My first time dosing

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by VicZA, 18 Oct 2014.

1. VicZA

VicZA

So I have bought my first "set" of DIY chemicals to begin dosing Ca, Mg and Alk and of course, I have a dosing unit (Jebao)

What I am still not sure of is the following:

1 - What ratio of chemical to you mix with RO water (I assume you use RO water) i.e. what concentrations do you need to aim for ?
    2 - How much should you dose in "one instance" - example if you need to do a daily dose of 30ml of a certain additive, do you set the doser to 1 x 30ml per day or do you do 6 x 5ml or what ?
    3 - Since the stuff will not be stirred, is there a chance that the chemical will start to settle as sediment or does it dissolve completely ?

Any links or guidelines to the "practical" and "how to" side of dosing would be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

4. BennieV

BennieV

Download a periodic table, get the molar mass of all ingredients. Get current water parameters. Work out what you need per liter.... Bla bla bla

5. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

Thanks ... I had a look at this and while it makes sense I still do not know how many ml of solution do I have to dose in order to raise Ca, Mg and Alk by a specific number. The "reef chemistry calculator" explains that you mix X amount of chemical with RO water and dose ....

- does it not matter how much RO water you mix it with ?
    - if I do not want to measure out my required chemicals every day, how do I set up the automatic doser to work for say 1 week ?

Let's use an actual example.

Say for Calcium:
    - Current Ca = 420ppm and I have a daily consumption of 10ppm
    - to maintain 420ppm (and add 10ppm daily), I need to dissolve 11g of Calcium Chloride Flakes
    Hence :
    - how much Calcium Chloride Flakes do I add to 1 liter of RO water ?
    - how much ml must I dose in 1 day and not have to replenish the 1 litre solution ?

Sorry, I am no scientist so need this explained very literally :m12:

6. wouterloosman

wouterloosman

It doesn't really matter. If you have to add 11g of Calccium flakes to maintain 420ppm. it's simple.

If you dissolve 11gr of calcium flakes in 1 liter of RO water. You have to dose 1 liter a day to maintain 420ppm
    If you dissolve 110gr of calcium flakes in 1 liter of RO water. You have to dose 100ml a day to maintain 420ppm.
    If you dissolve 220gr of calcium flakes in 1 liter of RO water. You have to dose 50ml a day to maintain 420ppm.

What happens in the end is: You start dosing. you measure CA, then after a week you measure again. If it went up you dose less, if it went down you dose more. Till you found the number of dosing to keep it stable.

I normally make batches of 10 liter. So i don't have to mix new every week and I know my fluid is the same for the next 6 months.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2014
  7. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

Makes a lot of sense ... thanks so much !!

Recent Posts