg

Lots of work to be done.

First had to clean both the tank and the sump.

Then I had to get rid of the Grey paint job. Wasn't a fan of that.
IMG_20180916_152053.jpg

Sanded it down. Will make 2 new doors as it only came with one.

IMG_20180916_190645.jpg

Tank in its final resting place.

Plan for the week is the following

Replace polystyrene.
Fabricate bottom for sump to stand on.
Fit sump
Plumbing
Hopefully get my new Ro filters and start making water.

Been a good Sunday.

RO Filters ordered, awaiting delivery.

Will buy polystyrene on my way home today, and also get the sump in place.

Hopefully RO water can start going in by Thursday.

Last edited:
Pictures update to follow on Monday.

Tank basically filled now, plumbing almost done. Took quite a while to make enough RO water to fill the tank. Bought a bucket of Red Sea Coral pro. Mixing to commence on Monday as well, skimmer will go in, custom carbon filter will go in. DSB already in place.

I am a bit concerned about the Overflow design to a degree, have never used one like this before, will have to see what it does once I turn on the return pump. The problem I think can occur is if the return pump is too strong it might make a fountain.

So, update time.

Tank has been running for about 2 weeks now. Yesterday I installed a quad 54w oddesey light unit. Only 2 bulbs on at the moment, need to get another ballast.

I went to Mica and bough some cable, some clamps, and made my own hanging kit. Still need some more clamps as I plan on changing the hanging kit to allow me to lower or pick up the light higher, for easier access to tank.

Scaping is not done, I just put rocks more or less in a shape, as only half of the LR is currently in the tank, the other half is still in my big tank.

Still need more wavemakers as well, and maybe another 10kg or aragonite.

Anyway, here are some pics of what it looks like currently.

Cable coming out of roof
IMG_20181016_072148.jpg

IMG_20181016_072148.jpg

IMG_20181016_072142.jpg

IMG_20181016_072148.jpg
IMG_20181016_072156.jpg
IMG_20181016_072207.jpg
IMG_20181016_072156.jpg

Looking good. How is the overflow working out?

Thanks. The overflow is working fairly well, I would have perhaps lowered both the overflow and the return, as I had to fit a small return pump. The bigger pump pushed water over the side of the tank.

First fish will be moved over tonight and monitored. Had to get skimmer in yesterday. Also added 2 corals. Will post pics tomorrow. Have been very patient with this tank thus far, and will keep on being patient.

I do have a problem with a bird wrasse though. He cannot be moved to the new tank, as he chows inverts, and I would like to keep inverts in the new tank.

Last edited:
So, this morning that Convict was calm and relaxed and seemed very happy in general. Will only transfer the next fish on Sunday, remember, these fish come from a 1000L tank, to a 300L tank. The convict in there is fairly big, but the next fish to be moved would be the brown tang I have, and that fish is easily twice the convicts size. I am a bit worried about high spike by introducing the fish too quickly, so taking it slow for now. Also just want to monitor that all is well and there is no early whitespot outbreak before moving next fish.

I have learned the value of patience once again :m16::m16:

Haha, I'm sure the convict is used to being in rock pools at the earlier stage of his life.

Ok, so another thing that has crossed my mind. The skimmer is loud, and the room is too close to my bedroom.

So, I am actually going to build an external sump, as there is a Sun Room right behind the tank. Will drill holes in the steel framework of the windows at the bottom for pipes, and the sun room is a bit lower than the tank room, so it should all work out fairly fine. If I do this, then obviously I gain a lot of space for my sump area, so it can expand and all sorts of stuff, and I could potentially use the same sump for the bigger tank, maybe move the two tanks next to each other or something.

I am thinking of taking 3 of those 100L black box containers and joining them up, might even go for 4, do need some tips here. Probably have another one for auto top up fresh water as well.

Chamber 1 : Skimmer, heater
Chamber 2 : DSB
Chamber 3 : Refrigium ???
Chamber 4 : Return pump and auto top up.

Now, if I do use these plastic things, I would join them in the middle of the containers, what influence would that have on a dsb, as water would just basically flow over it. Or do I plumb it so that going into DSB it is at the bottom?

Well, after a long wait it would seem that my suspicion was right. My "semi" is busy developing a yellow tail. I believe it to be an earspot angel, aka Chrysurus. Let's hold thumbs.

Back
Top Bottom