My first marine tank

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by Sabi, 18 Jul 2008.

1. Sabi

Sabi

Hello guys.
    As some of you may know i've been wanting to setup a SW tank and recently got down to doing it. I filled it up , say about a month/ a month and half ago. Had it running since then but only got my LR (9.5kg) on tuesday. The total water volume is about 200L+ incl the sump. The tanks itself is a 3 foot high. I'm not 100% sure this still falls under 'nano' but if not move it to a more appropriate board.I dont have a dsb as yet, maybe in a few months i'll give it a shot, and i will slowly add more LR.
    I picked up some critters from the local waters of which some i'm not sure are good.

0,1 and 2 and are shots of the tank.

- 3 Is a pic of a tiny crab that i found today. It hasn't moved, so i'm hoping its not dead but it wasn't there last night.

- 4 and 5 are 2 snails i picked up from the beach when i started cycling.

- 6 and 10 are of, er something that came with the LR. You guys can tell me what it is, i've no clue but its definitely alive and amazing to watch.

- 7 Is just a snap of LR.

- 8 Is a hermit crab from the beach.

- 9 and the bottom pic is a starfish i also picked from the beach. I had just had the tank running for 2 weeks and said i'd try my luck. I see he lived tho i wasnt expecting it to survive an uncycled tank. Trying to figure is he good or bad. Active lil guy.

:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Nice to see you got started Sabi :)

The starfish in pic no.9 is a common local starfish, appear to be reefsafe, but for the life of me I can't remember what they are called :(

5. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

nice man

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Sabi - very nice to see you starting out! Great going! At first, that crab might develop later on into a little monster. So, IF you can catch it, do it now while you don't have too many fish in the tank, and corals etc...
    Secondly, the starfish is called a mini cushion star. I used to have many of them in my tank previously. The crab could most likely kill the starfish later on. So, catch the crab and place it in your tank's sump.
    I just want to suggest something - if you don't mind: perhaps see if you can get hold of some SEIO pumps (even if it is 2nd hand). They work FAR better than those power-heads you have now. They are ok to start off with, but later you will most likely want to change them in any case. BUT, then, it's your choice!

Otherwise, your 1st pics are looking like you know what you doing! Great going!

7. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
    Jacquesb, dont mind at all. I want to get better pumps and will do soon. Waiting for $$ ;). Thanks.
    So its the crab to worry about and not the star? Catching them (ya, i found another) will be a mission as they stay in the LR all day. But I'll give it a try. The starfish wont attempt killing other smallish inverts fish etc? I think i have a serpent starfish as well, saw it half out of a hole at night. During the day he just lets his arms hang out of the hole.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Sabi - no - the star fish eat algae and detritus. You don't have to worry about the cushion stars at all.... not even with corals..... :)
    The brittle-stars are cool too. You probably have a white micro brittle star.... Serpent stars have smooth long slender legs.... where the brittle star's legs are not smooth and round - they are mostly slightly prickly and angular (diameter wise)....

They are absolutely GREAT to have as well. They come out at night. Good thing, is that they actually breed in our tanks once the tanks have matured more.

9. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

An update from the member down under....lol

Ok cool. I only see these buggers legs anyway. There are quite a few of them.

The crabs i've been trying to get out, they always dart into holes when they see movement, but i did get 2 out of 7/8 or so into the sump.

The cycle is FINALLY ending. I tested end of last week and got only traces of ammonia and nitrite. I ended up getting a yellow tail damsel to help finish the cycle, as i was getting bung that something was wrong with whole setup. Cant believe it took abt 4 months!

I'll make a thread for my stocking options soon.

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hey, Sabi, your cycle hasnt been completed yet. Do not introduce any livestock. Amonia is highly toxic.
    Also 4 months for cycle? Was the rock that you used cured?

11. Andreas

Andreas

yip mek is right. With a fully cured tank Amonia should be undetectable so to nitrite.Did you add more live rock recently?

12. scubaninja

scubaninja

shouldnt have really added livestock while the tank was cycling either:whistling:

13. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

Ok hold on, let me explain.....

As i last said, from the time i started cycling till now, it has been around 4 months. Long, very long. First 2 months i hardly tested the water but the last 2 months i have, and ammonia/nitrite readings were wavering on- ammonia-0.25- and nitrite 0.1-. After 3 months went i started worrying what was happening. I couldnt understand it, i was doing water changes with either RO or sea water and vacuuming up the bottom but still i was getting readings of nitrite and ammonia. Something was dying off or something was not quite right, at least i felt so. Doing some more research, i thought that maybe adding a fish would help it along, after all some ppl do cycle with fish cruel as it is. Yellow tail damsel was the hardiest fish, so i got 1, more as a test. 2 hours after acclimation he was swimming around happily. I've had him about a month now, he's still alive and well. My reading now are just above 0, as i mentioned above. No, i'm not completely cycled but after waiting so long and to finally see readings that low makes me feel i'm nearly there.:)

No i shouldn't, but since right wasnt coming right i tried wrong to see what happens.

I wont be adding live stock until i see 0 for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate 10-, you may be sure!And yep, it was cured. The lfs told me so and from what i read abt cured LR it matched the description, ie, coralline algae, tube? worm and lots of mini life forms.

Hope that explains whats been going on better.

14. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

No i didnt. But i'd like to add gradually after a couple of months?

15. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Not necessarily. There could have been die off if the rock was out of the water for long periods of time (At times you wont even pick up the stink). But surely it should be fine now. What about your test kits? What brand and how old are they?

16. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

I see. They are red sea brand, not the best of kits but all i can afford now, lol. And they are a couple of months old. Would it matter tho? Because my lfs were getting the same readings, they use the same kits, however.
    btw thanks for the replies, i didnt mean to sound defensive in the above posts, think the fast was getting to me.

17. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Don't worry, Mekaeel is just as grumpy, we just ignore him now :lol:

18. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

You mean i'm grumpy, lol.

19. Sabi

Sabi Thread Starter

Anyway tested again today and yesterday. Nitrire is 0 but ammonia is -0.25.
    I sucked up the dirt at the bottom and have been doing abt 10-20% water changes a week as well as top ups.
    Do you guys think something is wromg or do i just have to wait?

Recent Posts