Urgent help needed My humble SOS.... gogo's everywhere!!

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Mrabkin, 23 Jul 2010.

1. Mrabkin

Mrabkin

Hey guys,

I've recently returned from a 6-week trip including business, funerals, 3000kms and so on... now i have a stack of issues!!!

Having only had my system running 6 weeks before i left, I decided to borrow 2 baby mullet from the lagoon in order to get things stabilizing whilst i was away. At that point the nitrites/nitrates had stabilized and things were generally ok (that is, for such an immature system).

I spent hours before i left, setting up daily fish-meals into ice-trays and training the domestic to top-up the levels (evaporating around 6l a day... stoopid MH lamps).

I returned home to find (understandably) loads of GHA and pea-soup-like water.... only 1 mullet> the other did a Houdini on me!

Still not my problem...

I did a massive water change, altered my lighting cycle, and cleaned up as much algae as i could, things started to look ok again. I also installed a redsea Prizm skimmer... not the best, i know, but i picked it up at next to nothing.

Problem number1: The skimmer PUMPED out skimmate for the first week or so, but now nothing... i mean NADA! The foam doesn't even build up, bubbles seem to just pop as they break the surface. I have heard of "clean tanks" but to me, this is impossible..

Problem number 2: The skimmer pumps back so many micro-bubbles that i decided to rather turn it off for a few days (also to investigate prob 1 above).. My findings were incredible... The bubbles in my DT did stop, only to bring my attention to the MILLIONS of tiny (and i mean sharp point of a pin tiny) little organisms darting around my tank!

I have seen many pods around the tank, all 1-4mm in size, and i smile and wave at these little guys, i know them very well. These tiny ones, in my mind cant be good. just above my DSB (in the DT) they flock onto the glass by the 1000's. At the same time i notice a red spot on Mr Mullet's belly, and it looks like a scale "missing" from his back.. Are these little things harming Mr Mullet? How do i get rid of them?

Below shows both the density of the organisms in the tank... And the injury to my fish. Please advise!!
    [​IMG]

Water chem as follows:

no3: <10ppm
    no2: <0.2ppm
    kh: 220
    ph: 8.2

Please assist where you can, apologies for the long, drawn-out saga!!

Mike

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Whew, sounds like a mission :whistling:. Have you tried cleaning the skimmer? impeller and everything. The importance of a skimmer can not be understated.

And wht do you mean by 'in order to get things stabilizing whilst i was away'?

Don't know wht the bugs could be, maybe brine shrimp? :p

4. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

That would be great if they were... no more fishfood expenses!!! unfortunately they're about an eighth the size!!

sombody remind me why we do this to ourselves again.....

5. burt

burt

hi there i used to use a prizm skimmer, just check the air flow that it isnt blocked, from the pipe

6. burt

burt

just send a close up of skimmer in action, just want to check some thing

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

mike you shouldent cycle a tank with livestock.. it will put emense strain on the fish not to mention you are adding a more evolved waste sorce that your tank cannot yet handle.. even lighting should be run minimally if at all during the cycle for the above reason.

As for the pods they are pretty normal and this is a huge notch on the evolutionary scale for your system.. they will bloom then settle to a maintainable amount.

as for the GHA limited lighting a phos remover and alot of paitence is what you going to need..

condolences on the funeral side of things looks like you made it back safely from your 3000km journey..

8. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

Burt,
    My cam batteries just decided to die on me!! Anyways, i turned the skimmer back on today after 2 off, and there it is... skimmate!

Must be honest i do not have much faith in this thing... The bubbles in the tank are surely not good for the fish... let alone that my system is >300l and its such a tiny thing..

haha, i just have to stick it out and save it up...

Thx so much for the adv though... it i can i will post pics in the morning.

9. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

All safe and sound... remember you talking about a skimmer.... pls PM me details... payday is a comin!!!!!:yeahdude:

10. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I don't think you can get bad copepods but you can get parasitic isopods that i know of. As for adding the mullet'ers, once the cycle has started, you dont need to keep it going or sustain it as far as im aware, but adding livestock is always temping :p

11. burt

burt

with the prizm skimmer , you can control the bubles its making, there is a nob that you have to turn, same one when you dial it in

12. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

Can anybody describe to me the BAD isopods one gets in a system... I am trying to rule these little critters out!!

13. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

14. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

OK,
    They not sea lice... Sea lice 2-4mm.
    Mine are about 0.1mm....TINY

Thx

15. xtreme

xtreme

and this[​IMG]

16. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I think you should just let the tank run and see what happens, the tank sounds still quite young so you could have blooms of funny critters, blooms go away so just wait it out until its clear you need to take action, in the mean time, work on that skimmer :thumbup:

Recent Posts