My first reef tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Salt Peter, 29 May 2012.

1. Salt Peter

Salt Peter

Hi all!
    Very new to reef keeping and this is my first post so here goes.
    Aquarium:
    Red Sea Max 130D. Just ending the 12th week and everything seems fully cycled with the parameters within range.
    Base:
    15 kg live rock with aragonite substrate.
    Fish and invertebrates:
    1 Talbot Damsel, 2 Occelaris Clowns, 2 Black Mis-bar Clowns, 1 Algae Blenny, 1 Cleaner Wrasse, 1 Pyjama Cardinal, 1 Regal Tang, (yes, I know but he is very, very small and my excuse for upgrading to a 250D later)!
    1 Blue Legged hermit crab, 1 Turbo snail, 1 Skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 Red Fire shrimp and various slugs and unidentifiable things that emerge from the live rock at night.
    Corals:
    Coral garden comprising a mixture of Zoanthus, Green Star polyps and Button polyps, Pineapple coral, Green Metallic Torch (awesome!!), Kenya tree, Sea whip, Pulsing Xenia, Hammer, Green Striped mushroom, Galaxy coral and Blue Cauliflower Sponge.
    Addictive does not begin to describe this hobby. Our PVR hovers at 95% full coz CSI and Blue Bloods just can’t compete with “The Reef”!
    Very special thanks to Bryan and Justin and everyone at Jungle Aquatics in Broadacres. Your advice and patience is much appreciated and we wouldn’t have been able to do it without you. You guys definitely know your stuff!
    By the way Justin, please stop phoning me during rush hour on a Friday afternoon to tell me a new stock shipment has just arrived – It’s just not right!
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, hope you enjoy your stay with us. Nice tank :)

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Welcome to the forum.

The blue tunicate coral "Nephtheis (Oxycorxnia) fascicularis" top right is a very difficult coral to keep. How long have you had it?

View Nephtheis (Oxycorxnia) fascicularis

Last edited: 29 May 2012
  5. mytank

mytank

Nice setup and welcome to the family!

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

I saw that at jungle aquatics. I was like *** is that :huh:

7. bryan

bryan Sponsor

BROADACRES SHOPPING CENTRE, Fourways, Sandton, JHB
    Hi Peter !
    Welcome to MASA
    Always a pleasure to help :thumbup:
    lol @ Justin ... :lol:
    Catch up soon....

8. Salt Peter

Salt Peter Thread Starter

Hi everyone.
    Thanks for all the responses!
    With regards to the question about the Blue Cauliflower,I have had it for six weeks (got it at Jungle Aquatics in Broadacres). I loved it from the moment I saw it but, after doing some research I was a bit worried as to how it would fare in my tank. When I first got it, it had huge “heads” which slowly detached themselves. It then developed a sort of slimy cotton wool over large parts of it which had me convinced it was dying. I decided, (after getting some advice from Bryan), to leave it in the tank and monitor it closely and the detritus slowly sloughed off (with the help of the algae blenny). It started forming new heads immediately which never quite got to the original size and then detached again. This cycle has continued ever since, taking about 10 days from detachment, to new growth, to detachment again. When this first occurred I removed the “heads” from the tank because I was worried they might contaminate the water but now I leave them in the hope that they are somehow a reproductive process. Nothing has happened yet but the "heads" just float around for a few hours and then disappear (not into the skimmer). Whether they just disintegrate and get eaten by the shrimps etc or just decompose is a mystery, but either way, I never see them again. One thing that does worry me is that the main body seems to have slightly reduced in size over the last 10 days and this does coincide with moving it closer to the Galaxy and Torch and a lot higher in the tank, (it was originally on the substrate). Another thing that happened is that one of the ‘arms” slowly reduced and disappeared but this happened before I moved it. Other than the slight reduction in size it seems healthy.
    My advice to anyone that has one of these corals is that if they look like they are dying they may well just be going through the cycle described above, so give them a chance before removing them.
    If anybody has any information on the reproductive process or the longevity of this coral it would be much appreciated as it is one of my favourites if not my absolute favourite.
    All good things.

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bud I don't think anyone on MASA has had success with this coral. Maybe @Jaco Schoeman has tried one in his NPS tank.

I did try one a year or two ago and it lasted about 4 months. It did what you say.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Salt Peter

That’s very disappointing to hear but who knows, maybe I’ll get lucky with this one. Having said that I have just had another good look at it, (and moved it away from the Galaxy and Torch as well as lowered it), and it is definitely shrinking. I’m wondering if it is slowly starving…

11. crispin

crispin

hello salt peter and welcome to masa:)

thats a lovely looking tank you have, i'll bite my tongue on the tang though:)

as Nemo's said that coral is difficult to keep and its feeding is very hard. I wish you luck with its feeding, but be awear that feeding Non photosynthetic corals in a small new system can play havoc with your water quality and parameters.

12. Salt Peter

Hi Crispin

Thanks for your welcome and comments. Any advice on how to care for the Blue Cauliflower would be much appreciated. I currently feed all the corals twice a week with Seachem Reef Zoo Plankton and Phyto Plankton which I administer via a syringe directly onto or around the corals. I then leave all pump / skimmers off for about 10 minutes.
    By the way, the Tang is only 35mm in length and, as I said in my first post, is an excuse to upgrade to a 250D or, (I can dream), a 500! Failing that I already have a home lined up for him when he out grows the 130D.

13. crispin

crispin

salt peter, im afraid i have no experience of feeding them as I simply avoide the more difficult corals and feeding requirements (fish included). Simply makes my life easier and i generally know a fair amount about each thing I add to a tank. Your best bet is to research hard on the cauliflower coral and if you come up blank on what to feed that specific coral then look up feeding NPS corals in general.

But i can add from what Ive read twice weekly feeding for a Non photosynthetic coral is way too little. They need dedicated systems and dedicated reefers, often growing out theior own fresh cultures of phyto plancton etc. fresh living plancton is far better than freeze dried powder form, but keep with what you have just feed smaller amounts more often, IMHO

14. Salt Peter

Hi Crispin
    Thanks for all the info. Your advice regarding more frequent feeding makes sense. I’m going to try some targeted zoo and phyto feeding with a syringe on a daily basis for a while and see what happens.

Recent Posts