My Leather Coral Is Not Opening -_-

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Storm, 31 May 2010.

1. Storm

Storm

Hello, Ive had my "main" leather coral for about 3 years now, for a little over a month it has not opened up at all, permanently sulking -_-... Ive tried moving it, ive tried water changes but i don't know anymore. I have successfully propagated it at least 5 times and the baby's in the tank are all doing fine and extending normally. So, any suggestions? It doesn't seem to be dead since I can see signs of it shedding its skin, but for more then a month and not moving at all? Suggestions plz...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. amalick

amalick

Don't feel alone, i'm not sure if this helps but mine has been sulking for over a year now. I've tried every possible remedy but eventually gave up. I am able to keep other extremely sensitive corals, but just cant satisfy my once blooming leather.

Mine was also fagged, with off spring doing well

I'm hoping someone will answer your/our query !

4. flipwhip

flipwhip

My leather which iv had for just over a year now has also recently started to sulk for longer periods now. He used to sulk, shed his skin and return to normal within a few days, now its a different story the same process can take a few weeks now.

Personally i dont stress over it, i just let the coral do what it needs to do.

amalick yours sulking for a year now... thats just crazy.

5. PeterL

PeterL

Have you guys maybe considered the idea of it maybe being a new addition like a fish which picks specifically on that one leather, and have you been feeding it specifically?

My leathers are perfect, right until I don't keep my Foxface well stocked with Nori. It for some strange reason gets picked but the other 2 frags are perfect. It seems that my Foxy doesn't eat it per-say, but rather just picks on it to bug it. Once it is all closed up then it is left alone but then it sulks like that for about a day or two. Keep Nori stocks up and there is no problems.

6. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

what other livestock do you have in your setup?

7. maj

maj

i also have a leather that has been sulkin for few days now,not sure why.
    are leathers low or high flow

8. PeterL

PeterL

I am not sure if the flow is much concern for leathers, I have 3 in my system and one is in strong flow, the other in medium and the 3rd in low flow and they are all doing equalty good. However, I must admit that the one in the higher flow appears to being a little better than the other two. If it is just irony in it working out that way and maybe it is just the stronger of the 3, but it is happy where it is in strong flow

9. maj

maj

that exactly why i asked,i have 2 leathers,one in high and other in low flow.
    one in low flow is doin better than the one in high flow:whistling:

so im not sure,just move them around till they happy i guess

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Leathers adapt to both low flow, as well as high flow, Maj.

My leathers also did this, (and also the new leathers do this). It is part of their growth pattern. I will be surprised if the leather stays in a sulking position. It could perhaps extend and then starting "sulking again", after a short while.

I have noticed that after my leathers have "sulked", they are bigger. So - I always just thought that this is the time that they grow, after a period of feeding.....

But, that said - it could of course be any one of the following:
    - an accumulation of some chemicals in the water
    - perhaps other corals' chemicals in the water, bothering the leather - do you people run GAC?
    - possibly the alliminium in some phosphate removers - do you use phosphate removers?
    - possibly fish bothering the corals
    - changes in the environment? ie. lighting getting old? new lighting? adding / removing water pumps/power-heads? new skimmers? Skimmers over-rated/under-rated?

Etc.....

11. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

I have 2, one in low and one in high flow and both very happy and healthy

Recent Posts