My first 500 ltr custom tank build progress

So today the tank is 3 weeks up and running, i do daily water tests and its all in check
Salanity 1025
Temp 25 degrees
Nitrates 2
Phosphates 0
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1300
Alkalinity 8

No diatoms on the sand bed even, I'm really happy to see the results after 3 weeks already, I had a lot of comments about the tank that cant be started the way i did it and that i will get diatoms etc...

I have added a few more things to the tank, some orange type chalice on the left side, dont know the name.

129b800b-3ea3-49f5-b7d1-953df3d67285.jpg

bfa498b9-48fe-4892-9720-3c5e76689663.jpg

Last edited:
I have added 2 pepperment shrimps in the mean time, only have a picture of the one

Also added 4 more snails, dont know what type it is but it has a black and white shell, no picture

90c77dbb-cf51-4168-afe7-0704447acdf0.jpg

This weekend that went passed I added 2 black clowns "juveniles", the other 2 clowns just checked them out and they swim happily together,

6f439b5e-bf94-4245-9246-0c600905b2f4.jpg

I have also started to feed the corals reefroids every 3rd day, have only done it twice now, heres a picture of the mushrooms after i spot fed the reef roids.
I have also started to dose fusion 1 and fusion 2 every second day, it was being dosed at 2ml every 4 hours which makes it 6 doses per day at 2ml each and total of 12ml each every second day but the alkalinity and calcium kept dropping so i adjusted the dosing to 3ml every 4 hours every second day, its seems the calcium levels went up from 435 to 440 in 2 days and the alkalinity from 7.3 to 8.
I will just keep monitoring this until i can get it to stay stable.

I dont know how people take these perfect pictures of their tanks but the samsung S5 certainly is not the right tool for it.

c57f72da-daed-4ac5-bad2-689a0e62743f.jpg

Last edited:
The goby is making mountains of sand around its rock and its making huge holes in the sand, he seems very happy still, its my favorite fish

e646a530-a586-4658-983c-76be88294584.jpg

So today the tank is 2 and a half months old, alot has changed since my last update so its time for another update.
First off all heres my parameters

Salanity 1025
Temp 25 degrees
Nitrates 1.5
Phosphates 0.05
Calcium 460
Magnesium 1300
Alkalinity 8

And heres a full tank shot:
d9f53eda-e145-4ca0-9767-a529bd2bae59.jpg

Last edited:
So I got alot of liverock and corals from a friend that neglected his tank, with this came 1 clownfish that looked like a "bokom" almost, a yellow tail damsel that caused havoc in my tank and a yellow watchmen goby that made my sand sifting goby stay on one side of the tank so they had to go, was a big mission to catch them but eventually they were caught.
I managed to get the clownfish eating again and he has been introduced to my tank yesterday and he is very happy hosting his nennie on the bottom.
I had a cyanobacteria outbreak 3days after i added his liverock so i knew something was wrong and it came down to phosphate spike, it went to about 2 when i measured it with a salifert kit, i started to do 50 liter water changes every 3 days and added phosgaurd and it seems every thing is clearing up, i still have a very slight amount of cyanobacteria in the corner of my tank where there is little flow, hopefully i can sort it out

Now I have to many clowns 3 orange ones and 2 black and white ones so the orange pair has been sold and I will get rid of one of the black and white ones, this lets me have one orange and one black and white clown, both small still
I also have 5 shrimps "2 pepperments, 2 cleaners and 1 fire shrimp, and a few turbo snails.

Posting pictures

Last edited:
That pillar on the right looks impressive.

Although I would be afraid it will topple over.

d9f53eda-e145-4ca0-9767-a529bd2bae59-jpg.jpg

I got a 3.2m tank. Got one pair clowns staying for years on the left. My sons tank, his snowflake eel is getting a bit big and the male clown started to look like food. I put his pair on the right of my tank, own anemone. All good and well for 3 months. Then one day, the bitch on the left noticed the other pair on the right. There are a 1.5 m distance between them. Big pincushion in the middle blocking view.

And the bitch on the left did not like the sight of the other female. Killed her within 2 days. Swam the whole tank, all 3.2m of it searching for the other one. Even after she moved on to fish heaven. The bitch now got two males. One on the left and one on the right and she jumps bed between them.

Other guys are lucky. Most likely younger females. But I do not trust older females, the jealousy in older matured females are just too much.

Last edited:
I got a 3.2m tank. Got one pair clowns staying for years on the left. My sons tank, his snowflake eel is getting a bit big and the male clown started to look like food. I put his pair on the right of my tank, own anemone. All good and well for 3 months. Then one day, the bitch on the left noticed the other pair on the right. There are a 1.5 m distance between them. Big pincushion in the middle blocking view.

And the bitch on the left did not like the sight of the other female. Killed her within 2 days. Swam the whole tank, all 3.2m of it searching for the other one. Even after she moved on to fish heaven. The bitch now got two males. One on the left and one on the right and she jumps bed between them.

Other guys are lucky. Most likely younger females. But I do not trust older females, the jealousy in older matured females are just too much.
Hi Riaan, all 5 clowns at the moment is happy but I only want 2 clowns though, then i need to add a school of fish but dont know if i should go for chromis or antheas, any input or experience from you guys would be appreciated, after that i will add another tang or 2 then im pretty much done with what I want in the tank

Wow dude. this tank is amazing, really really dig this setup. Inspiring:m106::m106::thumbup1: Keep the updates coming.

Wow dude. this tank is amazing, really really dig this setup. Inspiring:m106::m106::thumbup1: Keep the updates coming.
Thank you, yes I will update every once In a while, need to find an affordable yellow tang now and need to decide on what school of fish i want to add

Back
Top Bottom