My First Reef Tank

Reaction score
Hi Guys

So the Bug Has gotten hold of me, been Diving a long time and the time is here to start my own Reef

The Tank is 1000 x 500 x 800 MM (L x W x H)

Hardware:
  • Reef Octopus TS2
  • Bubble Magus Rock WP4000 Return Pump
  • SOBO WP-300M
The Rest of the toys Are Coming i am looking for a Radion light for the tank

Special Thank you to @scottyD

Photos Will Follow

Stand.jpg

Last edited:
Hey! Welcome to MASA and congrats and starting your journey!

You tank design looks good. I do see an overflow in the pic so i assume the tank will have a sump. Just my 2 cents worth...800mm for me is a bit high. Too much height and you will struggle with PAR at the lower levels of the tank (usually will need to spend even more on lighting to try and compensate for the height). Have you considered maybe going a little shallower?

Thank you

the tank was my Tropical fish tank just Modding to be come a Reef Tank
but the 800 mm is not easy if i need to get to the bottom of the tank my self that is why i am looking at Radion Lights the ppl i spoke with all say they should make the light i need and i am thinking of keeping my T5 14ooo kelfin light running

800 deep is nice. But a mission to pick anything up that is at the bottom.

Depending on your rock stack. High stack and the corals can easily be in less than 400mm deep water. But yes, Radion lights are very good.

Hi

Can anybody tell me what is a good time to let the tank cycle before i can add livestock like crabs...

depending on the quality of your liverock.

Especially if you can smell the rock (obviously outside the water :blush: )
Then it can take up to 6 weeks.

Best is to test especially the ammonia levels.

cool

i will test the water end of next week that is 2 week in to cycle and check

what should my levels be?

I am using special blend and 100 litre of water came from @scottyD he did a water change and gave me the water to help with cycle

Reactions: EFJ
Still give the cycling process some time. A nice indicator would be when you see lots of copepods and other little critters dancing around the rocks and substrate. By that time you given the pod population to grow and then you can start adding your CUC.

From the little i know, rather have it cycle a bit more since you've got "prepared water" and dosing with special blend. unless you can source some live sand. rather take it slow.

i decided on taking a shortcut and got some rock and polyps to help speed he process. i had to remove everything i put in as a shortcut because there were some aiptasia on the polyps and rocks and now im back at waiting.

Just my 2 cents...

Alkalinity 2.5-4 meq/L
Salinity 35ppt 1.026Sg
Magnesium 1250-1350 ppm
Calcium 380-450 ppm
Ph 7.8 - 8.5
Phosphate <0.03ppm
Ammonia <0.01ppm
Nitrate <0.02ppm
Nitrite <0.02ppm

Last edited:
I am running the cycle for 2 more weeks