My Grand Kids

Discussion in 'Breeding fish' started by sniper, 15 Apr 2014.

1. sniper

sniper

So I have decided to raise my clownfish fry since we now have the rotifers and phytoplankton locally thanks to Reefaquatics. There is a lot of reading required lucky enough @jclaas took his time to summarise what I needed to do:). So below is my clownfish fry this morning +-9 hours after hatching..

Just a funny story which I feel I should share,on Sunday evening 30 mins after lights went off I shined light on my tank and 100s of small larvae came to the light and I assumed them to be clownfish fry. I then collected them and put them in my larvae tank and put the rotifers to feed them. The next morning i woke up and saw those larvae were swimming backwards and looked like shrimp . What made me confused was that my eggs were still there and the clownfish were still cleaning them.I didn't have a problem with this as I had read somewhere that they might all not hatch at once. So I decided to just research on what clownfish larvae looks like and what I had didn't look like clownsish and after hours of researching and consulting I discovered they were probably mysid shrimps therefore I had to repeat the whole process last night of shining the light and collecting the "actual" clownfish fry "my grand kids".

20140415_063621.jpg

20140415_063657.jpg

20140414_074813.jpg

20140414_074831.jpg

20140415_063732.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Fantastic, best of luck with them, looks like you've got everything sorted. Looking forward to daily photo updates. :D

Just a quick one, have you blacked out the light on your heater? I just stuck some black insulation tape over mine.

4. sniper

sniper Thread Starter

Thanks, no I didn't, I have the light covered by the suction cup holding the heater, that way the light is covered and thus the light is not emitted into the tank (i hope).

5. shaunn

shaunn

well done man

6. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Good luck with your journey hope you manage to grow them out...

7. sniper

sniper Thread Starter

Thanks Shaun

8. sniper

sniper Thread Starter

thanks @MistaOrange, I hope it gets easier to maintain as they grow older

9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

The first few weeks are the hardest...

10. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Awesome work. Another clownfish supplier is underway :D

11. jclaas

jclaas

@sniper you are welcome!

Nice hobby set up.

12. devesh.r

devesh.r

This is really awesome man. All the best.

13. KeeganP

KeeganP

Awesome stuff man.
    Good luck.

14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Update? Have they made it to/past day 3?

15. sniper

sniper Thread Starter

Thank you all for the comments, @viper357 I now have 4 left, I made a lot of mistakes and as a result I lost most of them. So far I have learnt the following:
    1- you must not add too much phytoplankton in the fry tank since it makes it difficult to see the dead larvae which can quickly contaminate your water (I am even questioning if you should add it at all ).
    2. You must do daily water changes.
    3. You have to feed the fry at least twice a day.
    4. You need to adjust your air so that you do not have too many bubbles in your fry tank.

Even though I have lost a lot of larvae, I have also learnt a lot and have realised that reading can give you the principles but you have to do it to understand the theory. As a result of my 1 week experience (lol), I'm confident that next time the survival rate will improve. Below are the photos of the remaining 4 which I took this morning.

20140420_083133.jpg

20140420_083138.jpg

20140420_083342.jpg

16. sniper

sniper Thread Starter

So the remaining 4 died yesterday :( But on the bright side I have time to grow my phytoplankton as I was running low. I think I need at least 30L of Phytoplankton as opposed to the 8 Litres which I initially started off with. So on my next attempt I should have more phytoplankton
    My clowns have also laid eggs and this is their 4th nest and I have been reading that the fist couple of nests are usually unsuccessful, should I wait for them to lay more nests before I start harvesting the eggs, @viper357 , @jclaas , @Andre@ReefAquatics and other reefers whats your take on this?

Lastly I was just thinking that if I was able to attach the fry tank to my main tank so that I wouldn't have a problem of water changes. Is my thought practical if yes please advise on how best you can isolate and grow the larvae in your larvae display tank, I have seen some breeding nets on ebay, would they work for clownfish larvae? If this option works, it would resolve the issue of water quality

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

connecting the tanks and the biggest issue would be to keep the fry from entering the tank connections, or being sucked into the grid protecting it.

I doubt that connecting the tanks would work. Unless you got a very very soft gently flow going through.

18. sniper

sniper Thread Starter

Thanks @RiaanP for your feedback, I was thinking of connecting the fry tank to the sump (where there are no wavemakers) then connecting a small pump with a control valve to feed water into it, see the picture below,, do you think it would work?

Fry tank Idea.png

19. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

We can supply you with liters of phytoplankton. Just shout

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

with lots of holes then the suction could be OK. Just check out for blockage, that could either increase the suction on the remaining holes, or it can flood the fry tank.

another option is to split the fry tank with a vertical divider. An the divider got a big hole in it, big as possible, with very fine net over that. Couple of months ago there was such a fry catch tank out there on on of the RSS feeds. It worked with airline, pulling water up and into the unit. So the flow was very gentle.

21. sniper

sniper Thread Starter

So I'm now on my second attempt and today is day 15 and my clownfish fry are now going through the metamorphosis stage and are starting to look like fish,lol.. I have +-11 left and they are not dying anymore (I hope) Sadly I think I saw one with whitespot last night :( . So maybe connecting your fry tank to the main tank might not be a good idea after all but I will see if they are looking tonight.. I will upload photo's tonight.. On the bright side more eggs are hatching tonight, hopefully I will have a higher survival rate this time.

Last edited: 16 May 2014
Recent Posts