My most totally excellent Aquarium

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Wetty, 21 Apr 2009.

1. Wetty

Wetty Rockford Fosgate Fish

So iv had my aquarium running now for bout 194 days....spose thats roughly 7 months. Anyhoo....iv new to the hobby...and learning more and more everyday. Iv always got weird Qs...but that keeps u guys going. lol. Im lucky enough to have a cube tank, bout 12mm thick all round and 20mm base. Nice canopy and decent cabinet...but im nervous bout the cabinet, it doesnt have a steel frame. Its all wood, but in the near future ill have a new cabinet and canopy made....all flush with the tank. The cabinet isnt full length with the tank...ist bout 20mm shorter on both ends...so my sump tank cant fit in it. And I dont want the usual 2foot sump tank.
    I had a custom sump built for me and it cost me literally next to nothing, just had to get to Pretoria north on a hot evening to collect it. All thanks to Tommy ( ********** ) Give him a call and see what he can do for you. Along the line was a lil bit of a mix up on communication...I wanted 4 compartments not three. lol lol

I dont have much at this stage....but lil by lil im building up a great aquarium, iv been lucky enuff to recieve some livestock for nothing, including a bubble tip nenny. Hes not completely happy....but hes growing and surviving so far....well for the past 4 months. Unfort I didnt have a choice but to take him when my tank was still young.
    Iv got a D+D Razorline lighting unit with 1 Geissemann actnitic+ T5 tube and 1 Geissemann aquablue T5 tube. Both 3 foot in length and one single T8 2foot nightlight...think its sum chinese brand.
    In the beginning I added bout 40 - 60kg of playsand and bout R20kg of crushed aroganite. Got two big chunks of Lebowa rock as the base and bout 12kg of biorock i bought at Exotic pets in boksburg north. Theres bout 12kg of mixed liverock added after and im adding more as i go along. Iv got various mixed algae growing like mad...and some algae from my one trip to the ocean.

Iv got a few fish...namely :

1x maroon clown
    2x 4striped damsels
    2x blue damsels
    1x lime wrasse
    1 x bicolour chromi
    1x cleaner shrimp
    1x bubble tip nenny
    2x slugs
    1x sponge
    and various cleaner crews. And anything else iv forgotten about.

Iv been trying to take pics of them...but they are very camera shy.
    Iv never had any probs with my setup so far.....no deaths, disease or massive fluctuations in water parameters.
    I do test weekly and add supplements weekly...namely Red Sea Trace elements, Iodine, Molybdenum and Strontium.....my Calcium has run out. lol lol

Iv very recently added my sump into the setup....eventually. lol, its been a while that it was just standing there.
    The first compartment is my DSB....jsut added the playsand 3 days ago.
    Second compartment is bioballs, and small pieces of liverock. (gona remove the bioballs soon, as advised by the guys at Idol Marine ).
    Third compartment is skimmer and naturally the last is the return pump.

My overflow was added just after I got my sump running....its a Tunze overflow box. Iv also got a Reef Octopus overflow box....but it doesnt fit between the tank and the wall. The tunze does.

ill be updating my progress as I go along. Iv made many mistakes....and ill make many more, but learning is the fun part of the game.

This is a pic of my tank just after the sump circuit was completed and the overflow started working for the first time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres the sump tank being installed...unfort it cant fit into the cabinet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres a pic of my temp pool hose pipe modification....iv asked a few Qs bout this on the forum. lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My return to the display tank...cant really see it that well and also im sorry bout the camera pics....samsung cellphones dont have good 5mp cameras. lol. Look at the far righthand side corner...u mite see it. lol
    [​IMG]

My Tunze overflow box. hopefully i can add the RO overflowbox in the near future.
    [​IMG]

Some random older pics from a few months ago :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Apr 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Looking good there although I would suggest getting a better stand, I'm really worried about the strenght of your current one. I would also remove the bio balls as they serve no purpose except in a wet dry filter and will just collect detritus over time giving a nitrate and phosphate problem.

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

nice work there....

A couple of questions and comments

Why did you decide to have your tank overflow water go into the DSb compartment? Do you find the DSB is more efficient this way ?

Why do you choose to run bio balls ? With those occurring before the skimmer i would think they act as a detritus trap? reducing the skimmers efficiency ?

5. Wetty

Wetty Thread Starter Rockford Fosgate Fish

The sumps on the floor....well theres a few strips of foam under it. The stand is for my snake tank. lol

Wanted it as low as possible...like it would have been in the cabinet.

6. Wetty

its the closest to the overflow and the DSB was supposed to be in a second compartment as i wanted...but im one compartment short. So I gotta make due with what I have.

Also...I had the bio balls laying around...and ill be removing them soon.

And....im new to the whole sump concept...so its my first attempt, and any advise will be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

7. Neil H

8. Wetty

Cool. Ill extend the overflow pipe when I get home to the far left compartment, and move my protein skimmer. Its a Turbo Queen t2000 skimmer. Very small and basic skimmer.

When u say egg crate...what exactly do u mean? Im thinking of the compressed cardboard trays...

9. Neil H

egg crate is the same as light diffuser (seen below flurescent lights) basically a white plastic grid... its inert and great for building stuff in tanks.... if you look in my tank thread i have some pics of a rock stand i built using egg crate.

I think given the tank size you really need to look at a TS2 or similar ... troll the 2nd hand forums and i am sure you will find a good deal, or PM the sponsors

10. Wetty

Ah...iv a whole sheet of that at home. Ill mark out dims on wednesday.

Im saving up for a Red Sea C-skim 1200....thats the only skimmer I want. :biggrin:

11. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Looking good wetty!!! Just two suggestions and one question - not sure if it's been mentioned.

1) Why not replace the swimming pool hosing with normal 40mm or 50mm PVC piping with bends? The problem with swimming pool hosing is that it can clog up with lots of "pooh" due to the ridges in it. PVC pipe is much better...

2) Those algae growing at the very top of your tank; you may have noticed they grow like crazy!!! I would suggest tanking it off there, and putting that in your DSB. I have the exact same algae in my DSB, and let me tell you, I remove a hand each weekend.

3) Question: How deep is your DSB? Difficult to judge, but make sure its minimum 12cm deep or so.

Other than that - yeah - coming on NICELY!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

12. Wetty

i wanted PVC pipe....but it doesn fit between the tank and the wall. Theres no ridges on the inside of the pool pipe... but it only temp for now anyway. :lol:

The DSB is bout 15cm. Iv seen sum threads stating that it neednt be deeper than 15cm.....bout 10 - 15cm on average.

13. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Okey, thanks for clearing that out (pool pipe) If the DSB is 15cm thats fine!!! :thumbup:

14. Wetty

:lol: As I go along ill be improving and improvising

15. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

thats the only way you are going to learn and understand this hobby is to tray different methods to suit your situation and to have fan.

16. crispin

crispin

comming along nicely wetty, a little way to go but getting there :)

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Looking GREAT so far Wetty! Good show on the patience, man!

18. Jaak

Jaak

Looking Good wetty.

19. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Any particular reason why you want the RO overflow box instead of the Tunze one?

20. Wetty

Its got a bigger surface area of skimmage and my Tunze seems to be struggling with the flow into the sump

21. Wetty

Im curious...u said that their shudnt be much oxygen....but wont the return pump being above the DSB pull oxygen into that chamber before flowing back into the tank?

Recent Posts