My Mandarin isn't eating!!

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Dre, 20 Aug 2013.

1. Dre

Dre

Hi everyone. Please can someone help. My Mandarin isn't eating. I have even taken him out of the tank and placed him in a container with brine shrimp and he doesn't eat. He is getting thin and I am starting to worry. The guy at the LFS said that he would eat the brine shrimp. What do you recommend that I feed him or I should do? Please help!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Frozen brine or live brine?
    Mandarin fish are notoriously fussy eaters that take a long time to learn how to eat other food types (assuming that you did not know this).

Have you tried feeding live food? If it is lie food that you are placing in the container, he may not be eating it because of stress.

What size tank do you have?

4. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Day Dreamer Deluxe

They normally peck at pods, so if you have high population of pods in your tank they should be OK. They struggle in newer tanks. Good luck they are really pretty fish to have in the tank !

5. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

I didn't know that. It is frozen shrimp. I have a boyu tl550 and he is tiny, about 5cm. I have had him for just over a month so he has been eating but I don't think he has eaten much.

6. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

In the interim, try to get your hands on live mysis or hatch baby brine shrimp and get him to eat that.
    The boyu is on the small side for keeping a mandarin, they need a constant supply of food and can wipe out the live food (copepods) in a short period of time.
    This thread should help you, I wil try and dig up more for you:
    The Mandrin Diaries - Marine Aquariums South Africa

7. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. I will go get that tomorrow. Can I not buy anything to increase the copodes population.

8. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Nothing available in South Africa unfortunately :(

10. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the help. I stay in Greenstone Edenvale and you?

11. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

12. mornewil

mornewil Morne

difficult feeding mandarins as they are slow eaters. meaning they eat little at a time over a long period. in a mature tank with lots of pods they will scavenge and eat all day. even if you get them onto frozen food they have to be kept well fed throughout the day. feeding them once or twice a day wont be enough as they will consume very little in that 5 mins. best way is to create them a feeding station somewhere in your tank and feed them multiple times throughout the day otherwise they will starve

13. Dane G

Dane G

Ok go through my thread the Mandarin Diaries, purchase the plastic breeding box that they use for freshwater fish, this will allow the Manadrin time to eat in peace I made a brine shrimp hatchery from a coke bottle, google will provide you with the plans, start the first week or so feeding only BBS, then a good trick I figured out was to place frozen or pellets on the bottom of the pen, then add the BBS the Manadrin will eat the prepared food. While sucking up the BBS, I used ocean nutrition brine shrimp eggs and the first frozen foods I feed was lobster eggs and super shrimp, over time increase the ratio of prepared foods and decrease the BBS, don't give up best of luck bud

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  14. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I got a dragonet from a friend. it wasn't eating at all in his tank and his stomach was so indented we were wondering how was the fish even surviving. I started giving it ocean nutrition pellets and toy surprise it started eating. at first it would eat one or two only but in two weeks time would eat all the pellets I would give it.. normally about 10-15. I feed it once a day when I feed my other fish and it seems happy the stomach is nice and fat too.

15. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

the problem with mandarins and dragonets is that they are a bit like chickens in the way that they like to stare with one eye at what they gonna nibble on for few seconds and then go for it. that's why I think they like pods because they can see the pods moving around and yet not too much to make catching them difficult.

16. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

@HOT SAUCE Which ocean nutrition did you give the mandarin? I have the formula two ocean nutrition pellets. Will that be OK?

17. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

@Dre i think its the Formula Two Ocean Nutrition pellets yes. i'll confirm when i get home tonight. the pellets are quite small and dark brown in color.. i just googled the Formula Two and they are greenish in color so it might not be it. but my guess is that any pellet that sinks to the bottom and can be placed near the mandarin will work.

18. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

@Dre go to wild on pets and get ocean nutrition nano food, its a small jar with live brine in
    [​IMG]

19. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

OK great thanks I saw that and was thinking of getting it. How do I use it? Do I just place some into the water?

20. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

also get yourself a floating guppy breeding trap, place mandarin in there for a few days and drop a few drops of live brine in there...
    how many other fish in the tank?

21. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I thought that this product was discontinued?

Recent Posts