my flame scallop is a hotel

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by NICOLENE, 5 Aug 2009.

1. NICOLENE

NICOLENE

hi there ,

i got a few coral as a present this weekend , among them a flame scalop. at first i put him ontop of some live rock hoping to get a better view of him. the next morning he was missing. found him at the back of all the live rock.

today i took him out and put him right in front for all to see. after keeping my eyes locked on him for a while after i saw the lightning strikes he makes i noticed something funny inside him. a small 1cm white crab.is that normal?

did he eat the crab? is the crab living there? hopefully the crab is not eating him from the inside.

can anybody please tell me some more on them, at the petshop they said that they eat plankton.:eek: are they easy to keep , do they like flow , any special light needs?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

i am told they do not have very good survival rates ... but i have never kept one so hopefully someone with more experience can help you !

a pic of the crab would help

you cant just throw out "i got a few corals" and not post pics !!!!

4. Jaak

Jaak

The Red Flame Scallop builds a small nest of small rocks and pieces of coral in which it embeds itself. In an aquarium, this may not offer much protection. When threatened, it may escape by clapping its valves together, propelling it through the water, with assistance from its tentacles. It tolerates all animals that do not try to eat it, and can be kept in groups. It is a filter feeder, and requires floating micro-plankton to be kept alive in the aquarium, and will do best in a mature reef aquarium system. It also needs proper calcium levels and alkalinity. It does not tolerate nitrates or copper-based medications. The flame scallop is non-photosynthetic and requires supplementation with phytoplankton, and organic foods (Marine Snow or Selcon) provided by using a small pipette/straw to dispense the food upstream of its location. Each Red Flame Scallop needs to be fed individually.

5. Jaak

Jaak

Flame Scallop (Lima scabra) QUICK STATS Care Level: Difficult Temperament: Peaceful Lighting: Low Waterflow: Medium Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025 Max. Size: 3" Color Form: Red, White Diet: Omnivore Origin: Caribbean Family: Limidae

6. crispin

crispin

great info Jaak, well done :)

Nicolene i have heard poor things about flame scallops and indeed many think they should not be purchased at all due to their death rates in tanks.

A refregium and DSB would help them greatly, as is the difficult feeding requirements. But dont try move him out to the front the whole time, they are will move away to feel better protected in and amoungst the LR.

that crab does sound intresting and a pic would be greatly appreciated, especially with a 100mm macro lense on a slowish shutter speed as the lightning strike flashes across its mantle....any chances?

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

wow Jaak .... awesome info

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

NICOLENE i am a little concerned that stock is going into your planned tank you were talking about one week ago. I hope i am wrong in my assumption and that you have another tank. But if not please find an alternative home for the creatures until your system is ready for livestock.

9. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

10. NICOLENE

NICOLENE Thread Starter

i'm very dissapointed to hear this. i realy don't like having creatures that will die because they don't survive in captivity. i realy don't understand why the petshops (sponser on the site) sell / import them if they know they have no chance of survival. aren't we supose to protect them and stop them from becoming extinct. we as new reefers tend to buy with our eyes instead of our brains especially if the petshop is a sponser on the forum. from now on i'll make sure to google and ask on the forum before i buy any live stock.

just as jaak said , he helped himself to the back of the tank again so sorry guys no pics - dont want to disturb him again.

nemos janitor , don't worry i do have a tank that is almost 4 months old now where they are being kept in. this tank does not have the right sump , lighting , overflow and thus the reason for building them a new home. luckilly the tank seemed to have settled since i've started with my planning and in the last month i haven't lost any livestock again. helps knowing about the weekly water changes.

i'll take some pics and post them.

i've got a list of fishes to look at and will add it to my planned tank thread as soon as i know wich ones i like for all of your opinions.

thank for the help so far.

11. Boendoe

Boendoe

Hi Nicolene

I had a flame scallop about a year a go, but it eventually died. We just can not keep them alive. It's a pitty.

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

:thumbup: Thank you for clearing up my concern.

With regards to stock LFS get and sell "MY" comment is as follows. But before i go there this post is by no means directed at you. It is merely my take on the subject and i hasten to point out that there are many different views on the subject.

These are some to consider.

Demand dictates what the collectors will remove from the sea. So if the consumer demands these species you will find them is LFS. After all your LFS is in the game to make money and he should not be the sole fall man. Now before i am shot down one has to consider the whole scenario and my further comments.

If you have read some of the older marine literature you might have noted that authors and aquarists were calling for the banning of certain corals and fish. Among them Sun corals, Dendrohepthia, Acropora, Anemone, Copper band Butterflies Blue Face angles etc. Their point was that these species cannot be kept in captivity as they are specialized. This was the case some 15 to 20 years ago.

Technology, knowledge and aquariust skills in the hobby has advanced at such a tremendious rate over the past 10 years that most of those species that a ban were lobbied for are now kept and farmed with relative ease.

Considering the above if the lobbied species were banned back then and the LFS stopped selling them we would not have or be anywhere near as advanced in the hobby as we are today. That said we all see Sun corals come in by the dozen and displayed in many bright colors. They are the first coral a newbie goes for and 99% of them are doomed. This is simply because the system and feeding regime is beyond the capabilities of the aquariust. On the other hand sun corals can be easily kept and propagated with the right care and knowledge.

From my side i would like to see a permit type system that aquariust have to obtain to allow them to keep certain species. Different levels of experience and longevity in the hobby will dictate what you are allowed to purchase.IMO

13. Jaak

Jaak

You make a very interesting point and i agree with what you have said. Just one thing though, in some cases the LFS orders what he wants an when some of these farms don't have it then they just "fill" the order with anything. I believe that in many cases things like flame scallops, feather stars, etc just get sent to the LFS and then the LFS has no other optio but trying to sell it...

14. NICOLENE

NICOLENE Thread Starter

nemos ,
    you realy make a good point there by saying that if some species were banned we wouldn't have learned so much on them but then i would have to agree with you that a permit system would be a very good idea. i would feel much better as a beginner if i knew that i would only be able to purchase species that i would be able to handle without killing them and as i progress my list will grow to more specialized species.the down side unfortunatly will also be another gap created for corruption and bribery in the system by ceating officials.

jaak ,
    i've spoken to another petshop owner about the situation and he also confirmed what you are saying about the suppliers just packing the wrong livestock and filling up with anything they can.

i'm sorry if i atacked the wrong persons , i just feel very sorry for the harmless creatures that will die at the hands of so many unexperienced reefers like myself. the only solution to the problem is then to ask as many questions as posible before going shopping. i would really appreciate it if you could please go have a look at my list of planned fishes on my thread about my new tank and give me your oppinion and sugestions.

Recent Posts