My "little bigger than the last one....."

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by archiecrain, 5 May 2011.

1. archiecrain

archiecrain

So the cycle goes.....last tank was getting to small wasnt able to keep temps stable.....so I built a new tank :thumbup:

It's very much the same as the last one just bigger...

Dimensions

600l x 450w x 450H (Rear 15 cm is for overflow and filtration)

Equipment (most carried over from old tank)

Lighting

Dymax 150 Halide Lamp 10K bulb

Skimmer

Dymax 300l nano skimmer (not gonna cut it for long me thinks)

Water Flow

Resun 1000l return pump (noisy but works)
    Resun 2000l wavemaker
    Seio 1000l wavemaker
    Dymax 200 pump

Planned

Bio Pellet reactor/ Zeovit reactor....depends on my research

Stocking

Transfered all my old corals over as well as used the original water and liverock
    The focus of the tank will become SPS corals. I will also add an anemone once the tank reach's a level of stability and maturity that I am happy with.

Here are some pics, got a new camera, so pics will get better as we work out how to use it

FTS

[​IMG]

some coral pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My sps corals are going brown....nutrients are still high after the move

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and my two true Perc clowns....I got them a week prior to the change over....small one get whitespot from time to time, but seems to be getting much better....I think because of that I wont be able to add any new fish for a few months I think....

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gaboon

gaboon

Nice Archie, how many litres is it?

4. gaboon

gaboon

oh ya, I'm sure I can help you out with an SPS frag or 2;)

5. archiecrain

archiecrain Thread Starter

Its about 120l total capacity.....I need to calculate it better for future dosing.....

That would be awesome.....Its always difficult to find small SPS frags for us guys with small tanks.

Last edited: 6 May 2011
  6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

very cool!
    love the gravel

7. archiecrain

I thought so something different. I looking forward to how its going to look as I get more corals etc.

On another note....I have been useing Prodibio on this tank and and thus far have not evan had a diatom bloom evan though I measured a small amonia spike after the change over....Pretty amazing stuff as I have yet to detect Nitrate in this tank so Im effectivly stopping it from having a mini cycle....

One concern I have is would this not affect my softies as there is clearly not much for them to consume? The Prodibio has quite suddenly reduced Nitrate in the tank from acceptable to undetectable....

Last edited: 6 May 2011
  8. gaboon

gaboon

Feed a little more then, I doubt they'll starve though. Let me know when you wanna come round.

9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i use Reef Snow or frozen lobsters eggs for my softies

10. archiecrain

quick update

Got some SPS frags from @gaboon to get my small collection going. Got them mounted and they all seem to be getting on well getting great polyp extensions.....note to self....dont buy coloured putty again....

And as a treat I got myself an anemone as Ive been wanting one for ages, but only now am I satisfied that the this system will keep it happy. It has moved to the other side of the rock since I took the pictures and is opening up massively now, Im surprised at how big it is:)....the clowns have noticed it and inspect it now and then, so Im holding thumbs!!

Im just unsure how to feed it....tried useing tongs and placing small peices of food on its tentacles, but it just retracts its tentacles....??? So as yet have not got it to eat.....been only 4 days.

here are some pics:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. student

student

nice nennie, looks like it will be around the same size if not bigger than mine when it opens up and fully extends hey!!

12. Tony

Tony

Nice tank Archie

Archie look at the recession of your one SPS frag. What is your alkalinity, calcium and magnesium like as base recession is a sign of one of those parameters being out? Keep an eye on it and be prepared to cut/frag it should the recession get worse in order to save it. I have low nutrients but dont experience problems with my zoanthids. In fact they're growing like mad and I use my regular fish food and cyclopeeze for my anthias so they could indirectly be getting food from that source as well as high lighting. My ricordea dont seem to,like a lot of light though. I'm going to have to move them lower in the tank

13. archiecrain

I got a fright when I came home the one evening to see how open it was....It was perhaps half the size at the LFS!! So now Im going to have to wait for it to settle completely and then plan future coral placement very carefully! Although I was expecting it to grow to the size of yours in the future....

Last edited: 20 May 2011
  14. archiecrain

My KH is now constant @ 9 and Ca @ 460....no more other fluctuations in temps etc....I need an MG test kit

Tony it took a beating in the change over.....I also realised rather late that it was shaded from the full force of the light as it went very brown....little to no polyp extension and then it had quick tissue recession I have now adjusted the lighting angle and moves a pump ....touch wood, but it has not had any more tissue loss and is coloring up again....but yes if it looses anymore Ill have to cut it up...:(

15. gaboon

gaboon

Looking sweet Archie, once settled, those digi's will grow pretty quick! Have you tested your phosphates?

16. Tony

Tony

If the recession has stopped then the tissue may even grow back. Nick has mentioned a good point with the phosphates which will stop or severely limit any sps growth.

Nick that frag you gave me now has a blue base, green polyps and red rings around the base of the polyp. I have tried desperately to take a picture with a macro lens but the colour doesnt show up. I'll try again with the new lights as they have now shown up the green polyps which I never saw before and increased the colouration. I need to come and see you to give you a frag of the green plating coral I have whos tips I'm hoping will turn purple again with the new lighting

17. archiecrain

Another thing I need a test kit for....I have no idea what they are.....Would I not see Diatom blooms etc if my phosphates where high? I have yet to have a bloom of any sort....

But then again....Ive had coralline die off and no re-growth....that can be a sign of high phosphates? will bacteria dosing help?

18. Tony

Tony

The coralline die off could be from phosphates which impede calcerous growth. Diatoms are from silicates which they use to make their skeletons. The bacteria dosing will help especially coupled with vodka dosing, but you have to use a skimmer to remove excess bacteria. The prodibio will definately help things along

19. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Tank is looking really nice Archie...some nice progress there! :thumbup:

Really like the black substrate, is it Hawaii black aragonite?

20. archiecrain

Would this lead to phosphates being to high?

Im trying to skim dry, but will go wet again to get more shit out of the water.

21. archiecrain

Yeagh it is Hawaii black aragonite, got very large particules.....not like normal argonite....but Im enjoying the effect, just got to make sure I change my flow around to stop build up.

Recent Posts