My first Salt water tank

Al

Damsel
Reaction score
Hi Guy's

Just got my first salt water aquarium this evening:thumbup: . I bought the Boyu TL550. Bought a some test kit's, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite and Calcium

RO Water
Instant Ocean salt
Seachem Aragonite
Seachem Stability
Hydrometer
Digital Thermometer

6Kg Kenya/Fiji Live Rock

Will set it up tomorrow evening and keep everyone updated.:biggrin:

Al

Damsel
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder, forgot about that one! Will start with FOWLR and then maybe move to SPS.

robski

Shrimp
Reaction score
Oh, just a couple of pointers: Remove the 3/4 black sponges from the rear chambers, remove the ceramic tubes in the black nets and the bio balls. then buy some filter floss (R5 a bag) at your LFS, and shove this down under your skimmer. Change this weekly, with your 10/15 % water change. Also make sure all your water wells down the right hand side of the black rear wall are closed. Then perhaps get some wave makers to get your flow up.

Other than that, enjoy setting it up tomorrow, and dont forget to post pics of your progression.

sunburst

Foxface
Reaction score
Don't remember welcoming you Al, so welcome to MASA. Congrats on the new tank. Where have you stored your rock, if you only rigging up tomorrow?

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
My personel choice is stay away from filter floss, get a skimmer :whistling:

Al

Damsel
Reaction score
Mekaeel/Robski will definetly take your advice. I have ordered a Seio power head. Will be getting it today or next week.

Sunburst,I chose and bought the live rock i want but i left it at the LFS. So i will fetch it today.

Thanks for all the advice. :lol:

shrimp

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
also remember to cycle with lights off to prevent algae growth .. enjoy ..

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
You sound like someone thats going to be succsesful Al looking forward to seeing your awsome tank in a few months.

crispin

Kingi Angel
Reaction score
hey al, best of luck with starting up. going to be great to watch your progress. keep us updated and if u have a camera, Rory will be asking for pics soon:)

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Lol, I was wondering where the pics in this thread were :p

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Rory, your weird.

Al

Damsel
Reaction score
Thanks guy's

Just set up my Boyu TL 550 salt water tank :) . The water is still cloudy. I have 7.5kg Fiji and Kenya Live Rock. I will post some pictures in the next day or two.