My first Marine tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Dragonet, 18 Sep 2009.

1. Dragonet

Dragonet

Hi All

I have been here for some time now, but have been reading and following some of the threads in the back ground and most of all I have been learning from you all.

I have also been setting up my first Marine Tank, but I am not new to the game as I have been keeping fresh water tanks for about 20 years, hence the reason for taking my time to do things right the first time.

I have attached a number of pics of my tank now that I am finnished the building.

Now all I need to do is start filling and running the tank.

Please, if you guys can see anything that I may have done incorrectly please let me know so that I can rectify it before I start the filling process.

I hope this works???

[​IMG]

Here the Tank is finnally complete (Tank size is lenght 1500mm x width 450mm x deep 450mm) Holds around 290 L with the sump a total of around 380 L.

[​IMG]

This is the inside of the cabinet showing the sump, that will have a deep sand bed and live rock.

[​IMG]

My Reef Octopus Protien Skimmer all piped in with a by pass to be able to adjust the flow through the skimmer.

[​IMG]

I have piped in a UV Filter which is conected to a 1000L/Hr Pump which returns water to the display tank, I also have a second pump returning water to the tank at a rate of 2000L/Hr which doesn't pass through the UV Filter.

You can also see the plug arrangement above the UV Filter this is done so that I can un plug and replace anything if it should go faulty in the future without having to try and get in behind the tank when it is full.

[​IMG]

The only pump that I have in the tank is a wave maker (Resun 15000)

[​IMG]

I have 2 x 3Ft Reef white 10000 T5 tubes and 2 x 3ft Reef blue T5 tubes I also have 2 x 4Ft Life Glo T5 Tubes and 2 x 4Ft Marine Glo T5 Tubes.

[​IMG]

I have installed 6 blue LEDs which will come on before the main lights and go off after the main lights so that I can simulate Dusk and Dawn.

[​IMG]

Here the lid is open to show the lights, the rest are attached the un hinged side.

[​IMG]

I made up the control box that allows me to be able to trun on\off everthing that is in the system.

I am also looking for some live rock that doesn't cost the earth, if anyone knows where I can get please let me know.

Thanks guys for all the advise you have given in your threads that I have been following and for any future advise that you can offer.

Best regards from a wet Durban.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

wow looking very good so far Dragonet:thumbup: very neat setup.i like the way you have done your electrical...looks very nice;)

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

awesome setup!

nicely setup, look foreward to seeing this grow

5. brentnorm

brentnorm

Looks fantastic. Get some water in there so it can start cycling.:thumbup:

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Wow, truly amazing setup you have built there, so neat and professional looking! :thumbup:

7. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Wow very nice set up that you got...:thumbup:

8. H0nda42

H0nda42

Very nice and neat setup Dragonet. I like your electrical box and lighting, it looks good.

Where did you get the box from? Was it easy to assemble and wire up?
    good luck with filling and I look forward to some pics.

9. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome !

lovely build !

second this !

10. aslam

aslam

Hello Dragonet,you have certainly done your homework.I think your lighting is fine,seeing that your depth is 450mm.You will need to add more flow in the display.What are your plans regarding livestock,also what is your reefoctopus skimmer rated for.Unfortunately liverock is expensive,start of with about 30k's,you can use biorock as baserock.A stunning looking setup,looking forward to the progress.

11. Tony

Tony

A neat and beautiful setup you have there. One suggestion I would make is to add a piece of tubing to the 50mm elbow in your sump from your overflow so the water doesn't splash and get everywhere. I would also remove the white rocks from the sump

12. Krokodil

Krokodil

Looks very nice!

13. mnd123

mnd123

Very neat Dragonet, would you share with the forum your power control box? Great start!!

14. Annoying

Annoying

Awesome tank can't wait to see some fish in that!

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA officially, looks like you learned a lot as your tank and equipment looks great. I would just remove the small rocks from the sump, may cause water quality problems later on.
    Get yourself an auto RO top-up unit and put the float switch in the last compartment - will make your life easier as it will automatically top up the evapourated water.
    I would say to add one or two more flow pumps not sure if that one will be enough?
    What are you going to use as substrate? Or are you going bare bottom?

16. Hermanus

Hermanus

Welcome, looks like a great setup!!

17. Dragonet

Dragonet Thread Starter

Hi Tobes, I am looking at some of the DIY threads with regards to a auto RO top up system, but as you can see space is limited in the cabinet and I really want there to be nothing around the tank, so for now I will be the auto top up system. I am going to be using some artificial crushed coral that I bought from Northlands Pets awhile ago, so no bare bottom.

Hi mnd123 and H0nda42, the electrical box was an empty box purchased from Voltex, I also purchased the switches and timers (only one is visible from the outside). I then fitted all the switches and timers. I made neutral, live and earth buzz bars inside, then each pump was wired to these with the live going through a switch.
    I would take some pics but believe me the inside looks a bit like a crows nest.

Hi Tony, I do have a piece of tubing for the elbow, I just haven't fitted it as yet as it was easier to move the sump around without it in place, this will be done though. Thanks for the reminder as I may have forgotten it later when the excitement takes over. As for the small rocks, these were suggested to me by Northlands Pets as they would assist the filtration system. I do however understand what you guys are saying so I will remove these.

Hi Aslam, thanks for the input on my lights, I am so glad that they will do as I really didn't want to cut the roof to fit MH's. As for the flow, what would you recommend as being sufficient and do you direct the pumped water around the tank in the same direction as if trying to cause a whirlpool or would you point them in all different directions?

Anyway, thanks to all. I will post more pics with my progress. Will start filling tomorrow.

18. Tony

Tony

As far as live rock goes you can use a mixture of base rock combined with live rock to bring the costs down

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Very nice setup.

Just 2 questions and a remarks. Both questions are related in a way.

Do you have glass sliding tops on the tank. Looks like it.
    Nice to keep lights clean and dry. But they get dirty. Have to clean them as dirty glass blocks effective light going through it. It also prevent evaporation, or keep it lower, but evaporation itself should be usefull to keep the temp of the tank down, seeing you are in hot Durbs. If heat issues later on you can take them out.

Do you have ventilation in the canopy? The T5 globes do heat up a lot, and the heat must go somewhere. Out the back with some fans maybe. (This also applies to the sump area).

The live rock pieces you have there are after the DSB. You should not have that big buildup of detritus on it, so I doubt if it would be that big an issue. Is the water running through it? If you want to remove it, then I would use this area to be part of the DSB. But then you have to remove the last glass and move the divider between DSB and LR pices up to where the last glass are currently. A DSB should have the biggest footprint you can have.

20. Prodigy

Prodigy

Welcome

21. Prodigy

Prodigy

Welcome to MASA

Recent Posts