My first marine tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by marinenoob, 3 Aug 2009.

1. marinenoob

marinenoob

Hi,

I have just emptied my Juwel rio 240 tropical tank to make it into a marine. I am new to the whole marine setup. I have just yesterday emptied my tropical tank and using the std filtration added crushed coral and marine salt. How long should this run before i can add live rock and fish and no coral for the meantime? Do i need a protein skimmer and powerflow heads if i only intend on putting like two fish and maybe a crab or two? if so what is the best fit skimmer for a juwel rio 240?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prodigy

Prodigy

Welcome and yes plz add in live rock it will help your cycle do not add fish or corals in yet... got any pics of your system pics will tell us alot about your system...

4. Jaak

Jaak

I take it you're not going to be putting in a sump? How many litres is your display tank? What kind of budget do you have? If you are going to be putting in a sump there are quite a few in sump skimmers you can choose from, look in the classifieds you can pick up a Reefoctopus for a good price usually. Some of the other brands are a lot more expensive but the do an unbelievable job. Otherwise you can get a hang-on skimmer from Reefoctopus, they do a very good job.

5. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Any chance of posting a pic of your tank?

6. marinenoob

marinenoob Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response. My budget is not great so for now i'm doing one bit at a time. I don't think i want to add a sump at this stage maybe later. I am having problems with uploading photos but as soon as i get it right i will. Is a skimmer a nessecity immediately as i would like to make the right choice this time round?

7. Jaak

Jaak

If you're going to have fish in the tank, I would say absolutely! If nothing in the tank will create a bio load then you can get away with weekly water changes. How many L's is your tank?

8. marinenoob

HI,

Its a 240L tank, so with like two fish and live rock and no skimmer i will have to do weekly changes? So i better get a skimmer then.

9. Jaak

Jaak

I would say if you're only going to have 2 small fish, then you can get away with weekly water changes and cleaning your substrate regularly. Try to put a sump in with a dsb and skimmer, that'll be your best bet long term...

10. marinenoob

I have a Juwel tank(RIO 240) would a hang on skimmer. I don't want add in a sump yet as budget is tight.

11. dogstar

dogstar

If you plan to add a sump later, and dont want to use an overflow box (siphoning out the water to the sump), make sure you drill an overflow hole in your tank now, before you add water.

12. marinenoob

Still don't understand the advantages of a sump. Is bio filter not enough. Also I have to decide on whether to purchase a skimmer or powerflow head before putting in fish. My 240l tank has a pump turning 600lph. is this sufficient initially?

13. dogstar

dogstar

Sump has quite a few advantages some of which include:

Increasing the water volume of your tank, resulting in more stable parameters
    Place to put a dsb
    Place to connect reactors (phos, carbon, calcium, kalk) and skimmers etc

am sure other guys will give you more reasons for a sump - or google.

14. marinenoob

Hi,

If i decide on a sump can it be done without drilling as i have been informed that the glass in my tank is not drillable. if so what size would be required and also what is an average cost?

15. dogstar

dogstar

If you don't drill, you need to build/buy an overflow box. If you buy an overflow box its quite expensive, not sure what they go for, expect a new one to be more then 1K.

Sump size, as big as you can fit. They not that expensive, look on the forums for second hand sumps or tanks which you can covert to a sump

16. marinenoob

ok, how big should it be? for a 240l tank? and do i keep my original filter in place still.

17. marinenoob

[​IMG]

Hi,

Here is a pic of my tank.

regards,

18. marinenoob

[​IMG]

and of the filter

19. dogstar

dogstar

no fixed size for a tank, go with what ever can fit under your tank comfortably.

Not sure about your current filter, i reckon that might have to go, as it might become a nitrate factory.

20. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

Yes Marinenoob to dut in sorry guys your sump must be at least 80% of your main tank's size. First see how big sump you can fit in the cabinet under your display tank. Your filter is the most important part of your marine setup it is the hart of your setup. So I whould strongly advise you to get a sump filter. On that size it will not be that expensive but safe you lots in the long run. Your sump should be divided in to 3 chambers first one inlet from your tank where you eventually going to put your skimmer,heater and ext. second chamber DSB go and bay 2 bags of play sand.

They go for R50 a bag. Just wash and wash till water is clear and then in the last chamber your return pumps. Your tank should cycle for at least 6 weeks before you add any fish you can add some snails after 2 to 3 weeks. In your cycle period you dont need to put in a skimmer. when you add your live stoke then the skimmer must be added. Your current filter will not work. If you do this rigth from the start you will same your self same serious money.

21. brettb2020

brettb2020

what you have to understand is that imitating the sea in a small fish tank is ALOT more difficult than imitating a fresh water dam or river. that jewel tank is designed for fresh water so the standard biofiltration in there wont be enough.

HOWEVER! northlands pets in durban has that exact tank running with the standard filtration and just added a canister filter. not even a skimmer. and the tank is stunning! BUT! THEY DO HUGE WATER CHANGES! and its alot of work as that is the only way to pull out extra nutrients and waste. your bioload has to kept at a minimum too..

another thing is that bioballs and ceramic rings and filter floss tends to catch detritus where its left to rot causing high nitrates. but cleaning them regularly will sort that problem out.

but after all that work and money doing water changes and cleaning, etc you better of with a skimmer and preferably a sump. gonna save you money.

Recent Posts