My "new" 24 gallon JBJ Nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by 2balive, 29 Jun 2008.

1. 2balive

2balive

Hi

Finally have a few moments to post my tank. I started it on October last year.

(Still working on a big cube and has bought most of the "big" stuff, but with a house move and work it has taken a bit of a back burner).

Before this I converted a small 30 l freshwater trickle filter tank for my son with a Natal "worm rock" in it, mid last year and then we convinced ourselves to upgrade to the 24 Gallon JBJ late last year.

Did it very slowly (OK, did not have time to do if fast). The objective was to get a simple nano that is easy to maintain.

Filters and Flow

Removed all of the filter stuff inside and used the last compartment as a small but deep DSB, I only used the small round substrate (think it is called oolite) for this (next time I will plan it better), and have a 180l per hour power head that ensure flow into the DSB. I added a Waterboy 3in1 (UV, Carbon Phosphate) filter with a 350l pump to drive this. Running the Waterboy 12h on, 12h off.

The main circulation pump I upgraded to a 1200l/h unit, and added a Tunze Turbelle NanoStream Pump 6025 (2500l/h) (running 12h per day) and later a 1000 l/h power head pointing into the Tunze.

Live Rock and substrate

The core of the rock is from "dead" live rock that I inherited. Use dowels and epoxy to lock the main pieces together and then left it with a few pieces of Kenyan LR to settle for four months.

Fish and others

I moved a convict blenny and a yellow tail blue damsel from the 30l into this with the new rock. Added a clown and cleaner shrimp four months later, got white spot and loss all the fish but the convict blenny (tuff one, actually got him unbeknown to me with my worm rock).

Corals

I added some Zoanthid polyps and hairy mushrooms after four months and over the next two months a frog spawn, a torch and a fox. I also added some green star polyps. Last month I added a Goniopora and a Blastomussa Wellsi.

Getting a bit crowed so only want to add an anemone and think I will have to let go of the fox as it is to big already,

Lighting

Sticking with the standard 2 x 36 W 10,000K blue white combo bulb

Other

Got a chiller, but still need to figure out how to pipe it into the tank. Two heaters, primary one an electronic 200W and backup a standard 100W.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Hi Len, you know some of us cannot read, so hopefully some pics will follow soon.....:p

4. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

5. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

Patience is a virtue :p

6. seank

seank

Much better, thank you.. Nice indeed... What is those white thingies on the glass???

7. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

8. Alfie

Alfie

Looking good Len. Snail eggs Sean.

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

Looking great, Len. No fish ?

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

nice Len,time to stock up :)

11. highfive

highfive

Get rid of that Bryopsis no while you can. Otherwise it may take over in the long run.

2balive likes this.
  12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Thanks for the update Len! Your nano is really looking awesome man! HHHhmmm - anemone? We will have to debate the lighting of the nano for the nemmie....
    BUT, everything else looks GREAT! Perhaps 4 fish in a 24 gallon nano might have been a wee bit too much? You don't have a nano skimmer, do you?

13. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

Gee, and I though they were pretty. Thanks for naming it, read up on them, yip, got to get rid of it.

What is the best way of doing this, without having to hack the torch out of its epoxy fixing?

14. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

Anemone ?

72 watts on this depth should be OK? I have seen anemones in this tank on the web, but has anyone got experience with one in this BJB?

The marine thing started when my son wanted a nemo and a anemone, so the idea was to add a anemone when the tank is a year old?

Views?

Fish

I only had wanted three fish (or does the shrimp count as a fish?). All went well, until I put the clown in.

How many cm of fish should my setup be able to handle safely. My water parameters are excellent and stable now, and I don;t want to struggle with it.

Views?

Skimmer

No, no skimmer, only saw the 28 gallon JBJ (with the built in skimmer) a day after I bought this one. The 3in1 filter and the DSB seems to keep things stable (if I replace the media every month religiously) even when I feed my corals, but I suspect it is a very fine balance in this small volume of water.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2008
  15. mike Bushie

mike Bushie

I have four fish in the same tank as yours. I do regular water changes 15% a week and the tanks water quality is great everytime i test it. If you get an anemone you can't put as may other types of coral. It will sting the crap out of them. my clowns live in my colt coral ( which i thought wasn't a cool coral till i stuck it in my tank. ps very nice coral) it looks very cool will post a pic when i get home or just check my theard "my work in progress" there is a pic there.

16. mike Bushie

mike Bushie

Plus you will have to improve on the lighting. Ps There is space for another globe if you look behind the others

17. Mekaeel

If you planning on adding an anenemone,a carpet anenemone isnt all that light demanding as compared to a Radiathus.

Up to for 4 fish will be fine.as long as theres no fish that can outgrow the tank.A pair of shrimps can also be added.

you dont need a skimmer if you keep up with atleast 15% weekly water changes on the system, and keep your feeding routine to 1 time a day.

18. Warr7207

Warr7207

Ain't carpet nemmie quite aggressive ?

19. Mekaeel

Sand anenemones and Carpet anenemones arent all that as aggressive as the Radianthus.
    on second thoughts,a Sand anenemone will be a better option for this size of a tank.

20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Looking good Len, your tank is coming along nicely :)

21. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

nice nano dude!
    what about more LR?
    do you have a cuc?

Recent Posts