My First Marine Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by johnrosshorn, 26 Feb 2014.

1. johnrosshorn

johnrosshorn

Hi Guys

This i my first attempt at a marine tank, the photos below is how i set everything up, total i have spent about 14k now on the tank, its been cycling now for about 2 moths.

Would love some advice as to move forward, so here it all goes.

The Tank details:
    4ft tank with on steel stand and a custom sump
    4x 54w Giesemann T5’s in hood with waterproof end caps
    TS1 skimmer --- Not to sure if this will be enough as my total water volume is 335L
    Return pump - 2600 l/h
    2x Jager heaters
    1x Resun wavemakers with controllers that can go up to 15 000 l/h(Want to take it out)
    1x Seio 10k Surge pump
    1x Seio 2k wavemaker
    Hailea HC-150a Chiller with feed pump of 1000 l/h --- This one i think might be to small aswell
    Aragonite substrate 8kg to cover the whole of the bottom.

24 kg of base rock --- looking to put in 2 -> 4 kg of live rock i can get from someone to get it going faster.

I might need some advice on how to ensure that the skimmers depth is correct and how to keep skimmer bulls out of the sump as the sump is overflowing with fine bubbles from the skimmer.

So let get this going.. :)

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RynoParsons

RynoParsons

Nice start. Really cool atu unit you got there

4. johnrosshorn

johnrosshorn Thread Starter

Thanx the atu was a pretty penny...

5. RynoParsons

RynoParsons

Yep they do cost a pretty penny haha but still very cool.

6. ozzie

ozzie

Hi John the tank set up is nice but without live rock I don't believe your tank could of started to cycle yet. U need to buy live rock asap and reduced the amount of base rock in ur tank

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

There's no problem starting your tank with base rock. Have you added any bacterial supplement?

8. ozzie

ozzie

please explain how u can start a cycle on base rock?? I don't agree and not a fan of bacterial supplement.

9. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Nice looking tank. A slow start is a good start. As for the rock they dont look like base rock they seem to be porous enough to be dead rock (potentially live rock in the future). You need to add some form of bacteria supplement or get some live sand from a fellow reefer who has had their tank for a while or go and buy some live rock that will help seed your tank with bacteria. Some guys prefer live rock that has not been used for a while with a lot of dead organism on them to help with the cycling, that way you will get the right type of bacteria you want in your tank once the cycling process has completed.

10. jclaas

jclaas

Count on the base rock to have dead organisms on and feed the imaginary fish in your tank.

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

The whole purpose of cycling a tank is to allow the die off in hte liverock to be converted to harmless biproducts and in so doing establish biological filtration in the rock.
    By using base rock, you wont have any die off as there isnt anything on it to die so youll need to add a bacterial supplement to get the biological filtration going. Many successful tanks on the forum have been started this way.

12. nudibranch

nudibranch

I cycled my tank like this. I think the only thing is that it takes slightly longer to complete the cycle.

13. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Welcome and good luck.

Only advice you need right now is go slowly and research everything before buying livestock :thumbup:

14. johnrosshorn

johnrosshorn Thread Starter

I'm still treating the tank daily with Seachem Stability, i have been adding some food here and there just to much, i did the same for my other freshwater tanks and had success, i prefer going slowly as it gives me time to learn the in's and out's. not new to fish keeping but am to marine.

Will be adding some live rock to the tank in following week +-, depending on work. I have no idea on what to get for livestock. :D haven't looked that far, as my favorite so far is the Mandarin fish, my hopes of getting one soon is far off, maybe in a year's time.

What would you suggest for the best starter fish ???

15. ozzie

ozzie

Hi John I would suggest coral first if u decide on a coral reef safe tank. Go for some hardy corals like leathers, mushrooms and zoas. Be selective on you fish and don't just go buy the first fish u see in the pet shops I learnt this the hard way. Always start on your smaller fish first to establish there hiding spaces in tank. Then place your last bigger fish last. Chromis, goldies great for schooling, set of clown fish, jaw fish, blennies and fairy wrasses are all hardy. As your prize fish I would look at one or 2 tangs but introduce at the same time which prevents less chances on them fighting do this last.

16. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

If you are going to add live rock next week you will be staring a mini cycling process. I would wait for it to run its course before adding any livestock. Once your parameters are stable then first look at a cleanup crew before introducing any fish or corals. Once you got your cleanup crew I would first buy some easy to keep hardy fish to get used to the whole marine husbandry process. Only when you are comfortable with it all make a list of what you like and what you want, check compatibilty etc. then post your list on the forum for advice and from there start purchasing them. Remember dont buy too much at once rather bit by bit, that way you give your parameters time to adjust to the new bio load. Patience is key.

Recent Posts