my first sw setup

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by mupwi, 30 Nov 2010.

1. mupwi

mupwi

hi all.

well I finaly did it. I have been wanting a sw tank for years and was always told how dificult they were to keep but recently found some friends with sw setups and did some more reading and realised that they wernt to bad.

I already own a 3ft tank that used to be fw and another friend ofered me a 1000l tank that he has in storage after he sold his house to go sailing.

so while im waiting for a cance to be able to pick up the 1000l I did some more reading and got a bit concirned about the posable temperature swings in my tank so I set up the 3ft in my bay window where I thaught the efect would be the worst (not the planed final position for the tank) and monitored the temp for a week it seemed stable between 24 and 28degC I also started monetoring the salinity and water temp of the local rock pools where I plan to catch my inabitants the results were water temp around 27degC and salinity of 1.029.

I was going to wait untill the big tank arived to actualy put in sw but I had a braai coming up and wasent going to have time to colect the muscles I wanted to derve on the day so I thaught what beter way to keep them fresh for 3 day than a sw tank .

so I drain the fresh water I had in the tank and headed to the beach with my buckets 4 trips later and I have +- 20kg of sand in the botom presumably live in some respect as it was colected below the waterline at lowtide 19 muscles 4 hermits and one snail all hapely inhabiting the tank.

at the moment water circulation is being achived by a 1400l/h bilge pump and I have a 3000l/h powerhead ariving this week. I have been monitoring the ph salinity no2 and no3 ca and kh and all seem to be within spec and the inhabitants seem happy.

no plans for fish or anything more with the current setup and some of the muscles will probably end up in the pot this week ( we didnt end up having them at the braai as we had plenty of fish that I speared the day before ).

good nes is that there is no sighn of alge in the tank I exept that which was growing on the muscle shels when I put them in I prosume this is because the at alge is using up all the nutrient that the nucance alge wold use to grow.

Anyway that is my story of how I ended up with a bit of ocean in my lounge.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quintonv

Quintonv

Welcome Bud. Sounds like you having some fun :1:

Why dont you post some pics!!!

4. brandonb

brandonb

Welcome ...

yeah pics would be awesome

5. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

unfortunately my camera died still waiting for the insurance to replace it will try borrow one during the week

6. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

I didn't got to welcome u u here on masa so
    WELCOME TO MASA;)

Are u planning to go on a reef tank, wat about the other equipments like skimmers, light unit....?

keep us posted bro.......

7. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

:welcome7:

8. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

I am planing to go reef but not untill the big tank arives it is coming with a skimmer and lights. for now there is just the pumps and thermometer in the tank witht the muscles and hermits a few old shells and sand. I borowed a camera from my mom yesterday and will hopfuly get around to taking some pics tonight.

9. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

I have noticed somthing strange in my tank maby not but hey in a newbe when I filed the tank with nsw the salinity read 1.030 now after fome evaporation about 5% the salinity is siting at 1.029 shouldent this be going the other way or is it that maby my muscles ect are absorbing minerals from the water and reducing the salinity? I am hesitant to topup as I dont whant to reduce the salinity further.

10. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Recheck your salinity readings, they cannot go down with evaporation.
    You should also be running around 1.025-1.026.

11. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

I know it seems counter intuitive I have be checking the reading every day so not sure what the problem is maby my meter is broken will take some water and test with my friends hydrometer. when I tested the sea water when I colected the current inhabitants it was 1.030 so I thaught I should just keep it at what they were used to from where they came out

12. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

sounding good dude but id be careful with 2nd hand tanks, most silicones are gauranteed for 10 years, after that a tank burst is very likely

13. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

some observations and updates

1 muscles move alot more than I thaught and they dont seem to like the sand I had them spread evenly over the sand on the botom of the tank I come back from work and they are all trying to croug onto one big oister shell I put in the tank for decor.

2 I seem to have had some hitchhikers in eather the muscles or the sand coz I see one slug type thing and have seen at least 2 difrnt worms.

updates

yesterday I picked up a powerhead with foam filter thing from my mate perfect timing as when I got home I saw that the power supply I was runing the bilge pump on had packed up.

and today I picked up 10kg's of LR from marko awsome stuff this also seems to ave come with some hitchhikers as I noticed a small shrimp +-1cm long runing around the botom of the tank.

I also picked up some led's today to light the tank at night they are easely twice as bright as the 100w incandecent I have over the tank in the meantime and the bonus is they only draw 2.4w total and produce almost no heat.

anyway thats all for today going to try take some pics tomorow morning

14. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

[​IMG]finaly got a pic of the muscle hichhiker[​IMG]

16. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

he seems to hide during the day but is quite active around dusk and into the evening often parking on the muscle shell extended up into the water colym or surfing on the hermits shels as they go about triming the alge

17. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Geez, now that's a nice view. :thumbup:

Be careful of that hitchhiker, it is a nudibranch and if they get sucked into a pump they can poison the entire tank.

18. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

cool thanks for the heads up

19. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

well 3 weeks in the meat I put in has roted away compleatly and the highest amonia reading I got was .25ppm and nitrates and nitrites just showed on the test kit but barly is my tank cycling has it already cycled the only thing I can think of is to actualy does with actual amonia so I can see it disapear asim not able to confirm how much the roting flesh aded to the tank and therfore how muchwas converted by the bacteria

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Just a question, what was the sea temperature?

21. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

27deg it has stabalised and comparing my hydrometer to my friends one it seems mine is not verry well calibrated it seems my ones 1.030 is actualy 1.026 on his

I think I see where you are going with it that it mite be deviation due to temperature quite posabilill start taking note of temperatures when I do salinity readings I think I do have a temperature compinsation table someware from other non rmarine experimentation

Recent Posts