My first clam

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently got my first clam and wanted to find out what the best care would be for it. Position of the clam ? I put him on the soil for now-is that ok or better put him on a rock ? Also I have it in medium flow ... that ok ? All help appreciated. If putting it on a rock is it ok to cement it to the rock ?

Do not at all glue it to a spot. clams walk around and get their spot. Mine is on substrate with no problem. Low flow. Just receives good lighting and its been happy

Last edited:
i really like mine to be on the substrate but due to my starfish and sand sifter who both move the substrate a lot, the clam ends up on it's side .... what do I do then, just leave it ?

ok so will put some flattish rocks down on the substrate and see if it attaches - that would be the best of both worlds then. Whn you say the move ... how fast ?

Note that some clams want to be on substrate, other species want to be on rocks.
Which specie do you have?

@VicZA you and i both have boring clams, we both got them from robsharkbait if i'm not mistaken? readup that they called boring clams as the bore into rocks by opening an closing and therefore attaching themselves to the rock.

i initially placed mine onto the substrate and noticed it wasn't opening up fully and then i moved him up onto the rocks and he has since attached to the rock and is opening up fully.

So maybe as you suggested place it onto a small flattish rock to attach to and them place your rock on the sand if you'd like your clam placed there?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Asheen, yes I got it from Rob. Here is a pic. I don't know how "fully" open is but he seems pretty happy. I will put him onto a rock and watch for changes. Thanks for the help.

Clam.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom