My nenie died...

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Steven Woodbridge, 23 Jan 2011.

1. Steven Woodbridge

Steven Woodbridge

Thanks guys for all the help but last night my nenie died and i threw it away. Def the tank was to fresh to put it in. will wait a year before i put one in again .......:(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Sorry to hear this.
    Loosing livestock is never nice. Im sure with all the advice you get on the forum (and having someone like Leslie helping you) , you next nennie will thrive.

4. Steven Woodbridge

Steven Woodbridge Thread Starter

Nenie

I started my tank (600L) 8 weeks ago and put a Nenie in the other day with two clowns. Everyone on the form said that i must take it out cause its going to die. Well i did a water change today and not even an hour later and he was stone dead. What has caused this and why would this happen? :eek:

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I am confused. You now have three threads asking about the anemone that died. I understand your enthusiasm and quest to gain knowledge. I feel it might be better to get the basics right first and gain a lot more knowledge of the hobby before the intricacies of anemone keeping is addressed.

There are many threads on this forum about anemones please take the time to research and read them.

When in a year or so your tank is matured, stable and capable of keeping an anemone, go for it. You will get all the help and advice here.

An anemone does not die in a few hours or a day for that matter. It slowly deteriorates. Experienced reefers pick up these symptoms very quickly and move the animal to a more suitable environment. The water change you did (my guess/assumption) was most probably due to a discolouration/cloudiness in the water.

However, check your water parameters after removal of the dead anemone. Ammonia and Nitrite issues will wipe out your tank if not dealt with timeously.

Hope this help you understand a little better and sets you on the road to a successful reefer soon. Use and abuse @leslie hempel as much as you can. He will help :)

6. inflames

inflames

Hi Steve,

Welcome to MASA, quiet simply your system cannot handle a nennie at this stage, The estimated time for a system to amture is about 9 months before you should even start to add a nennie, What species nennie was it? Do you know its specific requirements? Lighting, Feeding, flow ect ect?!?!?

Nennies live for 100 of years in the ocean, we are very lucky if we get it right for a few years, but almost any nennie is living on borrowed time is our tanks!

There are a number of reasons why your nennie died, dont wanna get into it or speculate. In future please do allot more reseach into what the requirements of nennies are before you add any to your setup, ask as many questions as possible on MASA, BEFORE adding a nennie and know what your responsbility is when you decide to get one.

Good luck in future...wonder what Crispin has to say about this....:eek:!!!!

7. Steven Woodbridge

Thanks for your help. Still new at this site and getting the hang of things. sorry for the 3 threads.

8. Steven Woodbridge

Thanks for your help. I have no clue what type it was. I have a pic of it in my tank folder. Will def look more into it before adding another one so soon.[​IMG]

9. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

steve where did you get your water from?

10. Steven Woodbridge

The aquarium beot.

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

No problems bud. i am sure a MOD will help out and consolidate for you.:thumbup:

12. leslie hempel

steve you need to be cautious of where you are collecting your water, we had 2 terrable storms this week resulting in the rivers flowing, this will result in a lower salanity and sewage flushing into the sea.

while this may not be the exclusive reason your nennie died it may have contributed, how are the clowns looking? are you testing and if so give us more detail as to what the various readings are?

the more info we have the better..

13. Steven Woodbridge

Jeez ya that makes sense. Im testing Nitrites (0) Nitrates (2) and my salinity is in the green on my float tester. Is there something else i should test for. Im going to catch fish on the 4th in Mpame and my tank must be 100ds. The clowns seem happy. Eating like mad and swimming all over now without the nenie. I also have aCleaner shrimp i nthe tank, but he doesnt move arount much. The clowns swim flat out up and down hope thats right.

14. leslie hempel

i need to come past sometime and see, i will try make a plan but i am over the wall with moving this week,

try nott o add too many things to the tank and let it settle a little, if you do catch fish make sure you are only putting what you have to otherwise an overload on the tank will occure possibly killing everything.

what test kit are you testing with? the ammonia value? nitrite is fine if the test is accurate but im suspect about the nitrate reading being 2? again make of kit will help us gauge its accuracy.

15. Steven Woodbridge

Its a Salifert kit. You can see them in front of my sub tank in this pic. I wont over crowed it. When ever you ready to come and check it out Les will be much appreciated. Im going to Lesotho for 3 days from Teusday so my week also buggered dont stress.

16. Steven Woodbridge

[​IMG]

17. Anemone

Anemone

Steve, what makes you think it was dead? "Stone dead" just isn't working for me. ;)

18. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Did you smell it?

A dead anemone will have a very nasty smell, and/or appear to be "dissolving".

If it did not stink, then it was probably just retracted due to the change in water parameters...

Hennie

19. leslie hempel

agreed, an anemone is only 100% dead when its practically falling apart.

20. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

so a very much alive nenny went in the bin by the looks of it.....

21. chas84

chas84

Very sad to hear about this.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2011
Recent Posts