My Lights setup idea

Reaction score
Hi Friends

If you have read my thread on my new tank you'll know that I'm wanting to put 8x T5 tubes in the hood.

Although my tank is 600mm wide I only have just over 400mm of space to house my lights (due to the Euro bracing and C2C overflow). Some obstacles I have come across...

1. Could I use 2 tubes in 1 reflector as they are about 70mm wide to save space?

2. Thinking of using a piece of Perspex under the lights to form a "enclosure" and a small extractor fan to remove the heat out the side of the hood?

3. I can get "waterproof" T5 end caps for R45 ea, Good price? ( The ones with the screw on piece and seal)

All comment welcome.:whistling:

</IMG></IMG>

The reflectors can easily take 2 tubes each.
I use normal cable connectors (the black plastic ones with brass screws) as end caps/pin connectors. They cost about 4.5 cents each!

1. Could I use 2 tubes in 1 reflector as they are about 70mm wide to save space?
You could, however one light per reflector is optimum (better light)

2. Thinking of using a piece of Perspex under the lights to form a "enclosure" and a small extractor fan to remove the heat out the side of the hood?

I reckon you would lose a lot of light

3. I can get "waterproof" T5 end caps for R45 ea, Good price? ( The ones with the screw on piece and seal)
I use normal cable connectors (the black plastic ones with brass screws) as end caps/pin connectors. They cost about 4.5 cents each!

I would prefer to use the waterproof ones, although a few guys use it as Bayls is suggesting here and it works for the, I have also seen pics of the pins corroding and falling into the tank

Justin,instead of the waterproof ones,why not try Northlands for the wire style t5 fittings,more convenient and will take up less space IMO.

yip i'm with bayls use the normal end caps, you cant gou wrong with that.
good luck

fan for mh

hi there mm, thanks so much for the tank. i am. in the process of seťting up, (no water in yet) plumbed the return pump in, did skimmer , must do tank overflow tonight and put switches on all electrics. wanted to ask if i put a fan by the metal halide must it suck the air out from canopy or blow in for best results,cos i was thinking suck air out?

hi there mm, thanks so much for the tank. i am. in the process of seťting up, (no water in yet) plumbed the return pump in, did skimmer , must do tank overflow tonight and put switches on all electrics. wanted to ask if i put a fan by the metal halide must it suck the air out from canopy or blow in for best results,cos i was thinking suck air out?

Suck out:yeahdude:

Back
Top Bottom