My first 86L hex nano by Mrclownynennie

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Mrclownynennie, 12 May 2013.

1. Mrclownynennie

Mrclownynennie

Hi guys it my first salt water tank if you want to hear the whole journey you guys can read my old thread The start (equipment) .So basicaly its a 86L hex here is all the specs.Filtration done by a cascade 300 with activated carbon.Heating 150 watt via aqua heaters.Lighting Ai.m marine blue moon.Skimmer diy made.Live rock kenyan nano live rock.Saltlinty aquadene hydrometer Pictures coming soon

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. devesh.r

devesh.r

Sounds cool

4. chikaboo

chikaboo

Will be waiting for progress pics and just shout for any advice ... We will try our best to assist .... Get ready for the journey of a lifetime and enjoy the ride

5. Mrclownynennie

Mrclownynennie Thread Starter

Thanks guys.Unfortunatley my tank is 86L and the bucket I have is a 25L so my tank is only a quarter full of sea water:lol:Here's pics

IMG-20130512-00319.jpg

6. Mrclownynennie

Sorry guys here's a more clearer detail of the specs of my tank.Filtration cascade 300 with GAC.Heating 150 watt via aqua heaters.Lighting Akwa AI.m marine blue moon light.Skimmer diy made with a sonic air pump.Gravity and Saltlinty aquadene floating hydrometer.Live rock kenyan nano live rock.Planned live stock six line wrasse,ocellaris clownfish,yellow clown goby.Dosing GAC and seachem stability.So this is all the specs of my aquarium.:biggrin:

7. Mrclownynennie

FTS yeah

IMG-20130512-00320.jpg

8. Mrclownynennie

One with the lights off

IMG-20130512-00321.jpg

9. Mrclownynennie

Any questions feel free to ask

10. Mrclownynennie

Ok so think I have finally made up my mind on stocking,here's the plan 1 yellow clown goby,1 six line wrasse,1 yellow tail damselfish,1 ocellaris clownfish.I have also been thinking that I'm going to be putting in some coral later on so far I have done my research and I think these are the corals that I like zoas,kenyan tree coral that's what I have seen and what I like.Please give any suggestions or any advice its always welcome:thumbup:

11. Mrclownynennie

Also do you guys think the fish will be compatible and are my coral choices easy to care for thanks guys looking for all the advice I can get.

12. Mrclownynennie

Hello anyone wanting to help me:please::please:

13. yuma girl

yuma girl

hi - i haven't been in the Hobby for very long but i have done a LOT of research - the fish you have chosen seem to be OK as they are all smaller types - only the Damselfish may be agressive as they generaly are quite the bullies.. just a note on the clownfish - if you are looking at getting another one in the future then in would add both at the same time rather as you may have problems later..

you may look at these as well as they are great - Blennies ( Midas Blenny, Bicolor Blenny).. just in a small tabk dont keep two types of Blenny as they fight so either one or the other.

as for coral - things like Zoa's, mushrooms, leathers like pin cushions and Kenya trees, maybe some star polyps as well as galaxy are nice..

thats my 2 c worth - i am sure more experieced guys will also help you out.

14. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

hi

first of all your tank looks like it doesnt have eough water in it have you filled her up (please sent us some more updated pictures)
    How long has your tank been running for have you checked any of the water quality test .ie have you brought any test kits

have you put the live rock in your tank yet.
    at are you going to be using for your sandbed

I wouldnt buy any live stock untill you have finished your cycle 3 weeks - month depends..
    as for corals do you know how many watts your light is and because your tank is deep i dont think your light is adequte to keep even low light corals

Last edited: 15 May 2013
  15. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

Hi Mrclownynennie,
    did you build the tank yourself? looks very good. im not an expert on fish but i suspect that the damsel fish can be a bit aggressive and might have a problem with the other fish you've chosen.

i would really like to see a picture of your diy skimmer... i love DIY

16. Mrclownynennie

Ok thanks guys for the advice first of all @Fraser W please don't speed read I have already said that the bucket I have used was 25L and my tank was 86L so that why its not completely full.Hot sauce thank you on the compliment but I did not build the tank myself it was built by rainbow aquarium.Sump still needs to be built so only then will I share my diy skimmer @Fraser W I do reasearch before I buy my fish and I know about the cycle and ammonia and nitrite and nitrate and my live rock is right now as we speak on cargo ship from kenya so right now I'm filling the tank, live rock will be here in two weeks.Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. Mrclownynennie

Ok did a param test today saltlinty sitting 1.028 temp at 26 degrees still need to test ph haven't tested the other things cause I just have water in the tank now;)

18. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

hi mrclownnennie

i didnt mean to come through so strongly i just wanted to find out a bit more about the system

how long is it going to take you to fill the system
    usually when a tank is a started up with live rock and water to start the cycle

when you add your live rock to the tank that is when your cycle is going to start and thats when you should start start seeing ammonia,nitrite and nitrogen

happy reefing

19. Mrclownynennie

That's fine I understand what you meant the tank will hopefully be filled up by saturday live rock coming in two weeks though

20. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

i remember when i got my nano tank (actualy it was a present from a friend that i helped setup his tank) i had no RO watter, no salt, no rocks (live or dead :) ) ... nothing. but i was so excited that i just filled the tank with tap water and ran it like that for about 3 weeks till i managed to get everything i needed.. it was a long wait but worth it in the end

21. Mrclownynennie

Now that's what I call a very eager reefer don't worry I might have done the same;)Sorry newbie speaking what is RO water

Recent Posts