my first tank quote?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by DMC8125, 31 Oct 2011.

1. DMC8125

DMC8125

Hi

This is what my local shop has said to be a decent setup what do you think?

Tank 1.8x600x650
    skimmer; skimz sk181
    chiller; hailea 500
    circulation pumps; sunsun vibration jup102
    heating; jager 300w
    lighting; t5 34w

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Get the biggest best skimmer you can afford.
    How many 39w t5`s did they say you will need ? (what are you going to be keeping in the tank ?)
    What about the sump ? Going to include a dsb ? If yes then the sump needs to be as big as possible.

4. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Welcome to MASA.
    You did the right thing coming here before you purchased.

The above could be what you looking for all depending how far you want to go.
    What we need to do is find out what sort of tank you want and what you want to keep.

The Chiller seems a little small for the volume of water the skimmer is boarder line and would recommend bigger or better. You would be better off with 5ft lights as you will save big time on fitting and half the number of globes. Sun sun pumps okay I guess but all depends on the inhabitants but there are better. Please check through forums and sponsors and check with them as well.

Have fun.:thumbup:

Last edited: 31 Oct 2011
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

sure its not 54w?
    And how many tubes?

Your display is already 650L, and this skimmer is rated for 750L. I would go larger on the skimmer, up to 1000L. But this again depends on your bio load.

5000L/h, how many pumps? These pumps are awesome for their price. But that is where it ends. Their quality is not as good compared to others. But to start off with, yes, they are good.

I know its needed, but it really depends on your lights. You are going T5. where in SA is Sunward Park. Where in the house will the tank stand.

Heater is very good.

Is this your first marine tank ever?

Also does the quote include sump and stand, cabinet and canopy?
    Also what else filtration wise is included or what filtration system suggested?

toppdogg likes this.
  6. Tremayn

Tremayn

What is the quote more importantly? Anyone can list stuff but whats it gonna set you back?

7. DMC8125

DMC8125 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies . its kind of hard for me to read what the salesman wrote down so if it does not make sense its not me.
    Hopefully i will answer your questions.

the t5 lighting as written ak4t5ao34w R2553.99

sunsun pumps x6 R1320.00

tank includes stand, cabinet, canopy R9193.75

sumplig R695.00

return pump hailea 6540 R675.30

filter media; assorted R650.00

crushed coral 60kg R1065.00

mixed salts R1875.00

maturing agent; "combisun " spelling R288.80

20 kg kenyan 20 kg bio rock R3400.00

fittings etc R500.00

in total with the first post comes in at R 33919.94

This is my first marine tank as i have had tropical for the last 15 years.
    I want something that i wont look back on and say i should of bought that i want the best for my fish with in reason . I would like a reef setup . Sunward Park is in Boksburg the tank will be in a lounge between a atrium that gets quite hot and a veranda and it does get quite hot but when i am doing the setup i can monitor the temp as we are in summer for 6-8 weeks before i put any fish in. Hope this helps

Last edited: 31 Oct 2011
  8. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Let me say just this that the system is lacking in a lot of area's realisticly you can achieve a reasonable system with the above but would certainly make a few changes depending on your requirements.
    Most items baring a few are cheap imports but will suffice but would honestly spend my money right the fist time and not mess around upgrading in the near future when you find the above is lacking in most area's.
    The 40kg rock is a joke and would most likely need double or more.

9. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

My opinion, drop the sunsun pumps and rather get 2 TUNZE pumps or 2 VorTech MP 40.
    It will cost allot more, but in the long run will pay off. These brands of pumps create amazing flow, you will need ALLOT of sunsun pumps to match the above mentioned pumps!

The minute you go cheap on flow, you start having issues. You are getting a big tank, so rather spend money on flow now!

Also get a skimmer rated for 2x the total volume of your tank!

This is one of the most rewarding hobbies I have ever experienced!
    Worth every cent!

10. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

what is your budget ??

Say no to the crushed coral, i dont know why stores sell this as substrate all the time, it is something your are going to buy and throw away later...

You can get awesome deals in the for sale section on this forum, consider yourself lucky that you found this website before the your money left your wallet, usually you have to pay school fees when you start with this hobby like 90% of the people did on this site. Best is to know exactly what you want, order it at an lfs and skip the whole part where they design your tank for you with useless junk....

So tell us what you can spend and i am sure everyone will help you spend the money in the best way possible.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

why, its just a detritus trap.

sounds like bio-balls and ceramic rings

You are in Boks burg side, check the forum for sponsors that side (Nemo Janitor comes to mind). Take a drive this weekend to others Midrand - Pet Stop, Edenvale - Wild on Pets,

If you want to spend that money, spending one weekend window shopping is not a bad idea.

12. DMC8125

DMC8125 Thread Starter

ok thanks guys . You all know my tank size i want what equipment would you put in it?
    I will go past wild on pets today and see what they say.

13. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

you will get great advice from wild on pets

that quote they sent looks like a pile....

14. Irma

Irma

You can also phone Dorry Pets in Centurion. I have found there prices to be among the best and there tanks are fantastic. My first tank was similar in size to what you want to get and cost me around R24K from Dorry. Prices will be a little different depending on which circulation pumps you go for and also your tank is a little longer. Check my profile page to see what the tank looked like. I do not think that they are open this weekend because they are at the Durban conference so phone them today or tomorrow. You will not be sorry :)

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

ok so to sumarise you are looking for equipment for a 700lt excl sump +- a further 200lt, so you would preferably need

Skimmer rated to 2000lt (the sk181 is only rated to 780lt)
    Retrurn pump of approx 3500lt
    Heater 300w
    ATU (very valuable for keeping salanity in check)
    Phos filter
    aragonite or sand substrate for DT (and more if you go DSB)
    internal flow pumps (i personally would go with sun sun in the short term untill you learn what you want out of a pump and can see what there is on offer and compare)
    tank
    stand
    lights (either 5ft 80w T5 (fairly scarce in certain areas) or staggered 39 or 54w tubes). hailide is an option but from an energy effieciency and heat perspective not really viable for most.
    Chiller (dependant on average temperatures you experience daily and also can be influenced by lighting choice.

what have i left off?

Last edited: 1 Nov 2011
  16. Tremayn

Tremayn

Before you do anything. Read the beginners sections, check out guys tanks and see what they stock, what filtration they use, maintenance etc then you will have an idea of what you want to stock and the filtration requirements. Then come up with a list of stuff you want then let us have a look at it. Dont rush into buying anything :) .. PS check the for sale section as you can get a nice big tank for like 2k

17. Tridan

Tridan

Add to that

RO unit, or purchase of ro water
    Salt
    Extra pump and heater for mixing
    And something to mix in

18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

OK so you have decided that you want a marine fish tank and you like the 1800mm(l) x 600mm(w) x 650mm(h) size. This size tank has some good and bad points depending on what you want to keep. If you want to keep mainly soft corals and fish or mainly fish then you will not really have too much of a decision when it comes to lighting. However if you want to keep mainly LPS and SPS corals this depth of tank will have a big influence on your lighting choice which will also influence your cabinet design. Some times it is better to have a shallower tank that is a little wider if space permits.
    So take your time and decide exactly what type of live stock you intend to keep. Then make the decision on tank design. This will include type of overflow(corner or center or slimline or coast to coast). Cabinet base height. Closed or open top canopy. Rimless tank or wooden canopy. Their is really so much to consider before you get to the rest of the equipment selection. You also need to consider the placement of the tank. Is it going to be close to a window? Is there a room behind the tank that the filtration can be housed in or perhaps shed could be built up against an outside wall. If the filtration has to go under the tank then the height the tank is off the ground plays a big part in the size and type of the equipment that will fit.

Above all, every decision you make in the initial tank design will influence the equipment required to run it successfully first go without having to continually change a piece of equipment because it was under specked.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2011
  19. Helga

Helga

DMC8125,
    Please consider the advice given to you by the above reefers! You will save soooo much money in the long run. I am about sure which LFS gave you that quote. I bought my first marine tank from them. And although it was a very good learning curve (and unneccesary money), and not a bad tank for a beginner, it took me 6 months to realize that I did not get the best advice. I guarentee you the R33 000 is only the beginning. You are going to have to upgrade about every single item on your list. Starting with your lights. And the SunSun's. My tank was just about out of cycle when I had to add another set of lights and change the Sunsuns for 2X 40MP Vortech. Your sump size is going to frustrate you to death and the skimmer will barely keep up!
    Get more quotes.... dont buy in haste. I really wish I spoke to the guys on MASA before I went out and bought the tank in haste. There are many spesialised LFS in Gauteng. They can give you expert advice.
    Good luck with your search. Dont be dismayed... you are way better off than what I was. At least you have the MASA clan giving you good advice ;)

20. DMC8125

DMC8125 Thread Starter

thanks everyone for your advice . As hard as it is to go out and buy it straight away i rather do my school fees first before i make any mistakes or receive misguided information. iIwish all of you could come with me to the petshops .

Today i went to wild about pets in edenvale they really have a nice and clean setup there got some good advice and will receive my second quote from them . I cant believe the price of a vortex pump!!!

But ill keep everyone update as i go along

21. Christo

Christo

Those Vortech pumps has quite a price tag! What was your qoute for the Vortech's as i'm also looking in to buy a PAIR:eek:

Recent Posts