My First Marine Tank 1.2m

rhox

Marine and Reef Connection
Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im new to marine fishkeeping and this is my first marine tank. I bought her about 5 months ago from a guy in cpt who sold me the whole system.
A 300l display tank with a 100l sump. A Reef Octopus HOB 2000 skimmer T5 lighting ect.
It has been a long wait to where I feel comfortable enough to post pictures of the tank as I recently put two fish in.
Please feel free to ask questions and give advice I am eager to learn.

Hi everyone. Im new to marine fishkeeping and this is my first marine tank. I bought her about 5 months ago from a guy in cpt who sold me the whole system.
A 300l display tank with a 100l sump. A Reef Octopus HOB 2000 skimmer T5 lighting ect.
It has been a long wait to where I feel comfortable enough to post pictures of the tank as I recently put two fish in.
Please feel free to ask questions and give advice I am eager to learn.
masahello...pic's please..:biggrin:

What's you'r CUC like..? (clean up crew) looks like GHA(green hair algae)..? Easy to remove...so to speak...with more CUC...or upping parameters..increase flow..check light's...feed less...scrub rocks and/or all of the above..and then some..:p..nice "open feel" to the look of the Tank..:)

I got some corals with the tank but suffered a meltdown early on due to a sand sifting starfish :(
I lost alot of life but some corals survived.

IMAG3400.jpg

IMAG3402.jpg

IMAG3398.jpg

Could you do a close up of the green algae...it looks "lighter" and I think you could have BRYPOSIS..:(..that is a bit of a mission to remove...:(

Haha yeah I have some cusion stars and a algea blenny. Also Im not sure about the lights I dont know if they are maby a little old

Haha yeah I have some cusion stars and a algea blenny. Also Im not sure about the lights I dont know if they are maby a little old
If you have a Algae Blenny and you still have that green algae, then changes are that it's BRYPROSIS...they don't chow it...here is one of many Links on MASA regarding BRYPROSIS..in the end..scrubbing you'r rocks can go a long way to help combating that Algae..and upping you'r MAG...one of many options..;)
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=30684
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=32691
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=20581

Last edited:
Thank you very much I will go look. Im trying to add some phosphate absorber and im pulling out what I can.

this better?
Does the close up resemble this...?
IMG_3176.jpg

Notice the feather detail on the algae. This is what you are looking for in your tank to confirm or deny identification. If you do have it be prepared for a fight:

1. Try to get on it quickly. If it is only on one rock remove the rock, remove algae, starve of light in a QT.
2. Manual Removal - If that doesn't work or get it all, remove all you can by hand. People will tell you not to do this because it will spread. Let me assure you, left untreated byropsis will spread. Just be careful about it, and if you can pull the rock out to remove it all the better. If takes hold in the sand sift it out with a net. If you don't remove the base of byropsis you are wasting your time.
3. Starve it out - As always if you can get down nutrients nuisance algae has a harder time taking hold, or coming back after manual removal.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 aggressively.

5. If that doesn't work try raising your magnesium to very high levels. I don't want to be blamed if this causes losses in your tank, many people have done this with great success and minimal stress, but still....please do your research and don't blame me if something goes wrong.
smiley.gif
I say QT. Here is a good article:

Reef Central Online Community - Finally an easy solution to bryopsis!

John's Tip: save your money on CUCs, if it is truly byropsis the normally sold CUC members, (in regular numbers at least), will not finish it off, only pick at it which is what we can do with manual removal in 2 minutes time. Opaque cutouts shaped to cover an area of byropsis can be put between the light source to shade them out. Remember fire and corrosion concerns, tupperware might work, but remember soap, chemical contaminant concerns.... Home Depot bucket lids make good cutouts.
http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/ultimate-nuisance-algae-thread-58657.html

Um lol I have so much algea I think I may have some of that. I will go look more closely but the majority is not that. Thank you for showing me.

Um lol I have so much algea I think I may have some of that. I will go look more closely but the majority is not that. Thank you for showing me.
Then that's excellent...:thumbup:..they really are a mission to remove...:) ..have a look and see if "Maiden Hair Algae" resembles the algae that you have..

Last edited:
This is some of the stock I bought from cpt end of last month.
Sadly the Platty only made it a week.

What petshop sold you a platy for your tank? im sure its a molly, and in all honesty, unless you REALLY like mollies, don't keep them in marine tank..they take up space that nicer propermarine fish can go in;)

Hi man are you using crushed coral?Also what are your PO4 readings?

Back
Top Bottom