My Fishy is GONE...!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by belindamotion, 15 May 2012.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I'm at a loss...:(..I have a BOYU TL450...small little 58L jobbie...I have 2 Nemo's...1 Bi-Colour Blenny and 1 Cleaner Shrimp...no snails...yesterday at about 11am was the last time I saw my Blenny..she's very nosey and comes out to watch what I'm doing...at about 2pm I realized that I have not seen her since...needless to say I'm very upset...Craig came home and basically took the Tank apart...she's not in any "rock works"...no holes either as I've got slightly flat LR...only 1 piece is oval in shape and that one has her "hole"...she's not there...
    Hubby went thru the 4 back Chambers with a spotlight and still he couldn't see her...even took the Skimmer out to see if she slipped underneath by accident...nothing...we also took the Canister Filter apart and emptied the Trays and again....no trace of her...!!! Needless to say, I was in tears by then...:crying: She also didn't go "Carpet Surfing" as I've got a "Hooded Tank"...trust me, I looked even though I knew it was impossible as Hood and Flap is closed...:crying:

I'm left with the only conclusion.. and that is.. that something ate her ...:confused1:...I have to the best of my knowledge nothing that can eat her..I do have a Brittle Starfish, but I don't think it's one of those "larger ones that can go for small fishes"...I've only ever seen it in the one rock...I actually think it grew inside the rock and can't come out..only the legs come out...If it was one of those "larger" one's, then my Nemo would've been gone along time ago...as this is where she sleeps..Pic1
    [​IMG]

and the whole where the Tentacle comes out is about 2cm away from her...the Tentacles are sometimes about 5cm long, so she would've been gone a long time ago as the Nemo is basically in that spot 24hrs a day...!!! Brittle Starfish's "hole"...Pic2
    [​IMG]

My Blenny doesn't do the bottom of the Tank..she's always sitting on top... so in all honesty that leaves the Starfish in the clear...what happened to my baby...? I seriously doubt that my Cleaner Shrimp "cleaned" my Tank as I saw him the whole day on the back panel...he loves going thru my GHA for food...is there any other spot that the Blenny could have gotten "caught" in, that I'm unaware off...? Where else can I look...?
    :crying:..:crying:..:crying:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

So sorry Belinda, recently also had 2 clowns dissapear, i have a suspect also. But it just does not feel good at all :angelsad2:

4. crispin

crispin

sorry to hear of the loss, it doesnt sound like you have anything in there that will catch and kill it though.

Are you certain its dead, and not hiding, dont count the fella out just yet there are times when fish can hide very well.

but if you realy do think its dead then the body often gets sucked against the inflow of pumps....either internal tank pumps or skimmer pumps so have a look there.

that tentacle thing looks alot like a bristle worm to me and not something to worry about if it is a bristle worm. Try have a look with a torch at night, scavangers can also give away the location of a dead fish at night.

I truley do hope its not dead and is just hiding though.

5. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

If you did not see it for few days then yes it could be eaten but if u saw it recently then u would see the remains if it died..its probably hiding somewhere or stuck somewhere,with their coloration its probably difficult to see in thise dark spots...do u have a pump in the tank for flow?I noticed that sometimes when the power is off my small fish sometimes go into it (sun sun pump)..sorry but hope u find it,its really an awesome fish to watch,love mine..hopefully yours will pitch up soon

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

I also thought that is what I had...
    I.D Please... - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    until I saw 2 Tentacles coming out of that LR...:blush:...somehow it gave me the impression that it was one critter...
    I went thru everything with a spotlight/flashlight...took heater out..skimmer out..etc...I'm at a loss...:(..with such a bright tail I still couldn't spot him anywhere...:crying:

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

Sorry to hear.! All flags to halfmast!

8. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

sorry Belinda

I lost one of my blue chromis within 2 days...the other 4 are doing fine...not a trace - am sure the cuc saw to that...

Hope he is in hiding and will come out soon...good luck!

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I agree with Crispin, that is definitely a bristle worm

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Bristle worms are part of your clean up crew. If it did die, they will quickly help to remove the body.
    Your skimmer might be the one telling you what happened. If the skimmer over reacted for a day, then its dead.... Sorry

11. Mc

Mc

Sorry about your loss Belinda.:(
    No sign of a crab or something like that?
    Have you added any coral or live rock to the tank recently?

12. Achilles

Achilles

sorry for your loss always sad to lose a fish, there is often creatures that you cant see that would make short work of any body

13. Helga

Helga

So Sorry to hear Belinda!
    When I had my TL550 Boyu I lost my little Clown for 2 days. I was panick stricken! I stripped the whole tank and the back compartments twice. Then on the 3rd day I went through the compartments again..... I took the lid off and stood on a stepladder to check right from above... and there he was, in the last compartment (where the heater and pump is), right at the bottom..... alive and kickin.... what a battle to get him out! Little bugger :nono:

Dont give up.... We know they cannot jump from a Boyu and if you only missed him for a half a day to 1 day... I doubt whether he could have been eaten already... He is there.... check again (you know how men search for things...lol)
    ;)

14. zayd

zayd

Terrible news. Sorry to hear.

15. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

That sucks :( is it possible that there is a crab hiding in the rock work somewhere? The hairy crabs can take out fish overnight! I've had it happen to a few fish before I caught the bugger!

16. belindamotion

Been telling myself that same speech the whole day...when Hubby comes tonight I'll insist on checking EVERYTHING again...:p..can't do it by myself, everytime I want to start looking..I get all heart broken and all "lumpy throat" and start crying...:crying:..guess I need Hubby for moral support...:blush: I really hope he is alive and kicking as lately I've been at that "cross-road" section in my life...to many negative stuff has been happening and seriously, this would just be the nail in the coffin for me as I never want to go thru what I'm going thru now...:(

17. belindamotion

No crabs...no new LR and no new Corals...nothing for about 10 months...no snails...basically no CUC except my Cleaner Shrimp and a Brittle Starfish/Bristle Worm...saw him 11am yesterday and realized at about 2pm that I haven't seen him in 4hrs...needless to say, been checking since then and last night we took everything apart and I'm just stunned as to where he can be...:(..will do the whole thing over again tonight...

18. Mc

Mc

Good luck I hope you find him.

19. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Are there absolutely no gaps in the hood? I've had a fish jump out of a 2cm gap 40cm above the surface of the water. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it happen.

20. belindamotion

No.. all was sealed...I did still check to see if it could've jump somehow, but no trace anywhere...Tank is in the Entrance Hall and that whole Section is clean...no fish anywhere....I must admitt that it would be the 1st time if she jumped as I've had the entire Hood open, everyday, during the Durban hot days and never has any of my fish leaned towards that direction...but no...I did look for "carpet surfing" but found no trace...

21. Helga

Helga

Really hope you get him tonight... Please let us know as soon as you have an answer!

Last edited: 15 May 2012
Recent Posts