My experience and new tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Reidwan, 21 Apr 2008.

1. Reidwan

Reidwan

OK here it comes fellows, I will attach photos at the end as always asked and i have a few questions for the experts at the end.
    I done quite a bit of reading on this since hobby since last year June and like anyone new took advice and jump into it .As always experts are always to proud to say out loud to the new guys starting out by advising them that this is a expensive hobby out right. and also the famous advice bigger is better. I went out and bought a 2m tank that had built in filters on the side again experts and LFS told me to take it out and get a sump. after pricing glass to build a sump i was dumb founded, then Paid a visit to Peterb LFS and he sold me a sump 1200x400x400 with the front glass cracked for R200 bucks I then went to a glass shop and bought a new glass 1200x400 and paid R580 bucks.ok so now I had the basics, you guys must be joking then I had to drill a hole in the tank and create a outlet for the sump which cost me another R275 for a glass cutter to come to my house and drill this hole for me.OK now I thought I could start and then was shocked on the prices of salt instant Ocean, gravel ,heaters, lights ,LR etc and boom I took a step back and relooked this. By accident I walked into a LFS and bought my current tank below which came with everything to start and paid R5000.00 for the lot.Thats a brief history of how I got suckered or started. Below is what I have currently and it has been running now for close to 3 months now.

Tank Size
    888 x 778 x 730
    LxDxW

Sump
    700 x 570 x450
    LxDxW

4 Compartments
    Cotton filter fibre
    Media/Bio Rings
    DSB 15 CM Sea sand with piece LR
    Cotton filter fibre
    Media/Bio Rings

3 x Power heads

2 x 300watt Heaters

Inside sump

1x small Jebo Protein Skimmer
    Outside sump

1 x SA 2013 Weipro Venturi Driven Protein Skimmer

01-Feb-08​

Tank Contents
    4cm Crushed Corel sand

15kg Live rock

2 dead white coral

Lights
    1x Jebo Luxline Plus F25w T8 10 000K

1 x Marine Glow 24 x 58.98cm 20 w

1 x F17 50/50 T8 Reef Sun/200 med 24/610mm

Date
    20 February 2008

Tetra Test Kit

PH
    Hipo Angel Test SG/Salinity

SG
    API Test Kit No3

Nitrate
    5/10 ppm (mg/l
    API Test Kit No2

Nitrite
    0 ppm (MG/L

Temp

Hydrometer
    In middle of green

Added Fish
    1 x Blue Damsel

2 x Bana Damsel

1 x YellowTale damsel

2 x black widows

6 Hermit crabs

24/02/2008
    Added the 2 Protein skimmers

09-Mar-08​
    Removed 4 Hermit crabs to sump

09-Mar-08​
    Tested second time

09-Mar-08​
    PH

SG

Nitrate
    0 ppm (MG/L

Nitrite
    0 ppm (MG/L

Temp

Hydrometer
    In middle of green

Added 9/03/2008
    1 x Green Yoostone

2 tube worms

1 x Copperband Angel

30/03/2008
    1x green zoo

2x rasse cleaners

1x anemone brown

Then on the 10 April added 2 x 250 MH that i bought from Rob vd in CT.

here is my concern and questions?
    1.I have my air bubbles in th back of my tank and have been told to take it out.
    is this advisable or not as the bubles created a nice flow at the top of my tank.
    2.I bought few mushroom rocks -1x brown,1x green and 1 x red and these dont seem to be growing much- what can/is the problem
    3.I bought a rock from Andreas with zoos on and it has been almost 3 weeks and they still have not opened- what can/is the problem.

[​IMG]
    tank going through it cycle

[​IMG]

cycle done – hopefully

[​IMG]

my Sump

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my green Yoostone I added

[​IMG]
    My Anemone from Andreas with my new clown
    [​IMG]
    My overall look but just added 2 MH on top

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reidwan

Reidwan Thread Starter

Apologies Will Have To Check About Posting Pictures Again

4. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

please do:whistling:

5. lindsay pollard

lindsay pollard pipefish

Riedwan this is an expensive hobby,but it is also a pasion for me,im sorry to here that you feel like uve been suckered into it,but im sure some of the gurus on this site will help you out with the right knowledge and in turn you will start loving this hobby,the best way to go about this hobby is take it slooow so that your pocket doesnt feel it to much.now where are those PICS

6. Brucemg

Brucemg

7. Brucemg

Brucemg

8. Alfie

Alfie

Welcome to MASA Riedwan. Get those pics up and lets see if we can help.

9. LikesFish

LikesFish

Well for starters I would remove the T8's - they are not powerful enough for a reef aquarium. I know you mentioned that you got some metal halides - just make sure that you have enough lighting.

I would remove the biomedia (ceramic noodles, bioballs etc) - they are all considered outdated technology and a cause for nitrate buildup.

Zap the airstone - that is for tropical tanks. In marine tanks we have good flow in the tank by using wavemakers/powerheads/dedicated flow pumps inside the tank to move the water. Note that airstones do not oxygenate the water by means of the bubbles - it does so by creating turbulence in the water, hence improving surface oxygen exchange.

You mentioned you have 3 powerheads. I assume one is used to return water to the main display. That means you have two in the display tank for water movement? If coral does not show polyp extension two of the most important factors (apart from water quality) is light and flow. Ensure that you have good flow - not highly directional but more random.

I do not know your brand of skimmer(s), but make sure they are working properly.

PS: You have to *upload* photos to some image hosting service - you tried to reference them from your local machine.

10. LikesFish

LikesFish

Oh another thing - if I understand correctly your tank has been filled with water for 3 months now? I assume then you have had your livestock for about 2 months? Coral does not always grow so quickly that you will see growth in 2 months time. For the first couple of weeks the coral tries to adjust to your water parameters. Thereafter - provided sufficient environment - will they start to grow.

Another thing - 15kg LR will not help you a bit in a 500L tank. You need at least 70kg.

11. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Spot on advice from Likesfish, check out our uploader, very simple to use (well i can use it - and i'm not by any means a computer expert);)

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Reidwan - Yeah - well - you right. Keeping marines seriously does end up costing a LOT of money. No jokes there. BUT - you can always start off small/cheap. And then as you GET money, upgrade. It's like the saying "Rome is not built in one day", and ANYTHING done TOO quickly in this hobby is BAD BAD BAD! (except for taking your lifestock home quickly - between the LFS and your home)....

I started off in 2005 with my 300 litre fresh water tank, where I chucked in some sea sand, and using my standard T8 lighting, AND internal filtration system. Kept my first fish (of which died last year December - in my new 2 metre tank - which has a LOT of bell's and whistles already)....

I did not buy any skimmer, did not have a sump, and only had +-15kg's of live rock, with a LOT of rock I collected from the beach!
    I did not really have algae problems either. I kept soft-corals, an anemone, and about 10 fish with ANY real problems. EXCEPT my nitrates were FAR too high.

I then found SARK, and then later on MASA. I then got a 2 metre tank, 1.2 metre sump, MANY power-heads, 2 x metal halides, T5 lighting, 2 skimmers, phosphate reactor, etc etc - AND ENDED UP WITH NUISANCE HAIR ALGAE PROBLEMS AND BRYOPSIS PROBLEMS THAT PLAGUED ME FOR 2 YEARS!

That's how it goes - sorry man....

BUT - we learn - we keep on learning. And unfortunately, every time we learn something, we change something, and every time we change something, it costs us money!

BTW: THERE'S NO HOBBY OUT THERE THAT DOES NOT COST A HUGE HUGE HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY! Think of golfers, think of PC's, think of cars and car engines! EVERYTHING COSTS A HELL OF A LOT OF MONEY!

13. Reidwan

Reidwan Thread Starter

photos as promissed and thanks guys for your comments I will respond in time[​IMG]

14. jacquesb

Tank is looking good Reidwan! NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

BTW: How old is your copperband butterfly? Is the fish eating?

15. Andreas

Andreas

hi Reidwan, thanks for telling us about your experience. things are not cheap in this game! but you cant deny that feeling you get the night before you buy new equipment!that's about all I talk about!my mind is always trying to think of new ways to improve things.LOVE THIS HOBBY!

BTW jacques your story seems so true to me. I started off pretty much the same as you and it seems that i'm heading in the same direction.

16. Raven

Raven

Hi Reidwan - I feel you pain dude!
    Things are extremely expencive in the hobby, alot of issues/problems/irrations will gross your path, BUT it's all part of the hobby!
    Just think how borring our hobby would have been if it was just a case of buying a tank and adding some fish to it....

This is one hobby that i would not exchange for any other hobby.
    Another thing - check out all the DIY stuff - you can safe alot of money and it works just as good.

17. Reidwan

Reidwan Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all your comments, please dont get me wrong I have kept tropical fish for the last 15 years and always wanted to go to marines, now that im in it ,its all that i do i have even discarded my old tropical 4ft tank and I am currently changing it too to a marine tank.The issue i have is lots of new people get mislead and i think its appropriate to just be open and upfront so at least you know where you heading and if you prepared to go that route.but I sit every morning and night without fail staring at my tank and the first few weeks were very interistink when the plant life on the rock started growing.I have posted more pictures but will find out what happened and repost them

18. jacquesb

Cool Reidwan! Shout if you need help with the posting of the pics!

19. Reidwan

Reidwan Thread Starter

more pics

more pics
    [​IMG]

20. Reidwan

Reidwan Thread Starter

pics

[​IMG]

21. jacquesb

Reidwan - how often do you clean out the filter floss/bio-balls and ceramic rings?

Recent Posts