my first tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by hurst, 10 Sep 2009.

1. hurst

hurst

Hi everyone, I am new to marine, and I am going to set up a tank within a month or so, still doing the research needed. If anyone has suggestions, feel free!

I am thinking of going small at first, don't want to spend my life savings (which is not very much...I am 17 ;))on a complete flop. I've kept tropical ever since I had my 6th birthday.

I had this in mind:
    display 326 L (w600 x h450 x l900)
    cabinet from cherry wood
    2 metal halide lights (suggestions?)
    2 T5 (suggestions?)
    sump 60 L (too small?)
    don't really know what else I need, I'll get the quote in 2 hrs then I'll know!
    going for DSB

I intend keeping: (suggestions and advice?)

3 regal tangs
    1 copper band butterfly
    3 clowns
    2 Damsels (blue)

live rock from Fiji
    and some soft corals.

If you have advice, I already appreciate it!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

[​IMG]

4. Tony

Tony

Hello and welcome. Three regals will get too big for your tank very fast. For your lighting you could go for two 150W 10000K halides with T5 actinics to balance the colours

5. Renannchen

Renannchen

Welcome, Three regals? Why? Blue damsels get very agro, try and get a bigger sump with alot of space, for skimmer etc. Go with 14000k mh, its the better colour the 10000k is a bit white! Get as big a system as you can aford and get the best skimmer that you can buy, go for something like a Ts 3 or 4, and remember this hobby wil bite, and then you wil be hooked, no use in trying to go with a buget, its going to cost you more then what you expect! Good luck and welcome, this is the best hobby in the world and you are at the right place!

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Hurst, glad you joined before starting the tank as we just might have saved you from buying something you don't need :p

I agree with Tony, your tank is too small for tangs - any tang. It is usually adviced to keep a tang in no smaller than a 4ft tank, yours is 3 ft.
    Copperbands are quite difficult to keep happy and thriving, that is an expert fish ;)
    3 clowns in such a small tank is looking for trouble, 2 yes - 3 no :nono:
    Blue damsels.... ahhh the fishies from hell :lol: - also, they are very territorial and will kill one another in such a small tank. Try one ;)

Please read the link in my signature for some great info on how to start your first marine tank.

Keep us updated :wave2:

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

O ja, read on the cycle of a marine tank in the link, don't add any livestock before the tank hasn't run with good quality live rock for at least 6 -8 weeks ;)

8. FransSny

FransSny

Warm welcome hurst,

See you got some awesome advice already...I would just like tore itterate that your LS selection needs abit more thought

Take it slow, aske and read...patience is the name of the game

9. hurst

hurst Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice! I am very happy to have joined before buying anything.
    So you suggest a bigger sump? 50 % of the tank size?
    I can go bigger, I got a price on a 480 liter today, with I think the guy said 40 kg Fiji, DSB etc, all I need apart from livestock--R12 000-R14 000, is this within the price range for something like this?
    I really appreciate all the help, oh, and I read the article, studied it like my bible. Very helpful!
    If damsels are aggro, what do you suggest for my tank if I do buy the 3 foot thingy?
    what is a good size for a starter tank? is deeper better?

Any suggestions on Corals? Substrate? the guy at the LFS couldn't tell me exactly what to put in my display.

10. FransSny

FransSny

Hurst, is the price is dependent on what he actually gives you.

Deeper isnt better, larger water volume is, deeper requires more intense lighting to reach the bottom

Substrate finer is better, for proce reggies playsand works well, just needs to be washed very well. If you want to go playsand pm me, ive got +\- 40 kg's left over from my old DT that you can have for free. Just need to be collected and washed out again

11. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to MASA...

12. hurst

hurst Thread Starter

Thanks Frans, its really kind of you. Is playsand okay for corals? Prob a stupid q, but I really don't know much yet.

13. FransSny

FransSny

No Prob hurst. Yes it's 100 % fine / safe lots of guys use it. Over some time you will have lots of benefitial critters living in the sand assisting with your filtration.

14. hurst

hurst Thread Starter

That is great, thanks, will pm you when I get my new tank.

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello Hurst
    blue yellow tail damsels needs 30*30cm area each. And they tend to stay at the lower part of the tank. I had 2 in a normal 90L system, no problem. Actually they spawned one morning. 3 will be a problem. And they stay small and are OK for a Nano setup. In the area they need and their adult size.

Sump, actually the DSB must be as big as possible. The footprint. The depth of DSB should be 15cm. Read the stickies on the DSB forum.

Please reconsider your other life stock choices. Seeing that you want clowns, please do not add an anemone for the next 8 months. It will just die.

As Frans said. depends what is included. But it does sound like a ok price. That is if there is at least 6 T5 globes, and decent skimmer rated for about 1000L.

Recent Posts