My first marine tank, RSM 250

Chiller is up and running.

I connected the Sicce Syncra 3.0 to the chiller and the return feels about half of my 2400 lt/hr pump. Thumb suck.

I have solved my high ammonia - low nitrite - high nitrate problem. My Salifert Nitrite test is bust. Same water, same temp test above 1 at lfs after 1 min instead of the whole three minutes with Red Sea kit. My Salifert test still test zero.

Good news is my cycle is busy.

Plan to get a new nitrite test to monitor.

Inverter connection help.

I have a deep cycle battery. I have an inverter that can charge this battery when power is available.

The inverter only has the pos/neg connections for the battery and 1 mains power socket. How do I connect the mains to the inverter and my inverter to my equipment to run when I only have one socket?

Last edited:
Congrats on the new tank mate, looks like you are off to a good start.

Tok

Cool tank man. do you mind sending me a pm with the details of were you got the chiller and inverter - prices if possible - many thanks.

GHA, phosphate and Biocubes.

I was worried about my phosphate levels 1.0 mg/L and the developing GHA.

Did a 20% water change and added Biocubes. I have had the biocubes for 7 days now and they are turning slightly brown. They apparently only start working after 2 weeks but I have seen threads with daily tests showing some positive results.

Take one:
Add 250 ml biocubes to supplied bag with airline and big white marbles for weight as suggested with the bomb method. I hung this in the front of the tank just to see how it works and I became worried that it won't fit all that well in any of the back chambers of the RSM 250. I have seen some nice tube or reactor type setups from dallasg and others and I thought I would try make one.

Take two:
Tupper ware 500 ml with lid. Drilled the top and bottom and added coarse floss to the top and bottom and then ran the airline from the top through the container and out the bottom. I had predrilled the last 4cm of the airline with a tiny drill bit about 40 times as some of the forums I have read suggested that it would be better than using an airstone that could block. I then closed the tube with a cable tie on the bottom tip and added another at the top to keep the whole thing in place. I had to add more drill holes around the edges to improve air and water flow.

IMG_2126_zpsb5119f07.jpg

Take 3:
The whole thing looked a bit slap dash and I thought I could do better. I bought 63mm dark blue pvc with end caps. Drilled the end caps extensively, placed the cube with marbles in a bag and in the tube. Ran the airline from the top through the end cap, past the bag and out the bottom as before. No filter floss used as the cubes were in the bag and should not drop out the holes. Worked well and I could actually feel suction at the bottom end cap due to airflow out the top.

IMG_2133_zps0f746c9a.jpg

IMG_2134_zps0fde6bf7.jpg

IMG_2135_zps6ddeacfc.jpg

I ran it in the front for a day to see how it works and then placed it in the second from the left when viewing from the front chamber where the media rack is.

This caused problems with my ATO float so now my set up from left to right is:
1. No more big black filter sponge, only return pump.
2. Polishing filter half open
3. Only Biocubes DIY
4. Skimmer
5. Heater with original black sponge to make sure clean water reaches pump to chiller
6. Pump to chiller and return, ATO float and thermometer.

ATO is working a lot better.

Should I also remove the last big sponge? I am worried that "gunk" could get into my chiller when I clean the tank. Or is this an unnecessary worry?

Phosphate now between 0.5 mg/L. Don't know if it's the cubes or not, but assuming it is and all is working well.

This is rather interesting and I look forward to seeing the results.

However I cant see how different it is from running bio balls in the rear chamber which eventually turn out to be nitrate factories.

Most if not all RSM250 owners have removed all the black sponges in the rear chambers as they are not needed and clog. The only filter used is the polishing filter.

The best way to prevent GHA is to keep on top of you tank maintenance, NEVER over feed and change out your lights every six months.

Tok

This is rather interesting and I look forward to seeing the results.

However I cant see how different it is from running bio balls in the rear chamber which eventually turn out to be nitrate factories.

Most if not all RSM250 owners have removed all the black sponges in the rear chambers as they are not needed and clog. The only filter used is the polishing filter.

The best way to prevent GHA is to keep on top of you tank maintenance, NEVER over feed and change out your lights every six months.

Tok

Biocubes and bio balls are different things. Orca Nitraguard biocubes are a form of carbon dosing. Have a look at the thread by irie ivan on the front page of masa.

I have removed the large black sponge but I am worried about putting macroscopically "unfiltered" water through my chiller and have so far left the smaller black sponge in. Do you think this fear is unwarranted?

Last edited:
Biocubes and bio balls are different things. Orca Nitraguard biocubes are a form of carbon dosing. Have a look at the thread by irie ivan on the front page of masa.

I have removed the large black sponge but I am worried about putting macroscopically "unfiltered" water through my chiller and have so far left the smaller black sponge in. Do you think this fear is unwarranted?

The Nitraguard is similar to the Purigen by Seachem I'm running in the rear chamber.

I've been running unfiltered water through my chiller for the last 4 years with no ill affects. I was supprised to note at how little wast was in the chiller reservoir when I disconnected it from the second tank I had.

Tok

The Nitraguard is similar to the Purigen by Seachem I'm running in the rear chamber.

I've been running unfiltered water through my chiller for the last 4 years with no ill affects. I was supprised to note at how little wast was in the chiller reservoir when I disconnected it from the second tank I had.

Tok

Thanks, that's very reassuring. I am going to remove the other filter as well.

Hey man tank looks really great, all the best and sure the waiting must be killing you now.

Thanks @devesh.r!

I am 35 days in, my parameters look good and my lfs just got stock in today.

I'm going to go have a look tomorrow morning!

Still trying to be relaxed about it. I want to get a few snails and a cleaner shrimp... and a zillion fish!!!!! No seriously, just one... maybe.

I think I might get a single easy to keep coral and let the fish wait. Some of what I have read suggests adding CUC, then some corals and only fish at 3 (to 6) months!

Also going to look at some cheap tanks for a QT tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom