My first attempt underway

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ChristopherM, 15 Nov 2014.

1. ChristopherM

ChristopherM

It's with a lot of excitement that I type out this post, but before I say anything further I'd like to say thank you to all those who have assisted me with some starting questions.. thank you.

I'm running a Juwel Lido 120 with a Skimmer 3.0. I haven't turned the skimmer on yet as I don't see a point so I'm not sure if I'll have the micro bubbles problem but that's a discussion for another day. I'll turn it on once I have some rock.

This morning I put in a bag of Red Sea Live Reed Base for the substrate and have filled the tank up with RO water. The filter is on and the wave maker is going. The tank is INSANELY cloudy, but because I'm using a fine sand I presume it'll take a good few days to settle?

I've got Red Sea Coral Pro Salt Mix to add, but decided to do that once the water has settled a bit as the salt is really expensive and just in case I have a problem I don't want to waste it.

My next step would be to acquire some rock and I'll do that hopefully towards the end of the month, just weighing up the options between Fiji, Kenya and Real Reef Rock, etc.

I'm a beginner, I'm open to all and any pieces of advice!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Yep, the sand is probably the reason for the cloudiness.

4. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Thread Starter

@TaahirS Assumed so, guessing I'll just have to give it a couple days. Patience is a virtue and all that :D

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    Dexter likes this.
  5. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Oh yes, before I forget, we are going to need pics:whistling::biggrin:

6. ChristopherM

Not much to see, haha.

[​IMG]

7. Reaper

Reaper

@ChristopherM, I used the same substrate when I started my Boyu TL550, and after the same problem (which I initially thought was caused by the salt - same as yours) I realized even though it's sold as "live sand" it's not really alive. Those bags are kept in the wrapping for months sometimes before someone buys it, so there can't be anything alive in there any more.

The sand should have been washed before adding it to the tank, that would have helped a lot with the cloudiness. I have used a liquid called Clarity, that helped to get the water clear within a day. I added some filtering wool to cash the particles, and washed it daily until it was all resolved.

Also make sure your salt is mixed well (at least an hour or 2) before adding it. Not sure how you're gonna accomplish that seeing as you have fresh water in the tank already. You maybe should have mixed the salt before adding the water. What you possibly can do is to remove the current water, wash the sand, mix salt water, and then add everything again.

8. ChristopherM

@Reaper I had assumed that actually, the sand has probably been in the bag for at least several months with zero oxygen.

The tank is looking WAY better now. I've had the filter running with some really fine floss for about 12 hours. I removed the wave maker for the time being because it was causing some problems and I've added the salt already.

Things are looking up:

[​IMG]

(excuse the sideways images, I'll figure out alignment at some point)

9. JS

JS

Their would have been loads of live bacteria in there....you also add some microbactor to the tank...it will help clear the water faster...

10. ChristopherM

@JS There seems to be many opinions about live sand, so I'm just rolling with the punches so to say. It's clearing up nicely, but I will look for Microbactor although I'm in no rush. I'm only going to get some real reef rock in a couple weeks and only plan on fish etc in January so I'm happy to wait for the water to clear up :)

11. ChristopherM

[​IMG]

12. JS

JS

Looks good.

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Killing us with the sideways pics :tt2:

14. ChristopherM

Having run the tank for a couple of days now, the dust has gone and things are looking far more promising.

This is the tank with the Skimmer 3.0 off:

[​IMG]

This is the tank with the Skimmer 3.0 on:

[​IMG]

You can see a lot of microbubbles in the tank, which come from the outlet at the bottom right of the skimmer. I've read a lot about this and believe that a combination of introducing live rock and so forth will assist with the bubbles as well as potentially putting more floss in the skimmer. There are billions of bubbles though so at some point it will need to be solved, that much I can say.

@viper357 - I resorted to hosting the images on my server because I honestly cannot get them to stop going sideways *go figure*

15. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Must be iPhone pics :whistling:

Skimmers generally tend to release a lot of bubbles when first used, I would advise to leave it running, once it's 'run in' the bubbles should hopefully stop after a few days.

16. ChristopherM

Haha, yes, iPhone 6 pics ;)

Agreed, I'll get some rock and get that into the tank, not too worried about the skimmer at this point as I know it'll take time to get worked in. Cheers for your comment though, instills more confidence!

17. ChristopherM

So today I went to grab some Real Reef rock from @flappy and was incredibly stoked to see how amazing this stuff is. We carefully selected 3 pieces and I've placed them in my aquarium. Can't wait to see how the tank starts cycling!

Anyone who's thought about Real Reef rock or having a big tank installed, @flappy is your guy!

IMG_8304.JPG

IMG_8305.jpg

IMG_8306.jpg

IMG_8307.JPG

IMG_8310.JPG

18. Reaper

Reaper

Those are some seriously good looking lr... @flappy you don't perhaps have some tiny bits you want to get rid of. I need for my refugium

19. flappy

flappy

Reaper I actually do have....pm me

20. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

That rock looks great.
    Like your scape, plenty of space for coral

ChristopherM likes this.
  21. ChristopherM

@TaahirS I've made a couple of adjustments today just to get a better balance in the tank. It's very similar, I'll get some pics up soon for you.

Now I guess I must just wait. I tested ammonia and the levels are fairly low so I guess that's a good start. I did use some Seachem Stability though, which will have helped.

I'm still working on water flow to get that right, and grief, I need some wavemakers that are quiet! :D

Recent Posts