My Favorite Invertebrate

Reaction score
Coolest invert in my tank and most sociable.
528479787a67d949.jpg

My redleg hermits are my favourite inverts, they have a comedy quality about them.

I love all my inverts.

But one of my favourites is a new addition I got from Likesfish.

I have not seen it since the day I put him in my tank but I know he is still there and alive cause of the noise he makes when the lighs go out.

It is a pistol shrimp.

I love all my inverts.

But one of my favourites is a new addition I got from Likesfish.

I have not seen it since the day I put him in my tank but I know he is still there and alive cause of the noise he makes when the lighs go out.

It is a pistol shrimp.

Have you got him a shrimp goby mate ?

No I have not. I was not aware of the commensal relationship between the two.

Found this on Wiki - quite interesting

Snapping effect
The snapping shrimp competes with much larger animals, like the sperm whale and beluga whale, for the title of 'loudest animal in the sea'. The shrimp snaps a specialized claw shut to create a cavitation wave that generates acoustic pressures of up to 80 kPa at a distance of 4 cm from the claw. The pressure wave is strong enough to kill small fish.[7] It corresponds to a zero to peak pressure level of 218 decibels relative to one micropascal (dB re 1 μPa), equivalent to a zero to peak source level of 190 dB re 1 μPa at the standard reference distance of 1 m. Au and Banks measured peak to peak source levels between 185 and 190 dB re 1 μPa at 1 m, depending on the size of the claw.[8] Similar values are reported by Ferguson and Cleary.[9] The duration of the click is less than 1 millisecond.
The snap can also produce sonoluminescence from a collapsing cavitation bubble. As it collapses, the cavitation bubble reaches temperatures of over 5000 K.[10] The light is of lower intensity than the light produced by typical sonoluminescence and is not visible to the naked eye. It is most likely a by-product of the shock wave with no biological significance. However, it is the first known instance of an animal producing light by this effect.

Very cool little guy... As long as you know it is him making that noise. Otherwise he will drive you insane.

Warren, when he gets used to you putting your hand in the tank he will climb onto your fingers and clean your fingernails, really cool.

Wow palmerc, that was really interesting, potent little buggers.

Warren, when he gets used to you putting your hand in the tank he will climb onto your fingers and clean your fingernails, really cool.

Wow palmerc, that was really interesting, potent little buggers.

Wow, interesting, going try that out

He may give you a bit of a nip so be prepared for it, don't suddenly pull your hand out of the tank flinging him onto the ceiling. It's not sore, just a bit unexpected, but really cool.

Back
Top Bottom