My Midas Blennie got Chowed

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by keithredding08, 29 Mar 2008.

1. keithredding08

keithredding08

I found my Midas Blennie trapped in between two rocks this morning and it seemed like he had been chowed by one of my crabs.

I only got him four days ago and his behaviour from the onset seemed a bit strange. He kept to himself vertically in one side of the tank. Can anyone let me know if this is normal behaviour for a Blennie.

I'm gutted but I dont think that I will get one again soon.

:(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

sounds like he wasn't good to start with. was he eating?

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hey Keith, sorry about the fish. His behaviour does sound like there was something wrong with him when you first bought him. That behaviour is not normal.

Could be a couple of things...

Did you acclimatise him properly?
    Was he being terrorised by another fish? What other fish do you have in the tank?
    Could have already been sick at the pet shop.

He more thank likely died overnight and drifted onto the rocks or substrate and the crabs would have got hold of him there and dragged him to their lair to devour him.

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Midas is my favorite fish and is the reason I stayed with this hobby. That behavior does not sound right, Was he a really dark colour or bright gold and blue ?

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

My Midas Blenny is a real caracter, he eats like crazy and swims very actively. That behaviour doesn't sound right. The first day I got mine, he was hiding in one of the holes in the live rock at first, when he saw all was well, he took over the tank :p - I like him a lot.

7. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Yeah my Midas blenny is by far my favourite fish! Sounds like you got one that wasn't well to start with, did you acclimate him properly?

My blenny also hid in the LR for a long time, but now comes out a lot to say hello and ask for food. Much more of a pet with so much character compared to my other fish!

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Another MidasBlennie owner :)
    Same behaviour - hid away for a week or so in the live rock (I could see him though - he was still OK). I think that it takes a while for them to find a hole/space that they happy with. And then mine came out for food.... And now - It's nearly ALWAYS out for food ;-)

Funny thing though - it "tries out" other sleeping spaces. It even slept in my sarcophyton coral when the sarcophyton was "sulking" (hunched up) ;-)

Also - it does not/did not "hover" in any corners - BUT - I do acclimatize my fish and corals for at least 2 hours before they go into my tank....

Recent Posts