My first Reef

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mrk drkng, 13 Feb 2011.

1. mrk drkng

mrk drkng

I wanna Get a reef but I have no Idea what equipment I will need.The tank is going to have a water depth of 450mm.Can some pls give me a list of equipment that I will be needing for this tank (lights,calcium reactor,etc)Pls also give details on equipment.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Q89

Q89

:googlenub:

Sorry, I just had to MD.

Well, where to start, some more detail about the tank will help alot, how many liters, sump, no sump ect. And if you can tell us what you what to add, as in fish and corals, it will also help.

4. mrk drkng

mrk drkng Thread Starter

Its fine Q.Yes it has a sump.The tank dimensions are 91 x 32 x 60( 10 cm thick sand and water will be 5 cm from rim).About 160L.Corals wont be alot Mushrooms corals,Star polyps, Ricordeas, leather corals and maybe a brain coral.I would also like to have a Bubbletip ane,one and a clam of some sort.For fish I would say 4 blue green chromis,2 false perula clowns,1 lawnmower blenny,1 cleaner wrasse,1 hermit crab,2 cleaner shrimp and a fire goby.

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

- you need a decent protein skimmer (reeftek etc)
    - suitable substrate such as fine crushed coral/aragonite/play sand
    -lights. If you want to keep soft corals then you can get away with just 4 t5's... however if
    you want to keep a clam or nennie you will need Metal Halide lighting and in such a small tank it would defiantly result in temperature problems so you would need to buy a chiller or install lots of fans. As you can see with the extra equipment let alone the knowledge it takes to take care of nennies and clams, its not worth it now. So I would advise you to skip the clam and nennie until you know what needs to be done and you are ready to keep such specimens..
    -Flow pumps (2 x 3000L sun sun flow pumps will do)
    -heater
    -good quality glass hydrometer (like aqua medic) or refractometer to measure the SG of the water
    -RO filter
    -SAlt (get a decent salt such as red sea or tetra, or even better Sea chem)
    -return pump for the sump
    -lights for the sump if you intend to keep macro algae
    You fish list is fine for the tank. What compartments do you have in the sump? Pics would help :)

6. seank

seank

Are you planning on using natural seawater??/ If so, is the water at Swakopmund very cold??

7. mrk drkng

mrk drkng Thread Starter

Not sure.Yes it is verry cold.Why u asking?

Recent Posts