My first reef aquarium RSM 250

Reaction score
Since changing over to natural sea water, suffering from a little diatom bloom which I’m hoping will die soon, my white sand is now brown but all in all everything is still alive and well.

Attachments

Reaction score
I’m really battling with diatoms, the stuff just doesn’t wanna go away. My nitrates and phosphates are barely detectable so I know it’s not a nutrient issue. I haven’t tested for silicates as I don’t have a test kit for that but hoping to get one soon. The only changes I can think of before this started was changing the T5 lighting over to ecotech radions which I run at 40% on ab+ program and daily water changes using natural sea water. I’m presuming it’s the sea water, apart from that the sps are doing well. Here’s some random shots. Would appreciate any advice as it’s really starting to annoy me:m24:. Oh well, I guess it’s time fo a beer, happy reefing to all:cheers2:

Attachments

RiaanP

Reaction score
your random shots looks good.

Reaction score
Looking great, every time I see this thread I want to start my tank up again

Reaction score
Thanks bud, what’s stopping you from starting again?
I previously didn't have the best experience, could never really get the parameters right and could never really get the skimmer right (think an ATO would have helped me a lot).
Although I did travel alot then and could not properly look after the tank and think I rushed it a bit too much.
- I now work from home, so can spend more time on it

Then been thinking should I get a bigger system (from initial setup of the 250 I wanted a bigger one) - although I believe harder to keep right, so maybe not the right move.

Was actually just looking at the startup costs for a Red Sea Reefer Peninsula out of interest as I would love a tank like this and I have a great spot for it in the house. I also another spot for a big custom tank but that will be way out of my price range.

Reaction score
I previously didn't have the best experience, could never really get the parameters right and could never really get the skimmer right (think an ATO would have helped me a lot).
Although I did travel alot then and could not properly look after the tank and think I rushed it a bit too much.
- I now work from home, so can spend more time on it

Then been thinking should I get a bigger system (from initial setup of the 250 I wanted a bigger one) - although I believe harder to keep right, so maybe not the right move.

Was actually just looking at the startup costs for a Red Sea Reefer Peninsula out of interest as I would love a tank like this and I have a great spot for it in the house. I also another spot for a big custom tank but that will be way out of my price range.
My system is a 250 and I’m no expert in the hobby but my tank parameters are stable, I test weekly and the results are more or less the same every week. All I can say is, start from scratch, my tank was cleaned out and the rocks soaked in a solution of bleach so the environment was totally sterile when I started. Patience will lead to success. I believe the bigger the tank the better as more water volume will result in smaller parameter swings. I use a doser and it works well. If you testing regularly, you can adjust the doser to suit the uptake. Funny you speak of a Red Sea peninsula as I have one collecting dust in my garage (not for sale). My wife gave me an ultimatum that I can only start that tank once I retile the house:m85: but I’m in no rush, after all Rome wasn’t built in a day:cheers2:

Attachments

Reaction score
Makes sense regarding smaller parameter swings.
I only got a doser shortly before I shut the system down so wasn't able to really see if it helped.

Got me excited for a second, then i saw not for sale :m23:

I need to pay for renovations and wedding before I am allowed to splash out again, so even slowly starting up the tank now is going to be a fun talk

Top Bottom