My gravity-fed algae scrubber

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by jaybeepee, 24 Nov 2010.

1. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

Well, its been 10 days and I took my screen out for its 1st cleaning. Here's what it looked like. Not bad for 10 days. Have noticed a definite drop in nutrients as well as cyano on my sand bed (both DT and DSB).

So far I'm pretty happy with the performance.

For those interested - I am ONLY running 2 x 20W CFL bulbs (4000K) about 5cm from the screen. When I'm done there will be 5 bulbs running. I just havent had time to finish it yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Nov 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

nice

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

are your scrubber single or double sided?

I am a firm believer of a scrubber. And it surely helps.

The trick with scrubbers is to ensure that you can easily remove the screen to clean it. With least amount of water splashes everywhere. Please give more detail on how you fitted and installed your scrubber.

5. mandarin

mandarin

10/10 Nice doing there, completely covered. I'm also a believer of a scrubber :thumbup:

6. jaybeepee

jaybeepee Thread Starter

Thanks dudes!

I will take some pics this eve of how I put it together for you Riaan. But basically I have a feeder pipe (25mm) that runs inside the outer bigger pipe (40mms). the inside pipe has 7mm holes spaced at about 20mm. The screen itself is cable tied to a thin irrigation pipe that slides into the slit of the 40mm pipe. the only connection to the overflow is through the 20mm spray pipe - via a screw union. So for cleaning all I do is close the tap from the overflow and disconnect the union.

At the moment it is single sided. I still have more flow available so am thinking of adding another screen.

more pics this eve!

7. newb

newb

where da pics buddy.would like to know more about different scrubber set-ups.

8. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

2nd that!!!!! I'd like to check your setup as I've seen many & going to build 1 very soon but I haven't decided on the configuration just yet as there are so many ideas floating around.

Recent Posts