My first saltwater aquarium

Discussion in 'New Members' started by EnvironmentalBro, 27 Apr 2012.

1. EnvironmentalBro

EnvironmentalBro

Hi all,

I have been a avid aquarist for a couple years and I have finally decided to move into Saltwater tanks. I am a 3rd year Bsc Zoology and Botany student so keeping fish is more than just a hobby for me. I have done research into Saltwater tanks for over a year and have finally decided to take the leap. I already have a 600l tank which I built but I dont have any equipment yet. I have a video of the tank that is currently setup for Malawi cichlids if anyone is interested in seeing it here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3zgRRXs-YUA

Hopefully by joining this site I will have access to all the help I need to ensure I do it right the first time :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Meneer

Meneer

Welcome to MASA :thumbup:

4. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hey ,:welcometomasa2: to MASA

Good luck
    David

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...:1:

6. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Welcome to MASA!!! Glad to have you on board! Have fun with your new salt tank!

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi and welcome!
    What you have in mind for filtration

8. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa its great to have you join:)

if ypou tell us what type of tank you would like to end with (Fish only, mixed reef, lps dominated, sps dominated etc) we will be better equiped to give you specific advice to help you along:) marines are a great adventure and planning in the set up stage goes a long way to making it a pleasant journey:)

9. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Welcome

10. EnvironmentalBro

EnvironmentalBro Thread Starter

Plans

Thanks everyone!

I would obviously love to setup a reef tank but I do not have that kind of cash... yet :blush: I am sort of undecided as too what I want yet, my tank is 80cm high which means my lighting will need to be very good if I want corals, and good lighting is $$$! So I think I will have to settle for a FO until I can afford the costs of a reef tank :thumbup:

I have already decided on a sump with a refugium for filtration. I am going to spend quite a bit on my filtration because its worth it in the long run (easier to maintain).

Any tips and advice would be fantastic!

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

A simple dsb, ATS, and DIY LEDs you can have corals :)

12. EnvironmentalBro

@dallasg Would you please elaborate? Why can I keep corals with those 3 things??? Deep sand bed is what I was planning on. ATS I have never heard of, Algae Turf Scrubber, why do I need this? Any links to a DIY LED site?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. crispin

crispin

after studying marimnes for over a year you should have come accross ATS and dsb before else you are looking in the wrong place.

with a tank that is 80cm deep there are lots of things you can do with simple t5 lights on individual reflectors to be able to keep a wide variety of corals, so dont be put off that corals are difficult to keep due to their lighting requirements and light penertration through water. A simple thing you could do is lift the reef (rocks placed onto of each other) so the water depth isnt too great and keep corals that do well under less intence lighting (many soft corals and some lps). LED have come forward a long way in the past 5 years and are worth looking at, although personally i wouldnt spend too much on lighting, id rather save the cash and create an intergrated filtration system.

a good overated skimmer, perhaps a reactor or two (carbon, phosphate and perhaps a NP reactor), a RO unit, good live rock and a back up power system is where i would spend money before getting a great light system.

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome dude... Where are you studying?

15. EnvironmentalBro

Just because I came across it doesn't mean I fully understand it! There are so many aspects to marine keeping that I have a feeling it will take many years to fully grasp all the concepts.

As to your advice about lifting the reef, I think that is a great idea which I will definitely use. So you would recommend sticking to T5 lighting as opposed to Metal Halide or a combo? Again my understanding of the lighting isn't that amazing, how many T5 tubes would I need in my tank?

I believe that Vertex Protein Skimmers are the best, I will have to look into places that sell them near me. I have read a number of posts that suggest beginners stay away from reactors and rather have a good sump with protein skimmer, dbs and refugium???

16. EnvironmentalBro

Thanks guy, I'm studying through Unisa and working part-time for and Environmental Impact Assessment company. I will probably do my honours through Wits, its nearby and they offer good courses :)

Recent Posts