1. Meneer

Meneer

I can see by the layers of reddish algae and bubbles that things are starting to come alive in my dt sand, but not much is happening in my dsb. My tank has only been running for 5 weeks. How do I know whether there is enough light in my sump?

DT Sand

[​IMG]

DSB

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

also noticed that my DT sand bed 'seems' more 'alive' than my DSB. tagging

4. inflames

inflames

Hi Guys,

What you have to realise is that most of what goes on in a DSB is on a Microscopic level, bacteria, aerobic and anaerobic. What you can see is the different types of Macro and Micro algae that grow in the relevant levels of a sand bed! You will have 100 of different little "goodies" that life in your sandbed. The reason you "see" so much more life in the sand bed in your DT is because of the light that feeds the different algae. The only reason to have a light on in your sump or over your DSB would be to grow cheato or the like, the actual reason for a DSB is for the nitrogen cycle and for the bacteria that is needed for this to be established in order for this to happen! Make no doubt, even if you cant "see" whats happening in your DSB, does not mean that its not happening!

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And, its a lot easier to seed the in tank sand from your live rock than seeding the DSB form the overflow. So either seed your DSB from another reefers decease free system. Just a cup full of sand out of his DSB into yours. Or put a piece of live rock half buried (2 - 3cm) in your DSB for a few weeks.

Recent Posts