My Hermit Crab

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

have been watching the site and checking in from time to time. New to the Marine Aquarium. Although I have been keeping fresh water for years...see you like Pictures...will post some for you. Please help in the interem. Bought 2 red legs hermit crabs about 3 weeks ago. Only have them in the tank with live rock. Have been cycling for 3 months now...taking it really slow! the one shed (thought it died) the other one attacked it and ate 3 of his legs on the one side. I have put the injured one with some live rock (to eat algy) in my sump...to save it from further attacks. Do you think it will survive? Tried to feed him some blood worms..he did eat and seems to be ok. except he cant move around much with no legs!

i know lobsters can grow new limbs if they loose them, i am not sure about crabs. Google it.

Yup no probs. Will have all its limbs back after its next shed ;)

Welcome to MASA inflames, hope you enjoy your stay. Start a thread in the new member forum and introduce yourself - you'll get a warm masa welcome by the members.
The hermit should be ok, just feed him in the sump cause he might struggle to find his own food now. All crustaceans are easy targets after shedding their skin, that's why cleaner shrimp in our tanks hide for a few days after moulting - scared of being chowed :p

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info...he/ she / it is having trouble eating...what is the best food for them? I am trying to move it around some of the live rock to eat the algy and have tried bllod worms...any thing else? How log do you think before its next "shed"?

Back
Top Bottom