My "Last Tank" ever ( yeah right ... )

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Easy Tiger, 10 Nov 2012.

1. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Day Dreamer Deluxe

Well one thing I can't be accused of is rushing this project.

I took delivery of the tank in August and I only began to cycle it today - 3 Months later. I modified the tank quite a lot ( it had been a display tank in a pet shop ) from its original design. So... it's been a few months of fiddling for a couple of hours at night and on weekends, waiting to be able to buy that piece of equipment I've been coveting, measuring and remeasuring etc etc etc.

My thanks to MASA members who allowed me to come round and drool into their tanks for inspiration and advice ( and releive them of some hardware ...:whistling: )

So now all I have to do is watch water circulate for a while, I thought I'd start this thread on my "last tank ever" ( I have to keep saying that - if I believe it then maybe my wife will too ).

I'm going with the NP Bio-Pellett option this time - a little nervous as I have always run DSB on previous tanks, but have seen some VERY succesful tanks running on pelletts, so here goes.

Tank Specs :
    210 l x 65 w x 75 h = total display volume +- 1020 ltrs
    Sumps
    100 l x 50 w x 65 x = +-325 ltrs
    Live Rock "cryptic zone" = 140 ltrs wheelie bin
    So, I am gussing total water volume after displacement is somewhere over 1000 ltrs.

Live Rock - about 80 kgs's of Kenyan ( will increase to around 120kg's or more as finances permit )

Home Made DIY : About 80kg's of concrete moulded "rocks" . I DIY'd these for the main display so I could get the scaping effect I wanted. I'll show how I made them on this thread later.

Skimmer : Reef Octo Bubbleblaster 5000 external skimmer
    Lights : Marine Fauna Starfire 8 x 80w T5's
    Return Pump : Reeflo Barracuda Gold ( rated for 17000l/h - total overkill )
    Internal Flow : 2 x Vortech MP40's
    Heating : 2 x Jaeger 300w , 2 x Via Aqua 300w
    NP Reactor : Reef Octo ( not sure the model, it has 4 ltr reaction chamber )

Still to come : Lots ...

Will try upload some timeline images now...

All comments and advice welcomed !

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Sounds like a nice one, will be tagging, glad it's wet. Don't forget the pics!:whistling:

4. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Thread Starter Day Dreamer Deluxe

OK - I can't figure out correctly on how to upload images ... if anyone can give me a quick Step 1 - Step 3 tutorial I'd be greatful!

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

You'll need to use photobucket and then post the url address in the thread, or when posting (in post quick reply), go to manage attachments and you'll be able to upload up to three pics at a time.

6. Easy Tiger

Some progress pics

DSC03751.jpg

DSC03757.jpg

DSC03865.jpg

7. Easy Tiger

Thanks Carlos!

8. Easy Tiger

Progress showing the removal of the side chambers ( the original filtration system on this tank ), cleaning the tank up, installing slimline overflow on the right with 2 x 50mm outlets, painting the back and one side of the tank blue, and freaking out over ultrablue lighting .

DSC03888.jpg

DSC03892.jpg

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Amazing how the lights just make a tank explode with life. Love it! Will look great with LS.

You're welcome.:thumbup:

10. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Looks awesome!
    That tank makes that light unit look small...lol

great start...

Easy Tiger likes this.
  11. Easy Tiger

Thanks Ridwaan ! They look familiar ? :) More pics to follow tomorrow showing lights in final position, and other progress updates.

12. Easy Tiger

Some more updates on aquascaping. More or less what I had in mind.

DSC04001.jpg

DSC04009.jpg

DSC04014.jpg

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How solid is that stand? Will it not flex or move once full with water, rock and sand?

I would put triangular supports in the corners. Just to make sure. Before you fire it all up.

14. Easy Tiger

Stand seems all OK. Water is in it now, and no problems with levels so far. The tank and stand stood in LFS as a display tank for some time, so I am hoping it has already passed the weight test .

15. Easy Tiger

I want to seed the base rock with purple coraline. I am taking scrapings from the thickest growth on the old tank as a start, but not enough I think.
    If there are any reefers out there who have excessive, healthy coraline growth and who would be willing to spare a few scrapings, please let me know and I will happily come collect this weekend !

Can I bum some purple coraline algae off someone please? :)

16. Easy Tiger

Hi All - My new setup is still cycling . It's getting pretty boring staring at an empty tank ... but... patience.

just a question please. TRANSFERRING LIVESTOCK BETWEEN OLD AND NEW TANKS

What's the best way to transfer all my fish and coral from the old tank? I assume a normal aclimatising process between the two tank. But should I transfer corals first, fish last... fish first corals last. A bit of each slowly over time? Just wondered if anyone out there had any preferences or reasons why?

If have mainly LPS corals, few softies, open brains, anemone, clowns, powder blue, mandarin, few antheas, cleaner and boxer shrimps.

Thanks

17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I would start with the hardy species and softies, then move over to LPS and SPS last (if you have any). Do the same with fish, keeping in mind in the more territorial fish must be put in last and together, I would introduce tangs together, wrasse and even clowns together, but clowns and the hardier fish can go in first. Inverts like shrimps and snails can go in when the softies go in, but keep testing and wait at LEAST 10 days before each introduction, always testing every couple of days after each introduction.

18. Easy Tiger

Thanks ... will stare at blue water for another week then hopefully begin the transfer . Thanks for the advice !

19. Submariner

Submariner

Firstly would like to say good luck with everything looks like you have put a lot of thought into everything, but i have to agree with the quote above.

That stand is gonna buckle at some stage so rather fix it now before you have a flourishing reef.

20. Easy Tiger

Hi All ...

OK so there have been some problems. Dreaded green hair algae!!!!!!!!!

I thought GHA is a symptom of phosphate leaching, so I added a Phos Reactor and am running about 500g of Rowaphos, and halved my lighting cycle. Then I went away on holiday for a week and expected when I came back I would see - AT LEAST - less algae. I got the complete opposite - all rock is covered with long, very healthy looking algae !

I did a 20% water change last night . And am skimming wetter than normal. I have turned flow pumps onto maximum ( 2 x MP40's ) 24/7 to increase flow in the tank.

Using new Red Sea test kits my params are :
    SG : 1.026
    PH : 8.4
    CA : 400
    MG : 1400
    KH : 8
    Temp : 27.5
    Ammonia / Nitrite / Nitrate - all 0

Any ideas on how to rapidly kill this stuff before it swamps my SPS?
    Thanks!

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

they are all zero because the algae is using it.

Best is to get alternative biological filtration that will outcompete the in display algae. Algae scrubber, DSB, NP-Pellets or Orca Cubes, whichever you fancy.

Seeing that you are desperate, try the Orca cubes. they will deliver the results the quickest from other comments around here. 2 weeks compared to a DSB that can take to 3 months to be 100% active.

Recent Posts