My first time dosing

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by VicZA, 18 Oct 2014.

1. VicZA

VicZA

So I have bought my first "set" of DIY chemicals to begin dosing Ca, Mg and Alk and of course, I have a dosing unit (Jebao)

What I am still not sure of is the following:

1 - What ratio of chemical to you mix with RO water (I assume you use RO water) i.e. what concentrations do you need to aim for ?
    2 - How much should you dose in "one instance" - example if you need to do a daily dose of 30ml of a certain additive, do you set the doser to 1 x 30ml per day or do you do 6 x 5ml or what ?
    3 - Since the stuff will not be stirred, is there a chance that the chemical will start to settle as sediment or does it dissolve completely ?

Any links or guidelines to the "practical" and "how to" side of dosing would be appreciated.

2. Guest

3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

4. BennieV

BennieV

Download a periodic table, get the molar mass of all ingredients. Get current water parameters. Work out what you need per liter.... Bla bla bla

5. OP
    VicZA

VicZA

Thanks ... I had a look at this and while it makes sense I still do not know how many ml of solution do I have to dose in order to raise Ca, Mg and Alk by a specific number. The "reef chemistry calculator" explains that you mix X amount of chemical with RO water and dose ....

- does it not matter how much RO water you mix it with ?
    - if I do not want to measure out my required chemicals every day, how do I set up the automatic doser to work for say 1 week ?

Let's use an actual example.

Say for Calcium:
    - Current Ca = 420ppm and I have a daily consumption of 10ppm
    - to maintain 420ppm (and add 10ppm daily), I need to dissolve 11g of Calcium Chloride Flakes
    Hence :
    - how much Calcium Chloride Flakes do I add to 1 liter of RO water ?
    - how much ml must I dose in 1 day and not have to replenish the 1 litre solution ?

Sorry, I am no scientist so need this explained very literally :m12:

6. wouterloosman

wouterloosman

It doesn't really matter. If you have to add 11g of Calccium flakes to maintain 420ppm. it's simple.

If you dissolve 11gr of calcium flakes in 1 liter of RO water. You have to dose 1 liter a day to maintain 420ppm
    If you dissolve 110gr of calcium flakes in 1 liter of RO water. You have to dose 100ml a day to maintain 420ppm.
    If you dissolve 220gr of calcium flakes in 1 liter of RO water. You have to dose 50ml a day to maintain 420ppm.

What happens in the end is: You start dosing. you measure CA, then after a week you measure again. If it went up you dose less, if it went down you dose more. Till you found the number of dosing to keep it stable.

I normally make batches of 10 liter. So i don't have to mix new every week and I know my fluid is the same for the next 6 months.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2014
  7. OP
    VicZA

VicZA

Makes a lot of sense ... thanks so much !!

Recent Posts